General licences: the blame game

2 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Has everybody visited their MP to make them aware of the chaos yet?

I also have been in touch on email.

This sums up the main gist but contact is ongoing

"Thank you for getting in touch regarding the recent revocation of the General Licences. Thank you also for bearing with me whilst I was able to respond properly.

You are probably already aware that the Government accepts there is an issue and has taken the licencing process out of the hands of Natural England and brought it back in-house.  DEFRA has issued a call for evidence in order to be able to tweak the regime and allow licences to be re-issued.  The consultation process closes today (Monday the 13th of May), so if you haven’t already, I would recommend emailing your comments to glevidence@defra.gov.uk.

As well as yourself, a number of constituents have been in touch so I have been looking at this down in Westminster. I have attended a meeting with BASC and the Secretary of State and will continue to involve myself in developments."

5 hours ago, Northerner said:

I have booked a meeting with my local MP (Geoffory Cox) for next saturday. It took less than 5min to do, so quick god knows what i will say as i have never done anything like this before 😂😂

Fair play to you for doing this, and it will be interesting to find out what you get from it. 

if it`s at all possible it`s well worth actually asking your MP to answer a specific question, one they`ll need to go away and make some enquiries about and then get back to you with the answer.

A simple rant just earns nods of approval whilst they try to look interested and entering into a debate with an MP who doesn`t share your views, or is not open to persuasion, is like talking to a brick wall.

If you know fellow shooters who are also constituents arrange for three or four of you to go along on consecutive appointments, armed with different requests for action.

I wrote to my MP on the 10/05/19 using the format from mick miller (below)

I have today received a letter, does not say a lot but at lest he has passed it on, I will post any response on PW.

Dear Mr xxxx

I have a number of friends who are farmers, at certain times of the years I do some pest control for them when they have problems with pigeon and crows, as you may be aware I am no longer able to offer my services due to the GL being revoked by NE, I do wonder at the other processes around the review of the chaos caused by Natural England and the GL revocation, let me expand on that statement a little.

A one-off evidence session allowing MPs to question Defra and Natural England on the general licence chaos which will hopefully “paint a clearer picture” of how the decision was reached and provide clarity on the way forward is scheduled for the 21st of May.

At this meeting there will be Defra Ministers and the interim chief executive of Natural England, Marian Spain. There will be, however, no other parties or individuals that represent either farming or shooting bodies.

The session, chaired by EFRA Committee chairman Neil Parish also includes the following MPs.

Alan Brown Scottish National Party

Angela Smith Change UK – The Independent Group

David Simpson Democratic Unionist Party             
John Grogan Labour

Kerry McCarthy Labour

Sandy Martin Labour
Dr Caroline Johnson       Conservative
Mrs Sheryll Murray Conservative       
Julian Sturdy Conservative

Firstly, I wonder at the inclusion of two ministers whose devolved Parliaments suggest that they should not really be present when matters affecting English legislation is under review (Alan Brown and David Simpson). Secondly, I am not sure why Angela Smith is included either (Change UK, a party only formed in the last few months?). Finally and most worryingly, the inclusion of Kerry McCarthy. Her presence at this review is deeply troubling and reeks of bias. When you review Kerry’s background you will discover that she is a vegan (nothing wrong with that, we all make our own choices in life) and an animal rights supporter - in which world is that to be considered a ’neutral’ position?

Two of her most recent questions in Parliament were:

Asked on: 07 May 2019
Q: Asked by Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East)
'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Commons

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many pheasant (a) eggs for hatching and (b) live birds were imported into England from each (a) EU and (b) third country in the last 12 months for which figures are available.

Asked on: 07 May 2019

Q: Asked by Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East)
'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many partridge (a) eggs for hatching and (b) live birds were imported into England from each (a) EU country and (b) third country in the last 12 months for which figures are available.

Clearly, unequivocally, a case of bias against the shooting and hunting industries in this country by this particular MP - why is she there? How is she to remain impartial?

I ask again, how can the electorate so affected by this utter omnishambles, have any faith in a ‘review’ by EFRA when the MPs taking part exhibit clear bias and/or a disassociation from matters affecting England?

I look forward to your reply and thoughts on the above issue.

Yours sincerely,

reply letter from my MP

letter mp.jpg