Repair shop

B725

hello, i have watched a few and they have some very gifted people in all sorts of renovation work, any one in the West Sussex area or on holiday it is filmed at the OPEN AIR museum at Singleton between Chichester and Midhurst road A286, worth a visit, some of the houses were taken down in parts of Sussex and rebuilt in the museum grounds. 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

The workmanship and skill of the restorers is incredible, I agree, the gunslip was too flash for me but  so very skilfully restored, however I was surprised the stitching had rotted so badly in only 30 years.

If I lived closer, I would love to have my grandfathers leather embossed ‘ leg of mutton’ shotgun case restored.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

I watched all the series when it first came out, if you missed it first time its well worth watching this re-run, I think they made about 100 programs….https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l581p/episodes/guide

Thanks for that link Old'un. The programme tonight is the first one that I've watched, so will now watch some more. Love programmes like that.

OB

I have recorded most of them. I love programmes like this, in fact anything that is well done and done with pride. Whether it be restoration of a car, steam engine from scratch, finishing a stock, rebuilding a knife....anyhthing that the person doing the work can proudly finish at the end of the day and say "that's good, I did that".   And NOT 'that'll do!"

only downside is that presenter, Gay Blade , or whatever he is called....gets right up my nose, right up, right into and past my sinuses!

12 hours ago, Sciurus said:

I was surprised the stitching had rotted so badly in only 30 years.

The answer here may lie in how it has been treated (as in what cleaning/preservation/waterproofing has been used) over the years.  I have heard some traditional treatments do rot stitching, particularly Neats Foot Oil.

Just now, Gunman said:

The part they miss out is when they present the bills !  This I would love to see or is all work free ? If it is then I have a truck load , any one got the address ?

If it's free - join the queue!

In fact I suspect it is paid for by the TV programme making company.  Free to the lucky owner, restorers get paid.  There are a lot of interesting tasks that come up.  What also isn't shown is how many hours of careful work these tasks take.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If it's free - join the queue!

In fact I suspect it is paid for by the TV programme making company.  Free to the lucky owner, restorers get paid.  There are a lot of interesting tasks that come up.  What also isn't shown is how many hours of careful work these tasks take.

hello, i am sure there is a web site you go on with these programmes and put you name forward and what you have to get fixed up, maybe a story behind the item all good TV, i am sure the people who get on are given some sort of incentive, but go back a few years to a make over show with Laurence Bowen a couple in the Town i know had their kitchen done, cost em £5000 !!!   it is the same for Dickensons Deal, jo public sit down with XYZ dealer, after a bit of barter dealer buys item, end of programme dealer shown to loose money on said item, oops but nice big appearance fee for dealer, !!!!!!! oh and even larger for Mr Dickenson, in his chauffeur driven Rolls 

more info

15 minutes ago, Gunman said:

The part they miss out is when they present the bills !  This I would love to see or is all work free ? If it is then I have a truck load , any one got the address ?

Reading about the program it appears the program makers select the objects for repair and the repairs are free, makes you wonder about the cost of these repairs as I would imagine its not cheap but it does make very enjoyable watching.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Reading about the program it appears the program makers select the objects for repair and the repairs are free, makes you wonder about the cost of these repairs as I would imagine its not cheap but it does make very enjoyable watching.

hello old un, i agree it is a joy to watch good craftsman/ladyship,  next time i go down to the Area i shall make a point to visit, seems they have a long list of people to do the work on the show, each one an expert in their chosen profession

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure there is a web site you go on with these programmes and put you name forward and what you have to get fixed up, maybe a story behind the item all good TV, i am sure the people who get on are given some sort of incentive, but go back a few years to a make over show with Laurence Bowen a couple in the Town i know had their kitchen done, cost em £5000 !!!   it is the same for Dickensons Deal, jo public sit down with XYZ dealer, after a bit of barter dealer buys item, end of programme dealer shown to loose money on said item, oops but nice big appearance fee for dealer, !!!!!!! oh and even larger for Mr Dickenson, in his chauffeur driven Rolls 

I applied to go on.

I have a pocket watch that belonged to my great grandad, it was presented to him by the people of the village (town now) he came from for his service in WW1.

He was presented with the Military Medal.

It is engraved as such but it has stopped working and the hinges on the case could do with repairing.

It will be 100 years on July 19th this year that it was given to him.

You have to send photos and a bit of a back story as to why you think you should be selected.

I never heard anything back 😕

:shaun:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg