Hull Pro One alternatives

Won some Hull Pro Ones recently and on shooting them remembered what an excellent shell they are. I find the are smooth to shoot and really “kill” well. Anyone come across an alternative that’s as good but at a more competitive price. Or is it a case of you only get what you pay for?

I can’t shoot any shells that are a bit thumpy or I start flinching!

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Don't like superfast,28g I only  shoot 21 or 24 max. 

You will probably flince shooting superfast 

Have to agree with this. Think they are 27g - I was quite glad when I finished the slab and could change to something else.

1 hour ago, MrPhantom said:

Have to agree with this. Think they are 27g - I was quite glad when I finished the slab and could change to something else.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Stab in the dark, any of you flinchers ever had your guns fitted to you?

I found they were OK through my ATA as it weighed a ton, through the 686 they were too snappy for me. 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Stab in the dark, any of you flinchers ever had your guns fitted to you?

Yes and it does make a difference but not a total elimination in my case. Couple of things, not having the comb too low as to obscure your peripheral vision and having the grip sorted so that the pull is straight back and not on the diagonal. Still a bit of a mystery but I do know that thumpy shells don’t help.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

I used to like the Hull Pro One 300’s. ... very soft shooting. When they passed a cost threshold a few years ago, I moved onto Fiocchi Official Trap .... beautifully smooth and a lot cheaper than Hull (especially from Cecil!).

Yes I do like Officials and that is what I have been shooting for competition the past few years but just felt the pro ones were softer. I know it’s a bit subjective.

I too buy from Cecil’s but with the new increase from Fiocchi they are not far off the Pro ones price now.

Might take another look at RC2s as mentioned by cookoff013 have shot them in the past and they are a good shell.

20 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

Have you tried any Cheddite Trap Oro’s ? 

No but was talking to the chap from Malmo guns the importer at a the Cheddite championships on Monday he was recommending them and they certainly look the part. Pricey though?

14 minutes ago, chesterse said:

No but was talking to the chap from Malmo guns the importer at a the Cheddite championships on Monday he was recommending them and they certainly look the part. Pricey though?

Blimey, what are the chances of that? An Importer recommending his products!:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey, what are the chances of that? An Importer recommending his products!:rolleyes:

Should have said that particular cartridge from a range of several after I outlined my requirements. That’s what I like about these forums there’s always one smart ****! 😃

29 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Cheddite Rapeeds are amazing 

Two friends tried them today both found them kicky compared to Hull Superfast and Gamebore Velocity carts. They both wished they had enough of their preferred carts for the round rather than use the rapids.

When you get used to a cartridge and like it, any change is felt.

Just try CompX 28g. it's the softest cartridge on the market. It's softer than pretty much all 24g I tried, and only beaten by ... CompX 21g.

CompX is cheap, 65mm so fits into any gun, even antiques, is fiber, and will break pretty much anything I shoot straight at. I've beaten guys shooting perazzis with fancy carts with my 130yo hammer gun and CompX at my club.

I KNOW I get better dustballs of this and this and that with plastic etc etc, but overall, "thump" vs price vs quality of CompX is great. The Imperial Game is CompX with game shots too, so I shoot that as well, in various sizes depending.

9 hours ago, chesterse said:

Should have said that particular cartridge from a range of several after I outlined my requirements. That’s what I like about these forums there’s always one smart ****! 😃

Or one person who fails to explain what they really meant to type!:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, chesterse said:

hello, sounds like your very new to shooting, but like many on here with years of experience even myself after more than 50 years there is always something new to learn,  you mention to punchy and flinching, can i ask what gun you are shooting with, many of us on PW know that it is best to cure a habit before it becomes routine, 

Pro One is a top quality cartridge and they are lovely to shoot, but they can be expensive.  The Hull Sporting 100 is cheaper and also a fantastic choice if you want to stay with the brand or if you are near a Hull stockist.

My choice is Fiocchi F3, the blue semi dispersible wad.  I can swap from Pro One to F3 without noticing a difference, other than the smell of the burnt powder.

Guest cookoff013

guys,

this topic is a much-of-a-muchness. really it is. pro ones used to be the shell to have, now is outdated ("outdated- eh !") by the much POPULAR fastish cartridges.

now, the names and shells that have been batted about are quite high quality. not to mention slightly different performance than some shells bantered about. 

now, comparing compx21 vs RC 28g isnt a great comparison. talking about smoothness isnt nessasary a help either. i say potato, you say putater. 

there are many lower recoil potions, there are also better performing options.

just buy an equivalent shell from any manufacturer really. if you check the speeds, you`ll notice the slower speeds have less recoil. (pattern tighter too, almost through any choke)

there are softer cartridges out there, "vlr / subsonics" which are low recoil even more (21g load subsonics- handloads.).

maybe go for a club style cartridge in 24g, maybe 9s? club style would be 1250fps or so. great shells.