General licences: the blame game

The video clip is selective so we are unaware of the full extent of questioning. But from the point of view from someone who has sat in front of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) the witnesses got off very lightly indeed.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

The video clip is selective so we are unaware of the full extent of questioning. But from the point of view from someone who has sat in front of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) the witnesses got off very lightly indeed.

The full interview was posted on here

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

If you watched the video above to the end Charlie jacoby was referring to this video it was posted on here this last week, but linked here

The full vid

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/3610d6cf-6d1e-45ed-ab7f-3b6c0f9a5c43   

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

It looks like the new GL instead of coming into force in a few days time is now  going to be some weeks  which most likely will be months .

Feltwad

Thats how i imagine it will turn out, but you never know. It could not have come at a worse time of year.  I am probably mistaken   but i swear i am seeing more corvids  than ever before but could be i am just  be imagined in view of this fiasco.

Edited by lancer425

12 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

The impression I'm getting purely based on observation around my place and locally is that there are more corvids around, or at least those I am seeing appear less timid.

That is it exactly the same how i see it and  i remember when curlew went off the list how quick they wised up.

I have been out shooting pigeons under the new licence since it was issued and am satisfied that I am compliant with the requirements of the new licence, but in the last week or two I have twice been stopped and asked why I am shooting pigeons when the licence has been revoked, I have taken to carrying a printed copy of the new licence in my bag to make it easier to explain the new requirements, Both of the challenges came from 'part time ' pigeon shooters who seemed completely unaware of the situation as was a police officer in his patrol car who stopped me for a chat as I arrived at one of my permissions,unaware of the developments over the last 3 weeks, The press has been severely lacking in correct and detailed information and on line information although easily accessible to me is obviously not reaching everyone , particularly those with little or no computer knowledge or access. All this has added to this feeling of total confusion and frustration over what we can and cannot do legally to control pest species, I watched the enquiry video from start to finish and am now of the opinion that this confusion will not be clarified any time soon, A very interesting video and thank you for the link , but this will drag on for some time to come. So at least for the time being, the rooks magpies jays and jackdaws will have it all their own way and there is not a thing we can do about it. Still at least I am keeping some of the pigeons out of the pea fields which is much appreciated by those who expect me to do just that. 

Edited by lakeside1000

Interesting, we haven't been stopped YET!

I will put a copy oF GL31 in the car just in case.

Further to your critiscism of the "press" - all of the ingformation is out there and available, if people can't bother to look for it that is THERE PROBLEM!

This is the time of the year has every country man knows when  birds such has rook and jackdaws   double in numbers  in most areas , jackdaws over the last decade has increased the  most . Rooks and jackdaws are the most  destructive of all they contaminate the feeding and water supply to  organic and intensive  farms which becomes a health and spread of disease problem .The sooner the GL is available the better or we may see  a live stock disease problem ,I do not want to witness another epidemic  and the smell of burning carcases .

Feltwad 

1 minute ago, Feltwad said:

The sooner the GL is available the better or we may see  a live stock disease problem ,I do not want to witness another epidemic  and the smell of burning carcases .

Feltwad 

This is a valid point and glad you raised it , and it is not one i had noticed mentioned or one i had considered myself.

I Know we all know what started this, and some will most probably have read this but from  Launch to Leigh & Day dated 25th of april . I apologise if you have seen it all but its here in one heap for those looking for some background. Or if you are feeling inordinately up beat today and want to feel miserable "READ ON MCDUFF ! " :lol:

WJ are up and running.

https://www.birdguides.com/news/conservationists-launch-wild-justice/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/chris-packham-launches-wild-justice-for-legal-fight-to-protect-wildlife-904086.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/15/wildlife-campaigners-chris-packham-legal-action-pest-bird-killings-natural-england

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/2019/March-2019/First-legal-case-for-Wild-Justice-challenges-Natur

https://www.chrispackham.co.uk/news/wild-justice

This is not about Justice this is about eradicating Hunting. Intresting video.

Edited by lancer425

12 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

I have been out shooting pigeons under the new licence since it was issued and am satisfied that I am compliant with the requirements of the new licence, but in the last week or two I have twice been stopped and asked why I am shooting pigeons when the licence has been revoked, I have taken to carrying a printed copy of the new licence in my bag to make it easier to explain the new requirements, Both of the challenges came from 'part time ' pigeon shooters who seemed completely unaware of the situation as was a police officer in his patrol car who stopped me for a chat as I arrived at one of my permissions,unaware of the developments over the last 3 weeks, The press has been severely lacking in correct and detailed information and on line information although easily accessible to me is obviously not reaching everyone , particularly those with little or no computer knowledge or access. All this has added to this feeling of total confusion and frustration over what we can and cannot do legally to control pest species, I watched the enquiry video from start to finish and am now of the opinion that this confusion will not be clarified any time soon, A very interesting video and thank you for the link , but this will drag on for some time to come. So at least for the time being, the rooks magpies jays and jackdaws will have it all their own way and there is not a thing we can do about it. Still at least I am keeping some of the pigeons out of the pea fields which is much appreciated by those who expect me to do just that. 

:good:

This might just turn out to be the wannabes feeling their oats and in so doing annoying people. With a bit of luck, one of the big boys will put down his cognac and cigar, clamber up out of his armchair and give them a slap. 

Not much info from the shooting organisation  of late on the  GL , have they gone off the boil maybe the NE  two individual licences  have kept most of  the membership at bay .The longer we wait for  the GL  the worse it is getting which may consist of it not been issued at all 

Feltwad

32 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Not much info from the shooting organisation  of late on the  GL , have they gone off the boil maybe the NE  two individual licences  have kept most of  the membership at bay .The longer we wait for  the GL  the worse it is getting which may consist of it not been issued at all 

Feltwad

It is a waiting game at the moment nobody can do anything but wait for the Government to draw its conclusions. BASC are pushing for answers and here is the gist of the correspondence from the BASC site linked at the bottom of this post.   The Last communication  from the Government on Friday evening sugested we would be hearing from them   "SHORTLY".  Attached below.

“While we accept that Defra has a vast amount of information to sift through following its recent call to evidence, the fact so many people responded to that demand for evidence should give a clear signal to Defra that people are desperate and need a workable solution in days not weeks.”

In an email to BASC this evening, Defra said: “We are developing proposals based on the 4,000 responses we received to our call for evidence and will set out our next steps shortly.”

https://basc.org.uk/blog/general-licences/basc-responds-to-delay-over-defra-general-licence-announcement/

This last week has seen a large increase of rooks and jackdaws on three free range organic farm  hoppers and water troughs  for which they are contaminate the feed. This is now becoming a major risk to health and safety and more so disease and all I can do is  walk them off and they are back within a half a hour it is just the same with a banger . The sooner the GL is issued the better but what was to be a few days  is now weeks and is now  looking has  not at all 

Feltwad