Advice please.

fatchap

I have been given a knife to make which is not a problem, its what he wants for a handle that has me scratching me head.

He has given me a sheet of Alligator skin which he wants on the handle. Obviously it going to be glued but what to do about the seam? Its a hidden tang knife so it will be wrapped round.

Would sewing the ends together be the best bet?  I was toying with the idea of a small brass T strip with a groove cut into the handle I would simply tuck the edges into the groove then push and glue the T strip in place, but I'm thinking that might look ****. 

My leather work is pretty poor compared to some of you chaps on here so any help would be much appreciated.  

I've looked at video's and most are people covering car handbrake levers in leather so was looking at going down that route. 

My other concern is I'm not sure that what he has given me is actually Alligator skin, its very soft, thin and smells like leather which is what I think it is, with a alligator skin pattern machined in. So not confident on gluing it either as its so thin, worried glue will soak through. It looks like its been cut from a sofa. Anyway it looks nothing like Alligator skin does in the pictures online.

I've yet to make the handle, I've forged the blade and ground and bevelled it. But have ground to a halt on the handle.

Any help and advice much appreciated.