Having to irrigate every thing

13 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Do to the lack of rain and the farms as arid as a dessert my farmer friend is having to irrigate the spuds ,sugar beet and believe it or not wheat and barley . Really worried about losing some of his cereal crops . 

Harnser

y .

hello, where does he take his water from ? the East coast has not had the rain like Ireland/ Midlands North UK and Scotland, saying that we have had very little here in the Vale, still on the cards is a new Reservoir the size of Heathrow Airport, and yet they are building 1000s of new homes up and down our country with no thought as to where the water supply will come from, in my life time i have seen 1 river disappear and a beautiful chalk river reduced to  stream, i hope the farmer can save his crops Harnser,  ps, our trout lakes get a hammering in summer as siphoned off for irrigation 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, how feasible to channel water down from parts UK that have plenty via rivers/stream/ etc rather than go out to sea or maybe it would upset the ecology of the natural habitat, 

it would probably spoil the ecology. There was a mad plan a while ago to pipe water from Keilder in Northumberland which is acidic peat water to Yorshire dales which is alkali limestone water. Plan was abandoned due to the environmental damage it would have caused. 

On the other hand taking water from river just to irrigate crops also causes huge ecological damage 

1 minute ago, grahamch said:

it would probably spoil the ecology. There was a mad plan a while ago to pipe water from Keilder in Northumberland which is acidic peat water to Yorshire dales which is alkali limestone water. Plan was abandoned due to the environmental damage it would have caused. 

On the other hand taking water from river just to irrigate crops also causes huge ecological damage 

hello, yes i thought as much, it very much spoils the trout lakes we rent of the farm, what we pay is nothing compared to the crops and money made with the pick your own, our few 1000s compared to £100,000 per week, it it far more than a PYO every weekend there is a 1000 plus cars each day,  

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, where does he take his water from ? the East coast has not had the rain like Ireland/ Midlands North UK and Scotland, saying that we have had very little here in the Vale, still on the cards is a new Reservoir the size of Heathrow Airport, and yet they are building 1000s of new homes up and down our country with no thought as to where the water supply will come from, in my life time i have seen 1 river disappear and a beautiful chalk river reduced to  stream, i hope the farmer can save his crops Harnser,  ps, our trout lakes get a hammering in summer as siphoned off for irrigation 

Norfolk is a very dry county due to most of our weather coming from the west coast, it just doesn’t reach us and blows it self out . He had a huge reservoir built a few years back that he fills during the winter months from natural springs on the farm .  

Harnser

31 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Norfolk is a very dry county due to most of our weather coming from the west coast, it just doesn’t reach us and blows it self out . He had a huge reservoir built a few years back that he fills during the winter months from natural springs on the farm .  

Harnser

hello, that sound good but it is still a lot of work irrigating the fields, hope all goes well. cheers 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, how feasible to channel water down from parts UK that have plenty via rivers/stream/ etc rather than go out to sea or maybe it would upset the ecology of the natural habitat, 

The rivers Tyne , Wear and Tees are tunnelled  together . This was done when British Steel was a busy place at Teeside.. when it first started , Tyne salmon were trying to come up the river Tees . Amazing how the could sense  the tyne water in the tees .

4 hours ago, johnphilip said:

The rivers Tyne , Wear and Tees are tunnelled  together . This was done when British Steel was a busy place at Teeside.. when it first started , Tyne salmon were trying to come up the river Tees . Amazing how the could sense  the tyne water in the tees .

hello, that is interesting john, the wonders of nature

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

There was some talk a few years ago about using the canal system to transfer water around the country as they are linked in some way. This was to incorporate sluices in the locks to manage the flow which were centrally controlled and worked on gravity and water pressure.Or was it another PIPE DREAM!!!

52 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

There was some talk a few years ago about using the canal system to transfer water around the country as they are linked in some way. This was to incorporate sluices in the locks to manage the flow which were centrally controlled and worked on gravity and water pressure.Or was it another PIPE DREAM!!!

hello, i think read something about that myself PC, although the canals represent only a small percentage of waterways in UK,  but nothing is impossible given the choices we will be getting in the UKs long term future for water supply, 

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

They do it in California and have done for many years. Lots of water up north and they ship it south in a canal, the Californian Aqueduct.  It helps irrigate the vat areas of oranges and other citrus fruits in the valleys.  Certainly a better way to spend OUR money than some Lah de Dah high speed rail network.

Edited by Walker570

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

They do it in California and have done for many years. Lots of water up north and they ship it south in a canal, the Californian Aqueduct.  It helps irrigate the vat areas of oranges and other citrus fruits in the valleys.  Certainly a better way to spend OUR money than some Lah de Dah high speed rail network.

Totally agree.

On 25/05/2019 at 14:16, oldypigeonpopper said:

This was being trialled years ago. The water company had a very deep bore hole which always produced, the water was pumped into an adjacent steam through a series of lakes to end up somewhere else.

Water will probably be the limiting factor?

19 minutes ago, old man said:

This was being trialled years ago. The water company had a very deep bore hole which always produced, the water was pumped into an adjacent steam through a series of lakes to end up somewhere else.

Water will probably be the limiting factor?

hello, i heard there was a scheme in London where excess rain water was pumped in to deep wells, to be taken out if required, not sure if that was done

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i heard there was a scheme in London where excess rain water was pumped in to deep wells, to be taken out if required, not sure if that was done

This was Birmingham.

Underground water levels boosted as local brewers went out of business?

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:16, oldypigeonpopper said:

Lots of rivers my way but the Thames is the main one.  I don't know exactly how it works but removal of water from the river is tightly controlled, farmers etc have to apply for permission.

Just the same I often see them with a big hose in the river and wonder!?  :hmm: