This is crop damage to peas by pigeons.

JDog

Pigeons just know when they are out of bounds. The bottom half of this field regularly has between 200 and 300 pigeons on it but I cannot shoot them as the field is too near to stables and it is out of bounds. The top half of the field, with identical soil type and depth, never has a pigeon on it.

thumbnail_20190527_110926_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20190527_111110_resized.jpg

loads of pigeons around at the moment ........the pea fields have not been touched............

i have given up reading the GL threads............will just wait for the outcome....and its the sort of outcome which will mean i can grab my gun and cartridges...and ask nobodies permission 'cept the farmer ...and just get on with it and not be bothered........

Airgun mate .

Get nice and well hidden set out a few (maybe 5 ) well spaced apart .

Furthest around 35 yds nearest 20 yds 

Wind ideally in your face so the birds land with their backs to you. That way when they touch down your presented with the big most effective shot to the back .

Dont discount how effective this can be .as a quiet airgun can have birds still dropping in as your killing birds on the floor .a high wire or a tree in range is also very useful .

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

loads of pigeons around at the moment ........the pea fields have not been touched............

i have given up reading the GL threads............will just wait for the outcome....and its the sort of outcome which will mean i can grab my gun and cartridges...and ask nobodies permission 'cept the farmer ...and just get on with it and not be bothered........

I take it the outcome have already been sorted and we can carry on as per normal as long as we comply with the non lethal methods  which are not that difficult , if the farm have put a gas gun , a few flags and they continue to return then I do my best to reduce the numbers and I don't really expect anyone to interfere with what I am doing , if they ever did , which I doubt they ever will I would have the estates back up to say I am the last resort .

Stop worrying everyone and let us all get back to business .:good:

pigeons don't damage crops,corvids don't kill songbirds,in fact magpies are so rare now they must be protected.

Here endeth the first reading of the gospel according to Chris Peckerhead.

That's quite some acreage of damage .

Cut the telegraph pole down first as per NE sitty tree removal solution and the problem will be solved.

if the farmer does re sow then as motty and ultrastu say moderated shotgun or air rifle is the only way to protect the crop given the proximity to the stables.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

100%.........................:good:

1 minute ago, aga man said:

Apparently a scarecrow sat in a chair, wearing your clothes and holding a stick can help prevent these problems, i take it you already tried that approach JDog👎🙃

thats his natural look............cross between resident lounge lizard and wurzel gumage......(and thats on a good day)

That look like some serious damage Mr JDog , we have got some damage on the Peas but that is down to Rabbits and just a few pigeons .

One of our rape fields was hit hard by pigeons and a good few acres have been taken up and re drilled with Millet of all things .

One or two photos I took before it was pulled up and re drilled

SAM-8336.jpg

SAM-8332.jpg

SAM-8327.jpg

SAM-8326.jpg

I see from the adverts for tonights spring watch that a pair of storks have nested in an oak tree somewhere in the south of england, How spiffing i wonder if Chris peckerhead is going to tell us how many thousands of poundsworth of damage have been caused since we as pigeon shooters have been stopped from doing our bit to help manage the land,

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2019 at 13:56, ditchman said:

+1

Bit of a stutter there Mossy ? :whistling:

I would not have hesitated to go out as Marshman says, but unfortunately there have been no pigeons to scare/shoot around my patch. Peas on other farms have not been touched and the only pigeon activity is on clover in horse paddocks, obviously out of bounds. Cannot wait until harvest when I`ll be shooting over rape stubble but protecting the adjacent ripening beans and/or wheat. Perhaps prior to that shooting over the wheat being hit by pigeons either landing in the tramlines or their fairly recent trick of landing with outstretched wings on the now shorter grown wheat.

OB

Yes, I have noticed that our local pigeons seem to have a thing for clover this last week or so, even my neighbour asked me if I could shoot those on her lawn !! NO1 NO! I said, Chris Packham is the man. You just go out run round in circles every 15 mins and shouting  SHOO!      SHOO!     SHOO!