Glasses

eastlincs

Hi,

Maybe a daft/obvious question, but could somebody tell me whats the benefits of the different coloured safety glasses i keep seeing people where? 

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Red

Is there an actual purpose behind them or just a personal choice of colour? 

I'm using these 3M amber for low light or dull days, to great effect:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Safety-Glasses-Anti-Scratch-Anti-Fog/dp/B00GDHZP6I?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_11

This particular set, clear or tinted, are optically very good, right up to the top of the lenses and they're cheap enough to buy for a try. Seen them a pound a pair cheaper than in that Amazon link. I prefer them to my £40 specs. 

On 28/05/2019 at 14:32, Uilleachan said:

I'm using these 3M amber for low light or dull days, to great effect:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Safety-Glasses-Anti-Scratch-Anti-Fog/dp/B00GDHZP6I?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_11

This particular set, clear or tinted, are optically very good, right up to the top of the lenses and they're cheap enough to buy for a try. Seen them a pound a pair cheaper than in that Amazon link. I prefer them to my £40 specs. 

I have heard that the orange lenses can help see the clays better. 

For less than £7 worth a punt. 

On 28/05/2019 at 19:23, eastlincs said:

Nice one thanks for that. Just ordered a set give them a try. 

How’d you get on? 

My pair arrived today, haven’t shot anything yet going out Sunday though. 

They certainly seem to brighten up the view of whatever when wearing them around the house though. 

Remember why you use safety glasses. Broken clays and more importantly lead shot fallout.

I have personal experience of shot rebound off trees and shot coming back off the rim of a quarry.

Ive used cheap safety glasses as you guys are buying but I bought two pairs and shot at one pair at 40 mtrs with full choke 28 x 7.5s.

Smithereens one pr other pair reulgated to theb grinder bench.

You have only one pair of eyes.

6 minutes ago, tignme said:

Remember why you use safety glasses. Broken clays and more importantly lead shot fallout.

I have personal experience of shot rebound off trees and shot coming back off the rim of a quarry.

Ive used cheap safety glasses as you guys are buying but I bought two pairs and shot at one pair at 40 mtrs with full choke 28 x 7.5s.

Smithereens one pr other pair reulgated to theb grinder bench.

You have only one pair of eyes.

Very true, I saw a couple of parents and 3 children at a clay ground the other week the children been from 8-12. All shooting incomers, none with glasses on. The parents, it’s their choice, the kids at least should of had glasses.

4 hours ago, buze said:

I personally use these: bit more expensive, but are polarised. There are quite a few other in the same price bracket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HMXLYCP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the ones originally posted today but not ideal as they were steaming up a bit, so I took them off. 

We did have showers on and off, my mate who wears regular glasses to see was struggling with his steaming up and he couldn’t take his off as he can’t see without them!

Yeah, steaming up is worse in winter, trick is to keep them on. But when it's raining and cool, even the guys with the £600 anti misting super specs suffer the same issue. Intermediate drying with a clean cotton rag sorts this. 

As far as the suitability of EN166:2001 safety specs for shooting? Although the set featured in the link I posted bear the legend "FT", low impact high temp, the lenses themselves are manufactured to a higher standard, because the standard derivatives isn't just dealing with lens, rather they're also looking at what happens to the glasses when they're impacted. Does the lens come out of the frame, is the lens shattered or broken etc.      

Well, I've just been out to the garden to test my redundant pair, the point blank .20 11.4fpe test, and they failed the high energy projectile test, in that one of the arms came off during the impact (specs rested against a stump so the specs absorbed as much of the energy as was available), medium projectile standards are usually goggles and high, a visor, designed not to break or come off the head during the event.

Here are the photos and as can be seen the lens is only dented, I rather fancy they'd do just fine in the 40y full choke test with say English #7 shot, you'd be picking a bit of shot out of your head and face, but your eyes would be just fine.  

Specs 1.jpg

Specs 2.jpg

@Uilleachan many times I've given up on this forum until I find some rare folk doing stuff like you just did. Thanks for the time you spent testing these!

It's very likely the steaming is due to one of the 'feature' of the glasses: all encompassing around the head, basically preventing projectile to go 'around' the glass into the eye, so it's very likely the £xxxx glasses and the cheap 3M have the same 'requirements' there. As demonstrated they do the job pretty well, despite the 'failure' of one side.

Optically is very likely the more 'interesting' business. The 3M glasses (which i tried) are very good and lighten up the scene, but 'wash out' also, the polarised one I pointed to have really, truely excellent contrast -- in fact sometime it's amazing, there are some situations were you feel you see several meters MORE with them on than without. Fog, or sparse woodland comes to mind. But, it's VERY unlikely the models I've pointed out would fare as well in a proper safety test.

3 hours ago, buze said:

@Uilleachan many times I've given up on this forum until I find some rare folk doing stuff like you just did. Thanks for the time you spent testing these!

It's very likely the steaming is due to one of the 'feature' of the glasses: all encompassing around the head, basically preventing projectile to go 'around' the glass into the eye, so it's very likely the £xxxx glasses and the cheap 3M have the same 'requirements' there. As demonstrated they do the job pretty well, despite the 'failure' of one side.

Optically is very likely the more 'interesting' business. The 3M glasses (which i tried) are very good and lighten up the scene, but 'wash out' also, the polarised one I pointed to have really, truely excellent contrast -- in fact sometime it's amazing, there are some situations were you feel you see several meters MORE with them on than without. Fog, or sparse woodland comes to mind. But, it's VERY unlikely the models I've pointed out would fare as well in a proper safety test.

Thanks Buze. And I hear what you say regarding the steaming being partly due to the design and the optical advantage of the slightly more up market specs, polaroid filters et al. I'm not a fan of having to wear specs for shooting, although actual speckiness is creeping up on me and I wore safety glasses at work for years, so I know what they're about and can live with using them provided they suit me optically.

All the shoots I attend have safety glasses signs up, but not tightly enforced. I was at a DTL shoot at a registered ground when the ref advised me the I'd forgotten to put my specs on, they were hanging off my shirt, so put them on and still shot well. Since then I've made a point of using them at every shoot regardless of status.  

If your specs have EN166:2001 F or FT, the norm for standard safety specs, marked on them they'll stop an 11+fpe projectile, and I reckon a good bit more, by contrast, a #7 shot projectile traveling at average velocities by 40 yards is delivering less than 1fpe. Point blank, or close, with #7 shot, blindness would be the least of your worries.

Edited by Uilleachan

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2019 at 01:12, Lloyd90 said:

How’d you get on? 

My pair arrived today, haven’t shot anything yet going out Sunday though. 

They certainly seem to brighten up the view of whatever when wearing them around the house though. 

Delayed replies, been away on holiday. Ive only used them the once, wasn't to impressed to be honest, i fount them uncomfortable after about 20 minutes they where digging into the tops of my ears where they sit so will be buying a different pair at some point. 

Edited by eastlincs