why do people hate pumps so much

I hate when vegetarians and vegans push / impose their ways on us with all their serious health issues , ( its a bit like bible bashers god looks after you in their tribe ) and still tell the ones with a healthy balanced diet they are wrong,  man / woman have always been hunter gathers (nature) prevails, take supermarkets out of the equation with their bland hydroponic food,  a hunter gatherer will be very popular when hunger sets in       vegetarian and veganism is only ever seen in affluent countries ,all others  eat what they can get to stay alive.             hunger is good sauce     

Edited by Saltings

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

I hate when vegetarians and vegans push / impose their ways on us with all their serious health issues , ( its a bit like bible bashers god looks after you in their tribe ) and still tell the ones with a healthy balanced diet they are wrong,  man / woman have always been hunter gathers (nature) prevails, take supermarkets out of the equation with their bland hydroponic food,  a hunter gatherer will be very popular when hunger sets in       vegetarian and veganism is only ever seen in affluent countries ,all others  eat what they can get to stay alive.             hunger is good sauce     

Sage like comments!:good:

Up mere clay ground about Dec there was a fella up there ******* the masses off, with his moss 500. Looked like a farmer, mixed in with the tweed brigade in the ques. Best bit, he'd literally taken a can of pink spray paint and coated every part, badly. I went and had a chat as I had my sxp, he'd been getting comments about a pump, so he coloured it in so they could moan about something. He wasn't early 20s either, this was a guy touching 60s and knew how to use it. We both laughed at the reactions. Fair play to him. 

I apologised to the last guy moaning that I can't fit my own head up my own *** as far as he can. The gun I use 95% of the time is a pump 👍 shame I'm **** with it... 

22 hours ago, wymberley said:

Absolutely, which is precisely why I added in the disclaimer.  However to expand, what many of the younger/novice shooters do not realise is that the vast majority of our traditions are safety orientated so  being a tad hasty in ignoring them can all too easily have unfortunate consequences.

I wouldn't say the view of pumps or s/a fits that though. I would far rather see a flagged semi or pump slung over someone's shoulder than a gun slip containing a gun that may or may not be loaded and/or safe.

Sometimes the 'traditional' way of doing things just isn't that safe. 

Especially if people are waving the slip around as if a bit of leather and canvas has magical shot stopping properties. 

Saw a chap a few weeks ago removing his o/u gun from his slip (fortunately doing so properly). On breaking the gun as he pulled it out there were a couple of live cartridges still loaded. 

On 28/05/2019 at 12:54, Lord v said:

I wouldn't say the view of pumps or s/a fits that though. I would far rather see a flagged semi or pump slung over someone's shoulder than a gun slip containing a gun that may or may not be loaded and/or safe.

Sometimes the 'traditional' way of doing things just isn't that safe. 

Especially if people are waving the slip around as if a bit of leather and canvas has magical shot stopping properties. 

Saw a chap a few weeks ago removing his o/u gun from his slip (fortunately doing so properly). On breaking the gun as he pulled it out there were a couple of live cartridges still loaded. 

So much for going to the trouble of adding a disclaimer!

Its not just pump shotguns, there is a lot of snobbery in our sport (I've been subjected to it myself), there are people who look down on old guns, cheaper guns, semi auto's and side by sides on a clay ground. god help you if you've got an old cheap side by side! Instead of a friendly "hello" or nod it's not uncommon to hear nasty comments aimed at us lesser mortals who cannot afford the latest and greatest clay killing over/under. (I do own a nice o/u ) More than once my hatsan s/a has kicked the *** of guns costing more than 10 times the price. Personally I'm more interested when somebody has something unusual.

10 minutes ago, stu64 said:

Its not just pump shotguns, there is a lot of snobbery in our sport (I've been subjected to it myself), there are people who look down on old guns, cheaper guns, semi auto's and side by sides on a clay ground. god help you if you've got an old cheap side by side! Instead of a friendly "hello" or nod it's not uncommon to hear nasty comments aimed at us lesser mortals who cannot afford the latest and greatest clay killing over/under. (I do own a nice o/u ) More than once my hatsan s/a has kicked the *** of guns costing more than 10 times the price. Personally I'm more interested when somebody has something unusual.

The best thing to do is just get on shooting and show them you know what you're doing!

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Yea same here. 

Ive got my hushpower and a £30hammer sxs I'm going to try out, should raise a few comments! 

I like taking my sxs and greener gp for the same reason. 

It always gets me when people look when you pull a sxs out of the slip. 

1 hour ago, chilly1981 said:

Haha me and my mate were playing about on a round of skeet the other Week with a whincester 1870 now that was fun and seen a few people having a good stare but not much to say when he shot a 22 of 25 round with it 

Unless I'm mistaken the Model 1870 was a .22 rf pump action rifle. 

1 hour ago, chilly1981 said:

Sorry meant 1887 I’m full of sinusitis and it’s  taking its toll 

such a fun thing to shoot  but more of a chin rather than cheek weld 😂

2627436F-E331-4DE8-B4E8-CC52270AD0A2.jpeg

Norinco  i think it is   Chinese/ Taiwanese  do a version of the 1887 have made them for a few  years. 

Edited by lancer425

My dad had an 1897 WW1 trench gun and you could see where the bayonet carrier had been screwed on the barrel... just under the 24” and fitted with a Cutts compensator. Apparently anyone found carrying one by the Germans was executed on the spot.

It was in clean condition and I was gutted when he gave it away to a keeper moving on from a local shoot.... often wonder where it is now.

Wouldn’t mind getting it back but think there’s small chance of that...hoping it’s sitting loved in someone’s collection and taken out for exercise now and again.

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

3 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

My dad had an 1897 WW1 trench gun and you could see where the bayonet carrier had been screwed on the barrel... just under the 24” and fitted with a Cutts compensator. Apparently anyone found carrying one by the Germans was executed on the spot.

It was in clean condition and I was gutted when he gave it away to a keeper moving on from a local shoot.... often wonder where it is now.

Wouldn’t mind getting it back but think there’s small chance of that...hoping it’s sitting loved in someone’s collection and taken out for exercise now and again.

Fizz

Yes, I believe the Germans even tried to have them banned under the Geneva convention. They were ok with mustard gas though!

One of the reasons the Americans liked pumps was because once it was fired everybody knew it was safe until it was racked again. So you could put it down on the bottom of the boat  (they like shooting from boats) while you rowed out to retrieve your duck. Let the dog sit on it, sling it in the back of the truck etc etc without everybody having palpitations. 

But you only had to rack it and you still had another four possible shots ready to go. You could use it for both ducks and deer. In Upstate New York you were only allowed to hunt deer with shotguns loaded with slugs. Centrefire rifles were not allowed in the woods. and they would carry the pump action with an empty chamber, something you couldn't do so easily with a semi.

Pretty much they only hunted ducks and deer so an adjustable choke and a set of Williams shotgun sights and one gun is all you need.

Edited by Vince Green

I don't think there is any hate for pumps. Hate is a very powerful emotion. I shoot at many grounds around the country  I have witnessed some silly actions by people with all types of shotgun. I shoot with people using different guns and a couple who sometimes bring a pump along. Never witnessed any untoward comments but I will say most of these arrive dressed in casual clothes and bring the pump to do an odd round for fun. Not like the other end of the scale where I was at a shoot it was early summer and one chap head to toe in camo army boots and a balaclava. I am afraid he was asking for the disapproving looks he got. Along with the fact he had no clue as to how to use it. I really don't care what others are using as long as they are not doing so just to try and provoke a reaction so they can cry about it later. 

The one thing that annoys me at clay grounds. The only thing really.  Is people ejecting their carts into the floor and then leaving them there. 

It's a minor thing I know but when there's a bin right in front of you its really no trouble to eject them into your hand and put them in it. Or pick them up if you've a semi or pump. 

I went yesterday for a quick round and watched 4 guns in front shoot. 3 did the decent thing, the 4th just opened her gun and let them fall all over the place. This repeated every stand. She was a good shot too, dressed in all the gear, clearly had been plenty of times, just rude or lazy I guess. I then cant help but wonder if they throw drink cans out of car windows or leave rubbish on the floor when they go out. I suspect they do.