Browning model ID?

mgsontour

You can usually date  the gun by its serial number. I say usually because there are exceptions to the rule.

You havent given much info. Saying its a Browning is a bit like saying its a Ford. Is it an semi-auto, an O/U or a side by side ?

A photo will help as it could be made in Belgium or more likely in Japan or it could be a bit of both like the B125. If you have a look at the Avalon Guns website they have a dating tool on there for Beretta & Browning.

https://www.avalon-guns.com/

Edited by JJsDad

Thanks guys and appreciate what your all saying, where I'm coming from is, you go to buy a gun and the model that has been upgraded by Browning say for this conversation 2005 and you have the date from the last 2 letters which shows also 2005 is there a way of knowing if it is in fact the older model that has been sitting in stock somewhere or newer upgraded one? The  reason why I've posed the question is there can be a huge price difference. Thanks again for your help

Thank you all, may I assume that dates begin on 1st January, therefore do all the model changes only happen on the 1st January? I'm sorry that I don't understand fully but there can be a big difference and am only asking because if you go onto guntrader today a search browning shotgun there are currently 6 different models of the 525 for sale, these may all look obviously different to a gun dealer but to a layman slight differences may not stand out, so do we have to take the word of the vendor?

Explained above the age of the gun can be attained but I still haven't found out how to tell the variations of model 525?

If you look up a car registration it tells you the make/model/age, if you look up the serial number of a Rolex you can find the model/age, surely there is a way?

Buy a gun that suits you, fits you, has wood that you like, is in a condition that you find good - and for a price you are happy with.

Browning make decent guns, and whether it has (or has not) the latest bell, whistle, gizmo will either be obvious - or won't matter.  If you are going to shoot a gun and hope to get good results, fit and suiting you is the key.  There is no point in paying more for a 'later model' if it doesn't suit you etc.  Similarly, if it fits you and you shoot well with it, why does it matter that it is an older model?

Bottom line is the vast majority of changes are small and are designed to make people buy more guns ......... which may have no real connection at all with being 'better' or 'more valuable'. 

There are many who would say that the older guns (Berreta and Browning) were better made than the more recent ones and are better value for money because of that.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Buy a gun that suits you, fits you, has wood that you like, is in a condition that you find good - and for a price you are happy with.

Browning make decent guns, and whether it has (or has not) the latest bell, whistle, gizmo will either be obvious - or won't matter.  If you are going to shoot a gun and hope to get good results, fit and suiting you is the key.  There is no point in paying more for a 'later model' if it doesn't suit you etc.  Similarly, if it fits you and you shoot well with it, why does it matter that it is an older model?

Bottom line is the vast majority of changes are small and are designed to make people buy more guns ......... which may have no real connection at all with being 'better' or 'more valuable'. 

There are many who would say that the older guns (Berreta and Browning) were better made than the more recent ones and are better value for money because of that.

Appreciated; thank you

On 26/05/2019 at 13:53, mgsontour said:

may I assume that dates begin on 1st January, therefore do all the model changes only happen on the 1st January?

As the old saying goes; `its wrong to assume` !   No, upgrades or changes in model do not happen on 1st Jan.

As others have already pointed out; these changes are often minor and are a marketing ploy to increase sales once with a particular grade or model the sales start to flat line or drop off. A tweak to the engraving or a slightly better grade of wood or some techno burble about better pattern`s or reduced recoil will have some shooters reaching for their credit card as they believe that the latest offering is better than what they currently use. There is a train of thought, not without foundation,  that some of the earlier models of Beretta & Browning are better, quality wise, than current models.

Edited by JJsDad

8 hours ago, Jay_Russell said:

the only changes really on the b525 is the engraving, and some very early ones had the older chokes. 

Also after 2015 the stocks are oiled. Later ones are over bored as well.

So many models too. I have a 525 with 26inch barrels which is not a superlight.