Guess who lives here.

Clodhopper

Whilst on my walk along a local drain I spotted this little beauty.

Not so long ago an enlightened individual at the agency had the bank re profiled to allow areas to flood and others to remain permanently dry. There are myriad flowers and shrubs resulting in many insect, it is perfect.

The second picture shows that another department has absolutely no concept of conservation and will no doubt destroy this habitat over the coming days. Perhaps an apt name may be Destruction of the Environment Agency.28chsav.jpg28chsav.jpg

Over the years of ground vermin control both Lapwings and Skylark have increased in population to a quite noticeable amount that they get an awful lot of comments from walkers. 

Theres a perm i go on near me and the headlands have been extended by a further meter. Ive heard of a farm being find 80k for being too short. 

That directorate make good interesting reading! If only more folk would read and abide by it or care. While Packham and co have a go at us because it's part of there bigger agenda there's far to much habitat and nest destruction go on in/unintentionally by various bodies orgs and individuals!  Dioceses having tree work done recently in two churchyards near me. Disturbing breeding red list birds, distroying nests and bat roosts. When i  spoke to church folk they didn't seem to know or botherd! 

21 hours ago, Big Mat said:

McConnel Swingtrim, although i've never seen/used one 

Would think it has less uses around the farm than the big flail mowers matt , and farmers are not ones to fork out for 2 implements when one will serfice.

I am not sure of the reason to cut this at all during the peak nesting period. I understand that they have a large area to be done but to leave even a 4 week window for example would be of huge benefit. The very act of cutting it totally destroys all of the good work they have previously done ( at great expense I might add) increasing this environment. 

As a side note there were hundreds of corvids along the cut area, presumably eating tofu or cut grass or something.

We do this on the rivers I work on, we call it a health and safety cut,so walkers can identify the bank edge! The first cut has to be done by  April 15 th I think, then we can cut the top and one down the bank after that. The main cut starts after July 7 th hope this helps.

1 hour ago, muncher said:

We do this on the rivers I work on, we call it a health and safety cut,so walkers can identify the bank edge! The first cut has to be done by  April 15 th I think, then we can cut the top and one down the bank after that. The main cut starts after July 7 th hope this helps.

Is this for Public walkers or EA employees as the opposite bank has a Footpath, this was mown some weeks ago. The bank photographed has no public access.

10 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Is this for Public walkers or EA employees as the opposite bank has a Footpath, this was mown some weeks ago. The bank photographed has no public access.

I work for an independent water company, but its for everyone.