Gas BBQs

treetree

Hi, 

I know that real men use charcoal bbqs and all that, but I'm looking to get a gas bbq. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for one? I'm not looking to spend the kind of silly money for Webers and other brands, more like £100 argos type. Only for me, wife and small children. 

Thanks for any advice 

I got sick of cheap charcoal versions that took ages to get going, lacked the control of a gas version, that invariably meant jet black  burgers and to cap it all the bottom rusted out after 2 years use. So 4 years ago we bought a double burner gas version with a hood from B&Q, cant recall the exact price but it was around £120 to £130. Its called a `Newbury` but the only makers details say made by TPA, whoever they are. In appearance its very similar to the current B&Q version below. Other than the non-stick coating wearing off the grill plates due to over enthusiastic use of a pot scourer its worked a treat. It came with a cover which is a must unless you are going to put it away each time after use, to avoid an overnight down pour.

I swear by it, best £120 we spent and we use it a lot through the summer. Lasts ages on a container of gas and even the wife is now prepared to eat my culinary delights rather than feeding the dogs under the table with the black bits !   

Korab 4 Burner Black & Grey Gas Barbecue

£117

6 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

I got sick of cheap charcoal versions that took ages to get going, lacked the control of a gas version, that invariably meant jet black  burgers and to cap it all the bottom rusted out after 2 years use. So 4 years ago we bought a double burner gas version with a hood from B&Q, cant recall the exact price but it was around £120 to £130. Its called a `Newbury` but the only makers details say made by TPA, whoever they are. In appearance its very similar to the current B&Q version below. Other than the non-stick coating wearing off the grill plates due to over enthusiastic use of a pot scourer its worked a treat. It came with a cover which is a must unless you are going to put it away each time after use, to avoid an overnight down pour.

I swear by it, best £120 we spent and we use it a lot through the summer. Lasts ages on a container of gas and even the wife is now prepared to eat my culinary delights rather than feeding the dogs under the table with the black bits !   

Korab 4 Burner Black & Grey Gas Barbecue

£117

Is that a bit like cooking on the hob? :good:

24 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

I got sick of cheap charcoal versions that took ages to get going, lacked the control of a gas version, that invariably meant jet black  burgers and to cap it all the bottom rusted out after 2 years use.

We bought a couple of cheap barbies before getting a ss one, this is just about bomb proof. Getting a charcoal bbq going needs a chimney starter and they are excellent and you can get cheaper versions than the weber, but weber is good. We have just bought barrel style bbq that has a larger capacity and the ability to lift the charcoal up or down to suit the food or how hot the coals are and it also has a door to add woodchips to smoke the food too £79 @  ASDA (but has gone up to £99) however it will have to be covered as it isn`t ss.

I probably have 7 BBQ's at home, for all sorts of jobs and the gas Barbie has its place - It's very controllable on a low heat, comes up to temperature in minutes and with a smoke box (or a pierced foil wrap), you can get all the carcinogenic smokey goodness you desire.

Fancy a couple of quick steaks in the garden - Gas is ideal. Do you want to keep the food you've cooked on charcoal warm, the top shelf on a gas BBQ is ideal.

Wouldn't want to cook on one full time, but it does make life a little simpler sometimes.