DORSET

scutt

Wor lass wont's to go to Dorset for a few days maybe a week As we are traveling from Northumberland  I would like a bit of info such as attractions places to stay or avoid etc.  from members who know the area  .(she thinks we might bump into Poldark )

CHEERS.

41 minutes ago, scutt said:

Wor lass wont's to go to Dorset for a few days maybe a week As we are traveling from Northumberland  I would like a bit of info such as attractions places to stay or avoid etc.  from members who know the area  .(she thinks we might bump into Poldark )

CHEERS.

A chance of bumping into Ann Widdecombe is she's still there but the lass is two counties away for Poldark. While she's looking, Sportarm of Dorchester is worth a casual glance.

Something a bit different. Visit Shaftesbury and find Gold Hill - you'll know why when you see it.

Old wardor Castle, lovely place. 

Lyme Regis. 

Tank museum (near Wareham) and fleet air museum in yeovil. 

Stour head Gardens (wilts but about 3 miles outside Dorset) 

Builders were on gold Hill, won't look the same atm sorry

Arne reserve, might see some glow Worms but a nice place anyway. 

Durdle door

Ill keep thinking 

8 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Old wardor Castle, lovely place. 

Lyme Regis. 

Tank museum (near Wareham) and fleet air museum in yeovil. 

Stour head Gardens (wilts but about 3 miles outside Dorset) 

Builders were on gold Hill, won't look the same atm sorry

Arne reserve, might see some glow Worms but a nice place anyway. 

Durdle door

Ill keep thinking 

Damned builders get everywhere - seem to be all over Devon at the moment. What I would say, it doesn't really matter where you go, just relax and have a wander , a beautiful county. One tip though, do not even think about parking where you shouldn't in Lyme Regis.

Steam Railway Swanage to Corfe. Visit Corfe Castle, Studlands Bay, White Mill at Sturminster Marshall, Kingston Lacy country house at Wimborne Minster. Lots to see and do. One tip, if you take out National Trust membership it will save you loads of dosh visiting these NT sites in Drset.

As the above, plus there is also the Jurassic Coast and if you're at the eastern end you could also visit the New Forest and I like getting the chain ferry from Sandbanks back to Studland. There is also Durlston Country Park at Swanage.

Portland Open Air Market, every Tuesday.

Bridport street market, Wednesday and Saturday. Nice town with plenty of places to eat.

Axminster, home of river cottage restaurant, nice little town and you can top-up your outdoor gear at Mole Avon Country Stores, and something to eat at one of the local eateries.

Charmouth Beach, fossil hunting.

Lyme Regis, lovely harbour town, 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' was filmed in Lyme Regis.

West Bay, nice harbour with fishing trips, small market with antiques barn, plenty of places to eat.

Depending on where you are stopping most of the beaches along that coast line are pebble, if you want a sandy beach you will have to go east to Weymouth, but it can get very busy, or further east you have Bournemouth, Swanage and Studland if you go to Swanage, Corfe Castle is worth a visit.

Edited by old'un

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:33, scutt said:

Wor lass wont's to go to Dorset  ..... she thinks we might bump into Poldark

If she thinks it would be exciting to meet Poldark, you really should take her to see the Cerne Abbas giant.

Lulworth Cove is beautiful when un-crowded, but don't even think about going on a Bank Holiday.    Maiden Castle is great for a pleasant stroll (though I was surprised to find a chap there one day in full Highland dress, playing his bagpipes very loudly).    Strange place names, such as the ones mentioned in Betjeman's poem (Rime Intrinsica, Fontmell Magna, Sturminster Newton and Melbury Bubb).  Tolpuddle, if you are interested in trade union history.   Lots of locations mentioned in the books of Thomas Hardy, not to be confused with Vice-Admiral ("Kiss me") Hardy who has a memorial tower not far from Dorchester.  

18 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

If she thinks it would be exciting to meet Poldark, you really should take her to see the Cerne Abbas giant.

Lulworth Cove is beautiful when un-crowded, but don't even think about going on a Bank Holiday.    Maiden Castle is great for a pleasant stroll (though I was surprised to find a chap there one day in full Highland dress, playing his bagpipes very loudly).    Strange place names, such as the ones mentioned in Betjeman's poem (Rime Intrinsica, Fontmell Magna, Sturminster Newton and Melbury Bubb).  Tolpuddle, if you are interested in trade union history.   Lots of locations mentioned in the books of Thomas Hardy, not to be confused with Vice-Admiral ("Kiss me") Hardy who has a memorial tower not far from Dorchester.  

:lol: