Temporary garage / carport / tent

sandspider

Hi all

As above - thinking about getting some sort of tent / temporary garage thing to hold a small tractor, on softish ground. It will need to be strong enough to stay up year round in all weather conditions. I see quite a few on eBay and similar for the £200 - £500 ish mark, but all look a bit rubbish and often say they're not liable for wind damage - which defeats the purpose.

Can anyone recommend a good one? Ideally closer to £200 than £500, but don't mind paying a bit more if it gets a better product...

Thanks.

Just last weekend I helped my father in law remove the engine from his Subaru it's currently covered by this car port 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81020-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/?da=1&TC=GS-140613572&&gclid=CjwKCAjwiZnnBRBQEiwAcWKfYvhNzX-rq2_rBKq9p0OGLTUJyzL9hydP1S2AYHg6qQKPhpmPK5eHqRoCCRoQAvD_BwE

While I cant say what it's like in strong wind as it's currently between the house and high fence panels so rather sheltered itself it's been completely dry in the 6 plus months the car has been kept inside it & there was enough room for us to Jack the car up and work around inside it while removing the engine . Hope this helps 

I would go for that one instead of the 'instant pop up lattice work type' as it has a chance of staying up,with water pooled on it.

the others won't....my son used to sell them and loads were returned as they collapsed  when it rained heavily. Instructions said not to leave up so all warranties were void

54 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

While I cant say what it's like in strong wind .....

I can tell you exactly what they are like in strong wind.

Bought one a few months ago, same supplier and probably same model as described by Stephen-H.   Frame poorly engineered and extremely flimsy.  Tubes thin-walled and very slack where one is inserted into another (far worse fitting than the cheapest of cheap frame tents).   Bolt holes in the tubes are circular, so the square shanks of the coach bolts have nothing to grip on.   No washers supplied.

Anyway, I put it up and everything seemed OK at first.  The ground anchors didn't look very secure, so I put sand bags and some concrete blocks to weight the thing down, all the way round the edge of the fabric cover.   The only niggle was that the zips for the door flap kept undoing themselves every time the cover moved in the breeze.  

Then one day we had a gale, a rather strong one, and I came home to find the whole thing had blown away and wrapped itself around our apple tree, with the frame tubes bent and knotted like a cat's cradle.    I had erected the tent with the door away from the prevailing wind, but that particular gale was from the opposite direction, and I suspect the door zips came undone, letting the wind right inside the cover.

I reckon everything would have been all right if the zips had been more secure (I really ought to have fetched pieces of string and laced them shut) and the ground anchors had been twice the size.

The cover was completely undamaged, and is obviously made from very strong material.

26 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

How about a second hand polly tunnel covered with polythene and then plastic tarp?? Just a thought , I've seen some used by boat owners for winter storage. 

I think you are right.   Some of the cheap polytunnels sold by DIY shops are quite flimsy, but the good quality tunnels used for professional horticulture seem to last for years.    The ones being used for lambing sheds on hill farms must be capable of withstanding severe weather.

Hi all

Thanks for the thoughts. The flimsiness is my main worry, having had a gazebo that was described as "heavy duty" collapse after two days of minor breeze.

Beefed up polytunnel is a good thought, as I've had a fairly basic one on a similar site for 2 years or so with fairly minimal damage. Door's not big enough to get a tractor in, but there's probably a way! 👍