Pigeons on Soya Beans

JJsDad

Nothing upsets a farmer more than seeing a cash crop getting a hammering from pigeon and his profits draining away. So it was a pretty cheesed off farmer who rang my shooting buddy to see if we could turn out over the weekend. His beans are just showing and he had two distinct area`s the size of half a football field that had been eaten down to the bare stalk.

He was trying all the normal deterents, 4 gas guns, 3 kite`s and a number of plastic sacks on sticks, on a 40 odd acre field. He had also been driving a 14 mile round trip twice a day to scare them off and from the damage we saw, it was evident the moment he left, they were back. Time that he could ill afford.

He described the anticipated flight line and a couple of suitable spots to set up. Could we help ?   Well OK, if we must !!!!!!!

We got set up about 2-00 pm, having scared off about a dozen or so when we arrived. All fairly slow till about 5-15 albeit we had a couple of longish range shots to scare high passing birds. One of these must have been to close as some feathers came drifting down !!  Must try harder to shoot behind !

For about an hour and a half after 5-15 we had some steady shooting, however the wind had obviously changed the flight line as they came in high over my left shoulder and could obviously see down into the hide because the slightest movement spooked them. To late in the day  to move, so it was a case of head well down and remain still until they passed to a position in front of us.

Impressed with the hypa-flaps that I had bought the week before the ban came in. Spent an hour or so on them while things were up in the air waiting for the new licence. Fixed the covers with copydex rather than staples and painted the necks with white matt. Who ever painted these in China has evidently never seen a British pigeon.

We had a light breeze and after a bit of playing around with the wings they worked a treat on the bouncer poles and certainly added a bit of movement to the pattern. However, we were disappointed to find that they didnt deter the birds as GL31 said they would !!!  A note perhaps to Ms Spain of Natural England; your advice is `carp`.

Not a red letter day, but we picked up 32 and lost one that dropped the other side of a main road. Out again during the week, so we will see if a different position for the hides will improve the score.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Well done for getting out and reporting.

And not a Natural England rep or a Police Officer in sight. Albeit we had the evidence plus the deterrents for all to see and our `model` Pigeon as advised by the licence !!😂 The only thing we lacked was the pigeon `alarm-call`, tried to get one at several local gun-shops but apparently everyone is waiting stocks to come in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Strange that, must be a popular device.

Edited by JJsDad

dont surprise me,some time back a rape field i was shooting had 5 gas guns,when one went off up they got landed elswhere when that went off they just moved again,to other part carried on like that all the time.it was like amerry go round.

Well I have only witnessed it twice where pigeons did not take to the trees or leave the field when the gas gun went off, admittedly if it’s a very big field with one maybe two gas guns then yes they get used to it and will lift and drop back in if hungry enough, never leave the gas guns on when I am on a field, unless again it’s a very big field.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well I have only witnessed it twice where pigeons did not take to the trees or leave the field when the gas gun went off, admittedly if it’s a very big field with one maybe two gas guns then yes they get used to it and will lift and drop back in if hungry enough, never leave the gas guns on when I am on a field, unless again it’s a very big field.

We tried it and it worked, the worst thing you can do is turn the gas guns off and forget to turn them back on again!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

On most fields pigeons will always prefer a particular spot to feed, usually near trees but not always, now you can bet your life the farmer as spotted the same and puts the gas gun where the pigeons want, the other reason for turning it off is, you can guarantee if you leave it on it will go off just as some pigeons are approaching, having said that it can help if the field is big.

The other thing that makes a difference on how effective they are, is the tone settings of the report from the gas gun.

Forgetting to turn it back on is a possibility, tie a knot in your hankie. :)

4 hours ago, old'un said:

it does surprise me that 4 gas guns plus the other things did not move them off the field

I watched a small party of around 10 or 12 that had landed 400 yrds or so away from me, that were feeding within approx 50 to 60 yrds of a gas gun that we had left turned on. When it went off, they lifted about 20 feet and glided off to land 50 yrds away. I think they fairly quickly get used to gas guns and rope bangers, they may be startled by the report but it doesnt necessarily drive them off the field if they are intent on feeding.

I have had the odd red-letter day on peas and OSR in the past, where even shooting failed to stop them coming in on an almost suicidal manner.

Edited by JJsDad

On 29 May 2019 at 11:56, old'un said:

On most fields pigeons will always prefer a particular spot to feed, usually near trees but not always, now you can bet your life the farmer as spotted the same and puts the gas gun where the pigeons want, the other reason for turning it off is, you can guarantee if you leave it on it will go off just as some pigeons are approaching, having said that it can help if the field is big.

The other thing that makes a difference on how effective they are, is the tone settings of the report from the gas gun.

Forgetting to turn it back on is a possibility, tie a knot in your hankie. :)

Yes but you get home and wonder why you have a knot in your hankie!!!!!