Titanium Nitride

Sfwh

I am interested in getting some of the hard wearing parts of my guns coated in Titanium Nitride to strengthen them. This seems to be a fairly standard procedure in America but can't seem to find anyone who offers the service in the UK. Does anyone know of anywhere it can be done?

I'm not sure that this is a good idea; the wearing of parts where one surface is much harder than the other can go unexpectedly.  For example in clocks, it is common to have brass and steel running together - and yet it can be the steel that wears faster than the brass.  Also a hard part that doesn't 'bed in' with it's matching wearing surface can cause 'pick up' which is damage.

Generally parts and materials are chosen and designs using those parts are proven by testing.  Changing hardness may not give expected advantages.  I'm no expert, but I know just enough to know that this is not as simple as 'harder is better'.  Some components may well benefit, but I think you would need to know more about it (perhaps you already do) to know which parts to have treated.

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm not sure that this is a good idea; the wearing of parts where one surface is much harder than the other can go unexpectedly.  For example in clocks, it is common to have brass and steel running together - and yet it can be the steel that wears faster than the brass.  Also a hard part that doesn't 'bed in' with it's matching wearing surface can cause 'pick up' which is damage.

Generally parts and materials are chosen and designs using those parts are proven by testing.  Changing hardness may not give expected advantages.  I'm no expert, but I know just enough to know that this is not as simple as 'harder is better'.  Some components may well benefit, but I think you would need to know more about it (perhaps you already do) to know which parts to have treated.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

most guns are made to last any parts that wear are designed to it saves wear on the more expensive parts and builds in a safety element 

Titanium nitride has been used in the firearms business for many years including in many high-level competition guns that fire thousands of rounds very quickly. These shooters have reported less wear on the guns or they wouldn't keep doing. In America, there are whole businesses that offer it as a service so I don't think it has any detrimental effects. It's a shame that no one in the UK seems to offer it as a service.