The dawn chorus.

old man

It's interesting to note the changes from previously, for years a range of small birds up to thrush size if lucky.

Now just a cacophony of corvids. Magpies, Jackdaws, Crows and Rooks just like the film. Aided and abetted by 2 neighbours who shovel out copious coarse foods presumably morning and night. Hey-ho how it changes?

Not the same in our neck f the woods. We loads of small birds making a din in the morning. Robins, greenfinches, goldfinches,wagtails,blackbirds,greenpecker to name a few. I always open the window to let the sound into the room

I was trying to work out if birds sound different in different areas? I was stood watching bats and listening to the evening chorus, last week and i couldn't figure out what I was listening to? Thought it was a song thrush but there were some strange notes and squeaks.

Have to say we get a great morning and evening chorus at home and at my digs.

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

havnt seen a magpie in my garden for 2 years..............they have got BSA desease........

Plenty of magpies in these parts but the squirrels have Rapiditus 😁 

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I was trying to work out if birds sound different in different areas? I was stood watching bats and listening to the evening chorus, last week and i couldn't figure out what I was listening to? Thought it was a song thrush but there were some strange notes and squeaks.

Have to say we get a great morning and evening chorus at home and at my digs.

Plenty of magpies in these parts but the squirrels have Rapiditus 😁 

not HMR poisoning ?

certainly lead going fast.

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

not HMR poisoning ?

First time I've seen two different bat species as well last week, i normally just see "bats" not a clue which kind, but last week the size difference made it obvious one was a pipistrelle, so small

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

havnt seen a magpie in my garden for 2 years..............they have got BSA desease........

The ones round me have died of lead poisoning, the few left have learned as soon as they see me to throw themselves out of trees or off roofs in a bid to live. They're winning on about twenty escapes before I get another one. 

37 minutes ago, figgy said:

The ones round me have died of lead poisoning, the few left have learned as soon as they see me to throw themselves out of trees or off roofs in a bid to live. They're winning on about twenty escapes before I get another one. 

about 6 years ago i was pigeon shooting with a mate up near happisburgh on the norfolk coast...and as we were walking back we stopped near a carr with lots of willow in it as well...and in the space of 30 mins about 80-90 magpies came in.......what a bloody nioise they made...once there........couldnt get near enough to shoot them..

4 hours ago, figgy said:

The dusk chorus where I live is mainly blackbirds and some sparrows with a few tits.

The dawn chorus usually starts with same as dusk then moves onto the that awful Magpie rattle.

Yes we have a dawn chorus here too, but twice in the last week I have been woken up by the raucous rattle of magpies and caws of Crows squabbling!....after the blackbirds and other songbird nests I'll be bound! Thanks Avery and Packham for your well timed intervention! 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

about 6 years ago i was pigeon shooting with a mate up near happisburgh on the norfolk coast...and as we were walking back we stopped near a carr with lots of willow in it as well...and in the space of 30 mins about 80-90 magpies came in.......what a bloody nioise they made...once there........couldnt get near enough to shoot them..

That is such a shame, usually you kill one and lots turn up to the wake. You can keep shooting them for a while untill they get wise. It's what I done and the survivors are wise to me. Wife can hang out washing and they watch her,she shouts me and as soon as they see my face they go crazy calling and getting away. I need to get them one dawn from a hide or position they never see me in.

Edited by figgy

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

That is such a shame, usually you kill one and lots turn up to the wake. You can keep shooting them for a while untill they get wise. It's what I done and the survivors are wise to me. Wife can hang out washing and they watch her,she shouts me and as soon as they see my face they go crazy calling and getting away. I need to get them one dawn from a hide or position they never see me in.

i used to shoot at Henham park and run the dogs there twice/week..............it is now Latitude festival.........when we shot there it was FULL of wildlife song birds the lot....then Brian May bought the shooting rights and did nothing for 2 years....i still had all the keys to the gates and went for a ride round one late spring........it was a wildlife wasteland....

Until the GL revocation few magpies or pigeons ventured into my garden and most did not leave.

Now the little ******s seem to be fully up with the law and just strut around chanting "Nah nah nah nah nah".

We did spot a goldcrest the other day, though. the first I have ever seen outside the Observers book of birds

49 minutes ago, amateur said:

Until the GL revocation few magpies or pigeons ventured into my garden and most did not leave.

Now the little ******s seem to be fully up with the law and just strut around chanting "Nah nah nah nah nah".

We did spot a goldcrest the other day, though. the first I have ever seen outside the Observers book of birds

Believe it or not , I like to see pigeons in our garden , the other afternoon me and my wife were watching a old one feeding a young un on the fence and it was nice to watch , I am not saying I would like to see loads but I can tolerate 3 or 4 and after all , it's all part of the sounds of Summer listening to them cooing in the early hours of the morning .

To be fair the corvid situation been getting worse for a few years, Winter times regular mixed flocks of up to 250, 300 maybe, the magpies roost on the aerials here,  best count from 1 spot 29.

Had the firearm lads round about a couple of years ago looking for someone popping pigeons off  chimneys. 

1 hour ago, amateur said:

I thought it was a wren that frequents our garden last week but it was a Gold or Fire Crest could just make out the green and a stripe as it took flight but couldn't tell if it was gold or orange stripe with the sunlight. Very nice to see again.

Just over two years ago I started to cull magpies on a farm I do the vermin control and deer. It was not unusual to see over 150 fly off the slurry pits...no kidding.  I am now on just over 300 and today I went to change the trail cams around and saw two pairs.  A bit more balanced I think.

Where I work its surrounded by houses with big gardens

There are regular wood pigeons, doves, black birds, magpies 

the odd crow and other birds that I don't know .

Including one with a red chest that's been about for a while 

that goes cheep cheep cheep on and off all day.

Some of the woodies and doves come quite close.

25 minutes ago, figgy said:

I thought it was a wren that frequents our garden last week but it was a Gold or Fire Crest could just make out the green and a stripe as it took flight but couldn't tell if it was gold or orange stripe with the sunlight. Very nice to see again.

concentrate low down in the hedge ...or in a conifer tree....they are sooo small ..i see them regular here...always low down where the wrens are usually

We have plenty of conifers round here and this one unusually was sat right in the top of a Hawthorne ten feet from a magpie nest. Luckily the Maggie's never laid eggs. It was there a few seconds and gone.

Will keep an eye looking for them.