Jump to content

The one that got away.


lancer425
 Share

Recommended Posts

NO not the Redhead from Cambridge. :lol: The gun you never should have sold.

We all have one or two over the years we wish we still had and should have never parted company with, it does not have to be special just special to you thats all.

Thinking long and hard , My choice is a early 80s Remington 3200 i had for a bout three years, i did a lot of shooting with this gun and it fitted me perfectly , one day i had an offer for it at a clay ground in Lincolnshire , the money was there  i had other guns at my disposal at home so i let it go there and then, and even on the drive home i remember feeling that nagging regret " What have i done. "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A beautiful 1900’s Derby Rosson bought for £20 with scrap barrels in 1969, resleeved by Benjamin Wild for £40. I used it for 19 seasons until in 1989 a man thought it was so beautiful he had to have it at any price. I told him it was not for sale, but he began by offering lotsa money, £300. He kept pestering and increasing his offer. When he got to £650 I relented and let him have it. Six months later I heard he had sold it because he couldn’t shoot with it. A fool and his money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rigby_Mauser in 303 British. Superb sporting rifle, fitted like a London best shot gun, just point and shoot. When I purchased it, I was told it had been used for shooting Lions in Africa.

2 years after selling it,  I was still getting enquiries from A and S as to where it was, even though it had been sold (and notified) to a RFD.

Still miss that rifle and my Browning Hi power pistol. Happy days if we just knew it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, London Best said:

A beautiful 1900’s Derby Rosson bought for £20 with scrap barrels in 1969, resleeved by Benjamin Wild for £40. I used it for 19 seasons until in 1989 a man thought it was so beautiful he had to have it at any price. I told him it was not for sale, but he began by offering lotsa money, £300. He kept pestering and increasing his offer. When he got to £650 I relented and let him have it. Six months later I heard he had sold it because he couldn’t shoot with it. A fool and his money.

Sadly, I can relate to this. I've wracked my brain trying to answer the question, but am unable to do so. If on the other hand, I was asked what gun(s) I should never have bought in the first place - just name one, I've probably got it covered! For openers, there's the special order 687EELL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sadly, I can relate to this. I've wracked my brain trying to answer the question, but am unable to do so. If on the other hand, I was asked what gun(s) I should never have bought in the first place - just name one, I've probably got it covered! For openers, there's the special order 687EELL.

That sounds lovely. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blaser LRS2 in 6.5x55 topped off with a Schmidt and Bender tactical scope. Used only for target rifle at Bisley and was (is) the best target rifle I have ever owned. Traded it for an Olympic Arms AR15 only because I wanted it but it was a poor choice compared to the Blaser. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miroku mk38 sporterised trap 32".

Nothing special, not new to me and she had seen some action. But for some reason, fitted me like a glove and instantly improved my scores on clays by 20%. Sold because I needed the money probably for less than it was worth. Never come close to that feeling with a gun before or since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Rigby_Mauser in 303 British. Superb sporting rifle, fitted like a London best shot gun, just point and shoot. When I purchased it, I was told it had been used for shooting Lions in Africa.

2 years after selling it,  I was still getting enquiries from A and S as to where it was, even though it had been sold (and notified) to a RFD.

Still miss that rifle and my Browning Hi power pistol. Happy days if we just knew it.

Ah, now then. If we’re including handguns, then my .38 S&W New Model Departure. Complete with its original leather holster, and dated 1902, it was bought by a Welsh Subaltern to take into the trenches as his personal sidearm. It was handed into York Guns ( when it was a proper gunshop ) by his widow, who had found it in a drawer after he died, which is where I bought it.  

Edited by Scully
Forgot a bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ah, now then. If we’re including handguns, then my .38 S&W New Model Departure. Complete with its original leather holster, and dated 1902, it was bought by a Welsh Subaltern to take into the trenches as his personal sidearm. It was handed into York Guns ( when it was a proper gunshop ) which is where I bought it.  

Now that's a bit of history.

Only a tiny bit jealous..... Haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes, it was. It didn’t ‘get away’ though, it was taken away. Am I still angry? Absolutely. 

I don't blame you. 

Would love to have been able to take up target shooting with handguns. 

Think maybe they should look at the gun laws in AUS. 

Edited by Farmboy91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

686 sporter multi choke  doubled woodcock with that gun and it fitted like a glove, God I miss that gun. Had to sell it to pay the rent (£150). Went to a friend he had 30 years of good use from it. I am still searching for another that comes close to that one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should have spent money on restoring the locks on the old Italian San Marco Hammergun I enjoyed so much & shot so well with, rather than trading it in part exchange.

Many happy memories with that gun.  I bought another more recently and didn't get on with it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, arjimlad said:

I should have spent money on restoring the locks on the old Italian San Marco Hammergun I enjoyed so much & shot so well with, rather than trading it in part exchange.

Many happy memories with that gun.  I bought another more recently and didn't get on with it at all.

Love the San marco! 

1559240961176.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...