One for the gun smiths

Harry136

Hi

Just recently bought a Browning B525, lovely gun, but the woodwork isn't anything special. 

As I can't afford ££££'s for nice workwork, I have decided to get the woodwork hydro dipped to look the part!

The only snag I have is the forend, I can get the metal bit that fits the action off the forend, but I can't get the underneath lever mechanism off.

Is it glued in or something else? How do I get it off without ruining the forend?

33 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Is it glued in or something else?

Its not glued in. If you have removed screws 33 & 87, there is an additional screw (86) that must be removed. With these screws removed the catch plate (85) should come out by carefully tapping out from within the forend. Care is needed, because the plate (85) can be a tight fit within its seating.

235791282_Screenshot_2019-05-2312-arn-432-citoripdf.png.4629aaa65e5e7e0a9bc9aa2706c18377.png

Edited by JJsDad

2 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

it’s the catch plate that is quite firm

If necessary, put the screw (86) back in, but only screw it in about 1 turn. Then carefully give the head a tap with a piece of wooden dowel to unseat the plate.

4 hours ago, JJsDad said:

If necessary, put the screw (86) back in, but only screw it in about 1 turn. Then carefully give the head a tap with a piece of wooden dowel to unseat the plate.

+1      after dipping / painting it will be even tighter so relieve woodwork before dipping save a load of drama later 

1 hour ago, Harry136 said:

Certainly not turkish walnut! But I would be interested to know what wood it is.

It could be Turkish or English or American walnut etc. as they are varieties of walnut not places of origin. I'd bet 10:1 it's walnut simply because it's the best wood for the job, not because it can be pretty.

There's plenty of boring plain grained walnut around. Just look at grade 1 Berettas.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so what wood are these 525s stocks made of ?? 

I would imagine it would be black walnut. 

I personally would rather live with a real walnut stock even if it was a bit plain than have an artificial finish put on. Surely in time with wear or damage it's not going to be so easy to put right? 

2 minutes ago, Westward said:

I'd bet 10:1 it's walnut simply because it's the best wood for the job, not because it can be pretty. 

And I suspect you would win your bet.

While beech and other woods can and have been used, walnut has all the features required for making stocks & forends. Invariably if you buy a grade 1 or other entry level guns, you get the plain as a fence post stuff. Go to the top end grades you get the better figured timber. Go to the bespoke guns whether British or foreign and you can end up paying several grand for the wood alone, and thats before the stocker picks up a rasp or chisel.