Crop watching.

JDog

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If the truth is known we spend as much time watching as we do shooting , both goes hand and hand with each other and as they say , time spent watching is never wasted , or words to that effect .

This is the truth of it. I have spent an awful lot of time watching recently, there is very little in the way of proper flight lines at the minute. As with most things in life intelligence gathering and doing your homework is the key to success. Currently Bream are drawing my attention more than pigeons. 

11 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

This is the truth of it. I have spent an awful lot of time watching recently, there is very little in the way of proper flight lines at the minute. As with most things in life intelligence gathering and doing your homework is the key to success. Currently Bream are drawing my attention more than pigeons. 

I dare say fishing is very similar to shooting when it comes to timing and weather conditions , I accept that not everyone have got the time to watch and wait till conditions are in your favour , but during these quite times by getting the times right and the wind conditions can increase your likely hood of success .

At the moment I have got 2 / 3 places where you can pass the time to get a few shots , I have looked at different times of the day and mid afternoon seems the most promising , next would be wind conditions , luckily enough , two of my fields have small flight lines along the hedge , one field face the East and the other one face the West , so if the breeze / wind is blowing from a Westerly direction then I go on the field where I can get the wind sideways or ideally having the wind directly from behind , no point in having the wind blowing in your face if you avoid it .

As you say homework is vital , yes you can just pull up to a field and get your gear out and start shooting , but these sort of fields are getting far and few between and even then you need to know the field to get the most from it .

GOOD LUCK with the Bream fishing .

57 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I dare say fishing is very similar to shooting when it comes to timing and weather conditions , I accept that not everyone have got the time to watch and wait till conditions are in your favour , but during these quite times by getting the times right and the wind conditions can increase your likely hood of success .

At the moment I have got 2 / 3 places where you can pass the time to get a few shots , I have looked at different times of the day and mid afternoon seems the most promising , next would be wind conditions , luckily enough , two of my fields have small flight lines along the hedge , one field face the East and the other one face the West , so if the breeze / wind is blowing from a Westerly direction then I go on the field where I can get the wind sideways or ideally having the wind directly from behind , no point in having the wind blowing in your face if you avoid it .

As you say homework is vital , yes you can just pull up to a field and get your gear out and start shooting , but these sort of fields are getting far and few between and even then you need to know the field to get the most from it .

GOOD LUCK with the Bream fishing .

The Bream are a little way off yet as the season is still 3 weeks away but I have found a shoal or two which I will feed in the near future. As with pigeons finding them is one thing catching them is another. 

Best of luck with your pea protection.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Thinking about the amount of time we spend looking for pigeons hitting a field or the amount of miles done trying to find that field, is it not possible WJ could use this fact against us?

You seem to be as paranoid as some other members of this forum. I thought you might know better.

Wild Justice is merely a lobbying organisation, nothing else. It has zero credibility with me. The pity is that Natural England have been allied to it for some time through some members of both organisations. 

WJ will not and could not possibly use looking for pigeons 'against us' when it is a perfectly legal activity. 

1 hour ago, JDog said:

You seem to be as paranoid as some other members of this forum. I thought you might know better.

Wild Justice is merely a lobbying organisation, nothing else. It has zero credibility with me. The pity is that Natural England have been allied to it for some time through some members of both organisations. 

WJ will not and could not possibly use looking for pigeons 'against us' when it is a perfectly legal activity. 

What I was trying to say was, WJ could argue that if these pigeons are eating all the crops as we claim they are, how come it takes so much time and effort just finding one field with pigeons on it?

What me paranoid, no.

You maybe correct if you had said I’ve been a bit vocal on PW about the mess caused by NE and WJ, that’s because some people seem almost blasé.

I guess I should not be so vocal, I’ve been fortunate I have seen the good years, 55+ years of virtually trouble free shooting, whenever I pleased.

My concern (paranoia) is for the youngster, tomorrows shooters.

concerned, yes.

Edited by old'un

1 minute ago, NatureBoy said:

Talking of paranoia! 😉 Anyone else watching countrybile tonight notice during the piece on pesticides they happened to show rope bangers scaring off crows twice and hawk kite over rape?. Maybe i care to much!    NB

No can't watch the Fluffy Countryside Show any more, but thanks for the report!

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

BRING BACK FARMING DIARY...:big_boss:....with "richard joyce"........

If only!  Countrybile has very big viewing figures and is only way some folk get to find out whats happening or how the countryside works how ever biased they may report it. It's up to us to expand on educate folk to the bigger picture of topics on the show that may have got peoples interest. WJ may only be a lobby a lobbying croup now and should only remain so but they have bigger plans. Read manifesto for wildlife! What they have done with the challenge om GL has got attention and the public interested. A lot i have spoke to are interested  and favour what we do, our views and the real conservation we do and can show them.   NB