who Do you use

4 hours ago, countryman said:

I have been with BASC for many years and my membership is up for renewal at £80. Just wondering who you folk use and what you pay for membership. 

Thanks

I am a life member of BASC , but  at  £80 BASC  is worth the  £1.54 a week .

Edited by lancer425
Decimal point

I am with BASC, aside from the insurance cover I enjoy the magazines through the post, the discount offered by some retailers and in NI they running a pest control scheme in conjunction with the farmers union.

£80 seems expensive but they have a local office and are always on hand for advice and with insurance you are paying for something you hope never happens anyway so might as well get a few extras 

1 hour ago, countryman said:

I have been with BASC for many years and my membership is up for renewal at £80. Just wondering who you folk use and what you pay for membership. 

Thanks

I was in this exact same situation last week as my basc insurance also expired! I shopped around & in the end went with national gamekeepers got the exact same insurance cover that I had with basc , four magazines a year two free car stickers, a pin badge and a free pen & it all came in the post within two days of taking the cover out its £45 for the year 

25 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Is that membership valid in NZ? 

Yes as long as i am still a uk resident and only stayed there90 days at a time, i was inssured when i was over there before with just my BASC . 

I have more than had my £500 worth out of BASC this past 35 years, paying £50 a year over ten years was not fun when your mates were paying £20. but its paid now and i saved 25 years of subscriptions which amount to somewhere around £1200 to £1400 so i am fine  with leaving my membership as a donation  if i permanently migrate.

What is it £1600 now if you got the cash buy it its done then, they got the money you have Insurance and all the other benefits for the rest of your life.

1 hour ago, Stephen-H said:

I was in this exact same situation last week as my basc insurance also expired! I shopped around & in the end went with national gamekeepers got the exact same insurance cover that I had with basc , four magazines a year two free car stickers, a pin badge and a free pen & it all came in the post within two days of taking the cover out its £45 for the year 

I am pretty sure NGO insurance is not equivalent to BASC. It's an insurance of last resort (ie claim of anything else first), it does not cover you abroad, it does not provide legal insurance re fac issues etc. 

Do not make my mistake  joined GP as why pay for more when GP will cover me .You only get what you pay for so paid my renewal to  BASC  just as well as they do help  when you needed them.  I called for  there help for my FAC licence so it cost me more in the long run  so save  money and stay with BASC. We all need them now to sort out   Mr C P  

I am with BASC and have been since well before it changed its name to its current title. Despite having a few ups & downs over the last 6 or 7 years, I have never felt the need to go else-where despite the BASC knockers who periodically have a rant on this forum.

We live in troubled times in our chosen sport and I was impressed by the NGO response to Defra and their regular and pragmatic advise throughout the debacle of the revoked licence`s. To show my solidarity, I joined them as a supporter last week. They are welcome to my £45 if they are in the front line of a fight to allow me to do what I enjoy, and to safeguard that right for the younger generation who want to enjoy country sports.

Edited by JJsDad

Firstly WAGBI now BASC....I have had reason over the years to criticise them and have voiced my displeasure directly, when in a position to do so!.....but I am of the opinion they are trying to put right the failings of the past, I sincerely hope so, as shooting needs an effective representative organisation likewise BASC needs the support of shooting, like never before.......Consequently I have no plans to give up on them in the short term.......

Have been a member as far back as WAGBI and yes, I have voiced my impressions a couple of times and they have been acted on.  No organisation is going to be perfect for everyone and if all you want is insurance then go to an insurance company.  With BASC there is a lot of work behind the scenes members rarely see. Their excellent magazine has improved with every edition and full of information.  As said the cost overall on a years shooting is peanuts.

Same as Walker 570 and one or two others , joined W A G B I in 1964 with the G Y W A and have been a full member ever since , going slightly off course , I have often mentioned about B A S C bringing out a badge for members who have stayed with the club for 50 years , I spoke to Peter Glenser about it and at the time he thought it was a good idea and he would get it sorted out , and that was two years ago and still waiting ,  :lol:

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Same as Walker 570 and one or two others , joined W A G B I in 1964 with the G Y W A and have been a full member ever since , going slightly off course , I have often mentioned about B A S C bringing out a badge for members who have stayed with the club for 50 years , I spoke to Peter Glenser about it and at the time he thought it was a good idea and he would get it sorted out , and that was two years ago and still waiting ,  

I wonder if they have membership records going back that far MM? If they haven't perhaps PG didn't want to admit it? 🤔

23 hours ago, wymberley said:

Is that membership valid in NZ? 

The odd decimal point makes a great deal of difference - just twigged.

?????????

Not entirely sure, worth a chat with them, but their Insurance (certainly mine with BASC) is valid in France!

I am by no means the biggest fan of the BASC and I have had issues with some there historically, but I have been a member longer than I can remember and consider them the least bad!

:good:

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I wonder if they have membership records going back that far MM? If they haven't perhaps PG didn't want to admit it? 🤔

You might well be right panoma 1 , although I dare say at club level they would have records of all members since they were affiliated with first W A G B I and then B A S C .

My local club was formed in  1955 and still have got a few founder members , not me as I would had been 8 years old , but I have still got my first two membership cards when I joined in 1964 and most of the other ones including this years which I am paid up to date .