Ebay rip offs

fatchap

Whats the worst thing you have bought from the bay after being duped into thinking you was getting something and what got delivered was just a shile of pit.?

I bought an old rusty axe head recently, I like to referb them and give them a new lease of life. Anyway there was a axe head for sale on there lots of pictures showing damage splits bad rust etc, exactly what I look for, Got it on Buy it now for 12 quid plus postage.

Anyway my parcel shows up and the first thing that gets my spidey sense a tingling was it wasnt as heavy as you would think a parcel containing an axe head inside should be.

So I open said parcel to be presented by lots of tightly packed bubble wrap, and there nestled in the middle was the axe head and a sorry looking axe head it was, yes I thought its really bad. However I didn't realise just how bad till I lifted out of the box and it disintegrated in my hands, thing must have been on the titanic Defiantly been in the sea for a long time and washed up somewhere, Ok until it dries out then the metal just crumbles as its basically rust in an axe shape.

Ripped off or what, not happy contacted the seller and ebay, awaiting response.

I bought a Clarke bench saw for £20 (too good to be true?), when I collected it the buyer had conveniently packed it up into its original box. When I set it up at home the motor was on its last legs and promptly gave up. Salvaged the starter, push stick, tct blade etc.

I bought some amethyst stones to make a bracelet. Lovely dark purple on the pictures and the price reflected it. When they arrived they were nearly clear they were so pale. Sent them back for a refund after a discussion on colour variance on computers don't  make that much difference.

A quad for my little lad.

Paid just shy of £700 for an LT50, which for an older one is getting on for top money. It had a few scratches etc but I wasn't bothered about that as I knew it was going to end up with more lol was mainly after it because I wanted some reliable for him. 

Gave it to my boy for Christmas and it broke down  Christmas day. Never seen him so heartbroken. Contacted the seller, a PCM motorcycles in St Neots and they wouldn't entain returning it, looking at at it. Simply told me they suggested I 'had it looked at' and to 'have a nice Christmas'. 

So in the next 8 months after a trip to a proper motorcycle garage and a trip to no claims court it turns out they had sold it to me with no air filter, and in turn it had sucked god knows what through the carb and made one hell of a mess of the piston and barrel. 

They didn't even bother to turn up to the hearing and in their absence the judge kindly awarded me the best part of a grand for my troubles. 

Edited by Farmboy91

The Bay has become a hot bed for con men and thieves - been looking for a Motorhome around the 10-12k mark and there are about 10 that stand out - but the name of the seller keeps changing and the Business address listed has never heard of him. More annoying are sellers who state that they are UK based - only if China has moved!! Why cant Ebay sort these jokers out? There's a seller on the site at the moment who seems to have hundreds if vehicles for sale starting at 99p, Cars,Bikes and Motorhomes . 

43 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

A quad for my little lad.

Paid just shy of £700 for an LT50, which for an older one is getting on for top money. It had a few scratches etc but I wasn't bothered about that as I knew it was going to end up with more lol was mainly after it because I wanted some reliable for him. 

Gave it to my boy for Christmas and it broke down  Christmas day. Never seen him so heartbroken. Contacted the seller, a PCM motorcycles in St Neots and they wouldn't entain returning it, looking at at it. Simply told me they suggested I 'had it looked at' and to 'have a nice Christmas'. 

So in the next 8 months after a trip to a proper motorcycle garage and a trip to no claims court it turns out they had sold it to me with no air filter, and in turn it had sucked god knows what through the carb and made one hell of a mess of the piston and barrel. 

They didn't even bother to turn up to the hearing and in their absence the judge kindly awarded me the best part of a grand for my troubles. 

:good: well done farm boy,

14 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

The Bay has become a hot bed for con men and thieves - been looking for a Motorhome around the 10-12k mark and there are about 10 that stand out - but the name of the seller keeps changing and the Business address listed has never heard of him. More annoying are sellers who state that they are UK based - only if China has moved!! Why cant Ebay sort these jokers out? There's a seller on the site at the moment who seems to have hundreds if vehicles for sale starting at 99p, Cars,Bikes and Motorhomes . 

hello, there was one for sale recently on the board in tesco with photos, i can have a look ?  

On a slight tangent, but still ebay

ordered something 3 weeks ago, delivery 1 week but UK based

item never arrived

contacted seller..."oh we carded you as there was nobody in when we called". Total lie as the delivery address is my sons warehouse ( he has a large internet based business). I explained this to them. Checked YODEL!website, indeed we had been carded at 1037 on the Friday . Not too sure where they put the card as the the letterbox was removed the day before by a DPD artic!!

anyway a week later the package arrived and tucked inside the fold of the outer wrapper was the card they had "left". Driver must have been running late and decided not to bother even trying to deliver ( must have been a different driver as the usual,one would know the address was maned during office hours )

35 minutes ago, Diver One said:

On a slight tangent, but still ebay

ordered something 3 weeks ago, delivery 1 week but UK based

item never arrived

contacted seller..."oh we carded you as there was nobody in when we called". Total lie as the delivery address is my sons warehouse ( he has a large internet based business). I explained this to them. Checked YODEL!website, indeed we had been carded at 1037 on the Friday . Not too sure where they put the card as the the letterbox was removed the day before by a DPD artic!!

anyway a week later the package arrived and tucked inside the fold of the outer wrapper was the card they had "left". Driver must have been running late and decided not to bother even trying to deliver ( must have been a different driver as the usual,one would know the address was maned during office hours )

I had something quite similar, package did not turn up. DPD website said it had been carded and they had a photo to prove it. The photo was of a metal 5 bar gate into a field not even one of my fields. I pointed out my caravan and camping park reception is manned all day during office hours. I think the driver had a lot to do so decided to just card a few. As with yours not our regular driver as he knows we are always there.

My fav to this day ( and still have it, although never used) is a Samsung mobile phone.

Back in about 2006 there was a limited edition phone endorsed by Giorgio Armani and it commanded a higher price than the normal Samsung P520 ( think that was the model).

Anyway, didn’t really need it or wish to pay over the odds so I looked at the copy route ( tut tut I know) but it looked surprisingly good in the listing.

True enough, it turned up in a copy box and upon open seemed great and would have fooled anyone- just when you looked closer and realised the branding was ‘Giorgio ArWani’ 🙂

On the plus side- it was dual sim and worked, but I never used it......

Over the years I have had many good experiences of eBay and some bad, but that equally applies to high street purchases too.

As I said before my son has a large internet business so,I see it from both sides .  Some of his customers need to seek out the tree that is providing their oxygen and apologise to.it

at Xmas they run a list of the most stupid questions asked by customers

Best ever....."how tall is your 6' Xmas tree"

followed by...

Do,you measure the height of your trees from the floor

is your circular 60cm door wreath round and what size is it

do,you Father Christmas characters have the European facial expression as I find the Germanic one too intimidating

flashing exterior lights..."if I turn the lights off when they are off will,they then be off when I turn them back on, or will they be off?"

a return request was raised on Xmas day morning for some Santa Sacks!

Reason for return?....no longer needed!

and the number of Xmases that have been ruined because a couple of lamps failed on a 500 lamp string is unmeasurable

6 hours ago, Diver One said:

As I said before my son has a large internet business so,I see it from both sides .  Some of his customers need to seek out the tree that is providing their oxygen and apologise to.it

at Xmas they run a list of the most stupid questions asked by customers

Best ever....."how tall is your 6' Xmas tree"

followed by...

Do,you measure the height of your trees from the floor

is your circular 60cm door wreath round and what size is it

do,you Father Christmas characters have the European facial expression as I find the Germanic one too intimidating

flashing exterior lights..."if I turn the lights off when they are off will,they then be off when I turn them back on, or will they be off?"

a return request was raised on Xmas day morning for some Santa Sacks!

Reason for return?....no longer needed!

and the number of Xmases that have been ruined because a couple of lamps failed on a 500 lamp string is unmeasurable

They gave us a real titter

I quite like eBay. Buy and sell regularly and rarely have a problem. 

For example, my last new iPhone came off eBay and it was a much better experience than a similar transaction in carphone warehouse. 

First place I look when I am after something but you do need your wits about you.

20 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

I quite like eBay. Buy and sell regularly and rarely have a problem. 

For example, my last new iPhone came off eBay and it was a much better experience than a similar transaction in carphone warehouse. 

First place I look when I am after something but you do need your wits about you.

Same. Well into 4 figures on feedback, only once or twice in 13 years have I needed to kick off. Had a few duffs from China, but got a refund straight away. 

I am starting to dislike the bay now, from a sellers point of view, no protection for you. Many a time a customers said theyve not recieved goods, to find ebay have refunded them without contacting me. After I've posted. And got proof of posting. And a signature. Or they've not turned up to collect, then I still get billed for selling. Then I can't leave them ****ty feedback only positive but they can leave me bad feedback!

Once sold a antique cupboard, im gillingham dorset, not in Kent. A buyer pays then realises her mistake and starts threatening me with legal action as I wouldnt post even tho I stated collection only. She was going off the rails. Instant bad feedback my way within a hour of her cock up. Bidding on my other items, guaranteed not going to pay. So a little research on her username (fakebook, instaprat, gumtree, imgur ect) revealed she was a antique dealer in Surrey, and a few posts via a few sites soon had a full apology my way, and her to explain to ebay and paypal her mistake, so I didn't get charged, which would of been a fair amount. Nasty cow she was. 

Edited by strimmer_13

Sent back useless solar garden lights for a refund and once managed to order the wrong pressure cooker lid gasket but my own fault ! On the whole I find it's a fantastic place to price check and buy certain items including some very obscure stuff like deployment watch straps where I saved myself several hundred pounds by just buying the buckle from China instead of a new strap from an authorised dealer. 

Rarely sell on there but did once sell a piano and stated COC or cleared funds because of their Paypal rule which means as a non frequent seller they want to hold on to my money for several weeks 😑  refunded the money to the buyer with an explanation and she paid the money directly into my bank the same day and sent people to collect it, conmen could easily keep such monies. If I need a small bit for some garden hose for instance I just go on ebay and get a pair for 99p instead of paying £4.50 for one from B&Q. 

Sold a horsebox on there yesterday for 3x what I'd paid for it. Ended up with a bidding war between someone local and a woman in California who wanted to import it to sell cupcakes from. Initially I thought she was running a scam as had zero feedback, but I contacted the company she claimed to work for through Facebook and I'm convinced she was genuine. The local guy won it in the end, which is probably for the best, but can't complain at the price.