Oily rag

Big Al

Up until this week, I've had a brilliant oily rage for rubbing down my guns. My father started using it in the 1970s. It was a ripped up piece of his old pyjamas. I inherited it in the 1980s and have used it everytime I've cleaned a gun since then. It was soaked in oil and a rub with it put a lovely sheen on  the barrels.

Well, my wife was having a  clear out this week,  and chucked it. Gone forever. I only realised as I was cleaning a gun after a few clays yesterday. 

I feel like I've lost a family member!

Is there a quick fix alternative , or will I have to start from scratch again?

I reckon the pyjamas were 100% cotton. Any preferred fabrics ? 

1 hour ago, JDog said:

After you have disposed of your wife rip up your best pyjamas and all will be well.

I have shirts with tatty collars and jackets covered in unmentionables which my wife has been trying to throw out for years.

not to mention those loverly "Y" fronts you tried to auction off a few years ago...........i bet you are glad you hung onto them.....put them into a jam jar with some suitible oil and leave them to mature......will produce shiny barrels with a heady aroma....

One question how did your wife get her hands on your rag in the first place?  Mine is locked away in my cabinet.  I have been using a old yellow duster for over a decade. 

Get your new chosen cloth spray it with gun oil add a bit of grease and transmission fluid I add some engine oil and roll it around in your hands to get it all worked in. Mine has all manner of gun cleaning and lubing products on it. Some will have evaporated away over the years.

Won't take long to get it as good as your old one. 

Cheers guys.

I was just having a frustrated moan. It had fallen out of the cupboard I keep my gun cleaning / maintenance stuff in.

Lesson learned. 

Great looking punt OF!

Not sure about ditchmans y fronts though .....

Edited by Big Al

I love a nice oily rag . Something that women just don’t understand . I have a number secreted in my truck .All have a specific task .mrs harnser never see these as she never goes in my truck . Woe be tide her if she ever threw one out .

harnser 

Edited by Harnser

I bought a gun from someones son. His old dad an avid shooter had passed away. Among the various bits and bobs I bought was an ancient oily rag, looks like it had been used forever. Its a lovely bit of kit and I intend to use it till I go.

Women are not built to appreciate how important an old oily rag is to a guy. 

22 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I bought a gun from someones son. His old dad an avid shooter had passed away. Among the various bits and bobs I bought was an ancient oily rag, looks like it had been used forever. Its a lovely bit of kit and I intend to use it till I go.

Women are not built to appreciate how important an old oily rag is to a guy. 

women only get suspicious  when they see the odd crispy sock laying about...........

9 minutes ago, Croohur said:

I use pieces of an old stripey flannel sheet that were prevalent in the 70's and 80's, they soak up the oil enough that you do it once and you are good for a year of use.

Ohhhh engine oil. Ooooops 🙂 

3 hours ago, Harnser said:

I love a nice oily rag . Something that women just don’t understand . I have a number secreted in my truck .All have a specific task .mrs harnser never see these as she never goes in my truck . Woe be tide her if she ever threw one out .

harnser 

hence the saying.........."wos goin' orn "......"wot yew lorst yer rag boi "

Thought I would post a photo of my old drags while there's interest.

The one on the left is from around the early 80s doused in a mixture of WD40, Browning gun cleaner and Napier cleaner and rust inhibitor. 

The other is a silicon gun wipe also from the 80s probably late 80s. 

Enjoy. 

20190525_194302-800x450.jpg

This thread brings to mind, Last of the summer wine, old Wesley in his dirty overalls and a old series landy. We have Ditchman. 

Old men tinkering in sheds and old oily rags.

My rag smells like old museums, that sell that museums have.

Big Al,

ive been thinking, would you like 1/2 of my old wrag (the one on the left) it's not your dad's I know but i bet it smells pretty close to it. 

Or you could always use a pair of your wife's best cotton pants, start soaking them in oil, after all it was her that chucked your heirloom.