What to buy

Tommyguns1979

Hello all and thank you in advance for any advice.

I'm a complete beginner and have only been shooting a few times using a mates Beretta 692.  Having now received my certificate I can now purchase my first gun however, what to buy.  I keep getting drawn back to the Beretta 690 Sporting Black but when I’m in the shop I wonder if I’m doing the right thing. 90% of my time shooting will be Clays but if I get the chance then I will go game but as I say only if the chance comes. 

Cheers,

Steve 

If you can afford it and you want it go for it.....Me personally i wouldn't spend so much on a first gun, not that i could afford to spend that much on a gun full stop lol. I bought a silver pigeon for my first gun, then a cheap lanber sporter on a whim. I use the lanber more and shoot better with it, cost me £300. Wish id bought the cheap one in the first place to be honest. 

How about buy a cheap but good sh gun .use it. Learn it. Add bits /take bits away to make it fit you and shoot exactly where you are looking .know its range and how to kill birds /clays with it - enjoy it for a year or so. Then when your as good as you can be with it .and you can recognize its short comings you can now (with much more knowledge ) buy the correct gun that fits and fullfils your needs ideally .

It might be a ou , sxs ,semi auto ,pump or even a hushpower .

But you will have learnt much much more about shot gunning than picking up an expensive first gun that doesnt fit (and so you miss ) but are too scared to alter .and become frustrated and disillusioned .

Personally (depending on the type of shooting your gonna do ) id buy a sh  ou for around £300 -400 .and do as i said above. 

I personally would go to a clay ground and use a few guns. In fact that’s exactly what I did do.

I tried a Miroku mk70, Silver pigeon and browning 525. 

I shot well with the silver pigeon and MK and found a second hand silver pigeon for under £1000 and bought it. 

Ive has it maybe 18ish months now and get on well with it. When the time comes to move on I can sell it for similar to what I paid for it, although don’t really have any need to buy a more expensive gun. 

Buy a well known brand that’ll hold its value, known to shoot well and spend the extra £1200 on carts, clays and some lessons.