why do people hate pumps so much

i was out clay pigeon shooting the other day and was amazed when an older gentleman told me to "buy a proper gun" - with some venom and as an opening comment. I thought it really funny and some of his friends looked a little embarrassed. 

Anyway, walking around the grounds i noticed that there were a fair few older gentlemen with really nice semi auto's ( one presumes due to recoil issues). Anything that allows someone to shoot is good in my books - semi autos are gradually becoming acceptable as a generation realizes that they need them for medical reasons.  This brings me on to my main question - why are pumps so hated ? will they eventually be accepted ? will we see semi auto's on pheasant shoots ? why some much prejudice against pumps ? 

Q

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowt wrong with P/A guns in the right hands and in the right situation, I think the guy who commented negatively whilst claybustin is an ignorant Richard head!.....however personally, being old and a traditionalist, I would not want to see them (nor a S/A) on a driven day!

9 minutes ago, quentyn said:

i was out clay pigeon shooting the other day and was amazed when an older gentleman told me to "buy a proper gun" - with some venom and as an opening comment. I thought it really funny and some of his friends looked a little embarrassed. 

Anyway, walking around the grounds i noticed that there were a fair few toolder gentlemen with really nice semi auto's ( one presumes due to recoil issues). Anything that allows someone to shoot is good in my books - semi autos are gradually becoming acceptable as a generation realizes that they need them for medical reasons.  This brings me on to my main question - why are pumps so hated ? will they eventually be accepted ? will we see semi auto's on pheasant shoots ? why some much prejudice against pumps ? 

Q

Pure ignorance and out right rudeness on the haters part its that simple, the traditionalists pushed the pump and semi haltered from way back. It started with the multi shot greed stance the unsportsmanlike approach, but many other criticism get implied. such as "can not be seen to be safe" " can not check for obstructed barrels easily"  "spent cases littering the area" "and the list goes on and on.  What it all boils down it is an unhealthy mix of Ignorance rudeness and lack of respect or acceptance of other peoples choice topped of with an over inflated "it is my road or the high road " Mentality  these people bolster up with Traditional and nostalgic foundations. Believe it or not the Over and unders were not always made welcome back in the day in some circles. 

Carry on stay safe and let them make fools of themselves.

I was chatting with an old shooter once and he was telling me supposedly that the first time an O/U was used game shooting was by a royal (who's going to tell them no) and it would only take one of them to take a semi/pump and it would filter down. 

How true it was I don't know but I imagine like most stories theres probably a grain of truth to it. 

The whole attitude you've described is a big part of our problem as a community. 

1 hour ago, quentyn said:

Anyway, walking around the grounds i noticed that there were a fair few older gentlemen with really nice semi auto's ( one presumes due to recoil issues). Anything that allows someone to shoot is good in my books - semi autos are gradually becoming acceptable as a generation realizes that they need them for medical reasons.  This brings me on to my main question - why are pumps so hated ? will they eventually be accepted ? will we see semi auto's on pheasant shoots ? why some much prejudice against pumps ? 

Q

oops can a kind mod move this to the right location - sorry posted in the GL discussion by mistake 

2 hours ago, quentyn said:

Q

Lot's of P/A's in attendance at clay shoots out our way .

Enjoy your gun and your shooting.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you maybe right farmboy, the first O/U came into being by John Browning and in UK James Woodward or maybe a PW can give a more detailed answer, 

It might be a load of old twoddle 😂 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

It is, perhaps, just worth noting - read nothing more than that into this -  that it is our traditions that have played a major role in keeping us safe. Ignore them at your peril.

I appreciate that tradition is important, but now more than ever I think we should all try and be as inclusive as we can? 

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

It might be a load of old twoddle 😂 

I appreciate that tradition is important, but now more than ever I think we should all try and be as inclusive as we can? 

Absolutely, which is precisely why I added in the disclaimer.  However to expand, what many of the younger/novice shooters do not realise is that the vast majority of our traditions are safety orientated so  being a tad hasty in ignoring them can all too easily have unfortunate consequences.

46 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Absolutely, which is precisely why I added in the disclaimer.  However to expand, what many of the younger/novice shooters do not realise is that the vast majority of our traditions are safety orientated so  being a tad hasty in ignoring them can all too easily have unfortunate consequences.

Definitely I 100% agree, but more than once I've seen things at clay grounds that we all know shouldn't be done and it's not necessarily the younger shots doing it. 

I did see the gun shop video on YouTube the other day regarding psg, and while Johnny got a bit of stick in some of the comments I was throughly impressed by the seriousness with that safety side of it was taken. 

I think alot of clay shots could do with brushing up, regardless of what gun they are using. 

Some folk can't seem to let old prejudices go. Pumps and autos are as safe as any other firearm if given the same consideration, especially at clay grounds. In our small driven syndicate you can use any mechanism you care to bring, and to hear a pump being racked on the next peg isn't unknown. 

9 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Nowt wrong with P/A guns in the right hands and in the right situation, I think the guy who commented negatively whilst claybustin is an ignorant Richard head!.....however personally, being old and a traditionalist, I would not want to see them (nor a S/A) on a driven day!

OK for drive bys though Paul LOL.

47 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

It won't matter soon, if we can't agree that any gun is ok and its the person behind it that matters we have no chance when packham makes his move to ban it (and he will). Soon be a distant memory over a pint. 

He can want what he wants, we live in a democracy he or should i say his brief went for the weakest spot on a soft underbelly. This is not done by a long chalk. Lets wait and see what the government come up with first. 

I dare say the time will come when auto's and pumps will be used on driven game shooting days , although I am not saying I have seen every gun used as some guns are only taken out of there sleeves when the gun who is using it is on his / her peg and when the drive is finished it goes straight back in the case , but in all the shoots I have been on I have never seen either pump or auto used .

When I used to drive the guns about around 30 years ago you would only see the odd over / under as a lot of s x s were handed down from father to son , now it's the other way round , mainly o / u with the odd s x s , and I have also noticed that a lot of smaller bore guns are used nowadays .

So I have no doubt we will see pumps and autos before to long . 

17 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Dont hold your breath. We really need to pull together or more will be at stake than some like to believe. 

Pulling together is not going to happen , we have to face the facts on that one.

But what you can do is encourage any friends of associates who are not in your chosen Organisation/s. to join up that is a good start.

Packhan is good at the old media game he has controlled everything he has done so far, and when it looked like he was loosing control he got the high ground with the Crows on gate death threat allegations, and he milked that on Good morning when he dodged the BASC interview on Good morning.

His no shooting for pleasure rants are just fluffing up his feathers and crowing , he has not given any of this a seconds thought. But i am sure the government have and i do not think they want a recruitment drive a pensions bill and wages bill every month for what we do now for free and bring money into the economy to boot.

No its a long way to go yet , and lots to consider before his never never land is born. We should know some more " Shortly" the email to BASC said on Friday Night.   We will have a better idea then what we need to do next. I got my forms in Yesterday for New Zealand. Might be we will all be going there, lets wait and see first hey? .

I think the writing is in the wall. The rise in veganism and the dislike of shooting full stop. Cp knew what he was doing and did it well. I don't believe he put the crows on his fence for a second, he didn't need to. 

He and others like him will continue as they are and slowly things will go, after all we can't stand behind someone using a pump action on a clay ground let alone unite behind all shooting. The organisations were stuck in the shooting mags, I've yet to see one game meat advert outside of them. They can lobby all they like but have zero effect. Look at the dr's reports and before that the fees.   Before that was the.22 ban.  Clays only soon I'm sure and then that will go in time. 

Until the inevitable  I shall continue and enjoy what i still have.