Blackbriar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

15592257708132129062330.jpg.88a2eda5973cf22a5e0c77272fb8bfbf.jpg

Success ! Thank you, gentlemen.

I don't think the seal is salvageable, though............and the end of the position has seen better days.

hello, well done, i do not think there is much you can do to the piston end, the red disc should keep the piston aligned, john knibbs got a new seal £9.50 plus post, they do up graded seals but for cost replace the leather one, most oldy air rifles i had used leather for piston seal, cheers  

if there is no joy with a screwdriver after warming it up, I would drill the head of the screw off ( cross head screws are easy as the drill bit self-centres) then slide the washer/piston head off leaving the screw threads to be held in a vice, you can then unscrew the piston body from the screw. in theory anyway....

don't know why my pc didn't load your post and pics of your success, please ignore my advice!!

41 minutes ago, stu64 said:

if there is no joy with a screwdriver after warming it up, I would drill the head of the screw off ( cross head screws are easy as the drill bit self-centres) then slide the washer/piston head off leaving the screw threads to be held in a vice, you can then unscrew the piston body from the screw. in theory anyway....

don't know why my pc didn't load your post and pics of your success, please ignore my advice!!

I certainly won't ignore any advice - any not immediately used is stored away for future use !

And thank you all for your help so far...........

7 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

my brother had one of those, we gave it a bit of a tune up, the seal will work as long as you have no splits just give it a clean taking the old oil out an let dry then have a good look at it.

I'm going to have to  replace it, mate. The hot water I needed to free the holding screw has cream crackered it..........

On the upside, a nice new seal should improve performance ?

Anything will improve performance, ive had 3 and not one did I think 'refined'. I'm going to buy another now for a laugh and have a go myself 😅

If I remember right, when I was 14, the leather was so ****ed I cut one out a belt out of dad's wardrobe which improved it no end. Says it all. He wasn't happy. 

Or was it a meteor. Anyway, kinda worked. 

Do you know anyone with a lathe? If so ask them to skim the face of the piston, makes you wonder how it got so damaged with the leather and red washer protecting the face.

Second option is the bench grinder but you will need a little bit of skill to do it that way.

8 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

I'm going to have to  replace it, mate. The hot water I needed to free the holding screw has cream crackered it..........

On the upside, a nice new seal should improve performance ?

Yes a new seal is always good! (try a modern style rather than leather if poss) I think we reworked the piston giving it a polish and slimming the riding band at the front to about 4mm width then 3 points of weld at the rear then filed to a good fit so the piston just rides on the washer and band at the front and the 3 weld points at the rear, drilled the transfer port to 3.5 mm and fitted a gamo paratrooper spring, also made up some tubes to keep the trigger more central in its housing, it then became a fairly good rifle!

Edited by Chaz25

3 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

Yes a new seal is always good! (try a modern style rather than leather if poss) I think we reworked the piston giving it a polish and slimming the riding band at the front to about 4mm width then 3 points of weld at the rear then filed to a good fit so the piston just rides on the washer and band at the front and the 3 weld points at the rear, drilled the transfer port to 3.5 mm and fitted a gamo paratrooper spring, also made up some tubes to keep the trigger more central in its housing, it then became a fairly good rifle!

You did what with what, now ?

I'm gonna need a bigger hammer ! 😀

Going to need to pop that piston in a Lathe and check the head is still cylindrical at the washer end - TIR clock will soon show any need to skim it. Make sure you soak any new leather washers in Neatsfoot oil overnight - beg, steal or borrow a cap full from someone as it would take several lifetimes to use a whole bottle of the stuff. I would replace the countersunk screw with a allen headed version - less than a squid on the bay.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, and you thought i would just give my B2 a quick make over Blackbrier !!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I know ! Quick wipe down, lick of paint, drop of oil, jobs a good 'un..............

This is all getting terribly complicated.

(But I do have a friend who might be able to level the piston end up, and the Allen screw is an excellent idea !)

You can do it Blackbriar n yes Ultrastu the pistol grips are filler .Mine has a HW97 mainspring and a new seal and the chamber and piston are polished .The small woolly rollers for painting are a perfect size for the B2 chamber .The gloss brown paint was hell on earth to remove but 4 coats of true oil gives a lovely finish to the who knows what wood stock have fun atb

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by clakk

If you can achieve this it will run very nice, you can smooth the piston and remove the welding on the edge if you use a brass washer instead of the fiber one, supporting the seal and giving the piston some thing good to ride on, the buttons at the rear would be good but not a must

47980048383_59e0be6808_z.jpg

14 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

If you can achieve this it will run very nice, you can smooth the piston and remove the welding on the edge if you use a brass washer instead of the fiber one, supporting the seal and giving the piston some thing good to ride on, the buttons at the rear would be good but not a must

47980048383_59e0be6808_z.jpg

Gotcha ! A picture says a thousand words ! Thanks for that !

FYI.............I haven't given up.I've been busy with other things, and I'm waiting on the new piston seal from Knibbs.

I have the stock undercoated, but my wandering took me to a thread which had tips for bleaching wood - think I'll re-strip and give it a go. 

42 minutes ago, wraivi said:

Try a leather craft supplier or a horse saddlery place for neatsfoot....

Alternatively, Danish oil gives a decent finish.

Neatsfoot was recommended to soak the new leather piston seal, not for the stock. Sorry for being unclear.

59 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Neatsfoot was recommended to soak the new leather piston seal, not for the stock. Sorry for being unclear.

hello, see what the seal is like before you worry on neatsfoot, that was ok for the tap washer size leather ones we use to make  or refurbish old ones, i sometimes used melted dubbin, just needs to soften enough so it slides in the tube and takes up the full diameter, all looking good so far:good:

I would consider using gun oil for the seal as spring guns gain some of there power from burning the oil and grease that you use to lubricate the piston and spring with so good to go with what your going to use in general in the gun.

Edited by Chaz25