Everest queue

islandgun

Yeah it's getting to the point where there needs to be a complete review of high altitude climbing. People are dying because money talks louder than safety. Sherpas are forced to take ill prepared and poorly skilled climbers to the top or else risk losing money they desperately need. Meanwhile companies make a packet out of people, but can't risk bad reviews so force people to the top whether they're able to or not - and flog their sherpas into making it happen. and throughout this time the mountains get littered with rubbish and bodies, hence the rather glib 'rainbow valley'. It needs to stop.

If I had my way, every mountain on the planet would be divided into levels. you could only qualify for the next level once you'd proved you had put the time in and had the experience on lower mountains, to stop people letting money endanger themselves and other people

Looks silly all them.people waiting to get their turn at the top.

Used to be something special conquering Everest, now looks like CatBells in the Lake District with all those people.

I say let them crack on why should a nanny state or organisation say if you can go risk your life or not. If seven died each day I'd still let them do it. Choice by the individual is key.

Edited by figgy

All the other six of the seven summits are tentatively on my bucket list but can honestly say I have no interest whatsoever in the Everest summit. Booked to do my first one in August and if it's a circus at the top it'll be my last. 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah it's getting to the point where there needs to be a complete review of high altitude climbing. People are dying because money talks louder than safety. Sherpas are forced to take ill prepared and poorly skilled climbers to the top or else risk losing money they desperately need. Meanwhile companies make a packet out of people, but can't risk bad reviews so force people to the top whether they're able to or not - and flog their sherpas into making it happen. and throughout this time the mountains get littered with rubbish and bodies, hence the rather glib 'rainbow valley'. It needs to stop.

If I had my way, every mountain on the planet would be divided into levels. you could only qualify for the next level once you'd proved you had put the time in and had the experience on lower mountains, to stop people letting money endanger themselves and other people

Spot on.

Went there in 79, I was so disgusted with the rubbish at base camp I vowed never to go back I hate to think what it is like now, we managed to get to the south coll but beat a hasty retreat when we saw the weather coming in and only just made it back 

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Apologise to those that saw this but i find the whole thing bizarre 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48395241

An interesting read, but shocking to boot, me and mrs mouce just said if you went up there you'd expect it to be special, enjoy the view and experience. I totally get why people want to go up there but given the mess and number of people all over the place I'm surprised folk still go. 

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Imagine going up twice in a week! Great idea Chris and i like what Ben Fogel said about a lottery system to be able to go up the mountain but money talks.

Just read Rolfe Oostra's account of the summit attempt by his party this past week and the death of his friend and expedition party member Kevin Hynes. Inspiring and sad in equal amounts. Respect to Rolfe and his team for sharing the post, most companies never publicly acknowledge their losses...

On Fri May 24 2019 at 17:55, figgy said:

Looks silly all them.people waiting to get their turn at the top.

Used to be something special conquering Everest, now looks like CatBells in the Lake District with all those people.

I say let them crack on why should a nanny state or organisation say if you can go risk your life or not. If seven died each day I'd still let them do it. Choice by the individual is key.

The view from cats bells in summer 

And there were definately less people up there then than there was up everest .

IMG_20190529_102417.jpg

IMG_20190529_102350.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The view from cats bells in summer 

And there were definately less people up there then than there was up everest .

IMG_20190529_102417.jpg

IMG_20190529_102350.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Personally I use time in the mountain to escape the madness of modern working life and all that goes with it, for the life of me I can't understand why people pay that sort of money to go queue there knowing that every moment stood queuing you are literally dying. For me there is so much more than reaching the summit, particularly when there are crowds.

Last year I took friends on the snowdon horseshoe (in reverse) and avoided crowds until the last bit on the way up to the summit, which was mobbed, thereafter lost count of the number of people and the circus. Next day my pal and I went off track in the same area and did not see another soul close enough to communicate with for the best part of seven hours - that for me is what it's all about.

I did Ben Nevis more than 30 years ago and was disgusted to find it like a motorway, even back then. My son and his girlfriend did Snowdon three weeks ago. Despite poor weather, it was heaving and they swore to never go back. Fact is there are dozens of other walks in Snowdonia where you rarely see a soul and you benefit from the peace and quiet that goes with that. Same applies to other Himalayan mountains and other ranges around the world. Queueing to get up a mountain? Stupid....

Just now, mel b3 said:

You can always do snowdon at night , not many folk about , the downside is that the cafe isn't open for those delicious sausage rolls 😢

I think I've been to the summit 4 times in the past 18 months, it's never open at the time of year I visit 😕

15 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think I've been to the summit 4 times in the past 18 months, it's never open at the time of year I visit 😕

You need to get up there when the cafe is open , their hot sausage rolls are fantastic. I could never eat more than six though 😆

I haven't been up there for about seven years,  I'm too fat to drag myself up there now, but I intend doing the three peaks again before I peg out. 

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I remember starting scaffel  Pyke at around 2 am one morning,  you could already see dozens of head torches bobbing their way up.

I remember waiting for first light and running it early morning as part of the three peaks. Touched the top and legged it back to watch one of the teams go down the wrong side adding four miles and lots of time.

I was all up for the welsh 3000s last year, maybe not in 24 hours but was gonna give it a go until I suffered up to 50% tears in my peroneal tendons which is still causing me grief, and threatening my Elbrus expedition in August. My foot might be better by then but I won't have the fitness 😞

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

I was all up for the welsh 3000s last year, maybe not in 24 hours but was gonna give it a go until I suffered up to 50% tears in my peroneal tendons which is still causing me grief, and threatening my Elbrus expedition in August. My foot might be better by then but I won't have the fitness 😞

Now that looks like one worth the effort. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

I remember waiting for first light and running it early morning as part of the three peaks. Touched the top and legged it back to watch one of the teams go down the wrong side adding four miles and lots of time.

I bet they gave the guy with the map some earache lol.