Skeet shooting

Lloyd90

Just wondering if you use a sporter shotgun for skeet? 

I am going to shoot Mendip on Sunday with a friend who hasn’t shot before, we will likely do a round of 50 on the sporting clay layout but I wanted to have a go on their skeet course. 

Ive never shot skeet before and wondered if the normal gun used is a sporter? I have seen some notes regarding a “skeet gun” but wondered if this was just a sporter with very open chokes 🤷‍♂️

Probably going to stick in cylinder and skeet or cylinder/cylinder. 

Some folk parp on about skeet guns with short barrels for very fast movement, etc.

Truth is skeet shot well has hardly any barrel movement and even a big heavy and  steady trap gun will do just dandy if your technique and timing is sound.

If you feel so inclined open your chokes and shoot cheap fibres for wide patterns, chippy breaks and an extra target, or keep it tight for epic balls of pooder and grin like a dafty.

Unless your me who is utterly honking at skeet because it is the most brain numbing thing in the entire world, well maybe second to DTL 😈 

Olympic skeet is fun, especially peg 8.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Some folk parp on about skeet guns with short barrels for very fast movement, etc.

Truth is skeet shot well has hardly any barrel movement and even a big heavy and  steady trap gun will do just dandy if your technique and timing is sound.

If you feel so inclined open your chokes and shoot cheap fibres for wide patterns, chippy breaks and an extra target, or keep it tight for epic balls of pooder and grin like a dafty.

Unless your me who is utterly honking at skeet because it is the most brain numbing thing in the entire world, well maybe second to DTL 😈 

thats another way of admitting its difficult,, stations 3,4,5 ,especially.

18 minutes ago, grrclark said:

This ground is their carts only, cheap fibre ones. 

Will throw in open chokes and have a punt :) 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

This ground is their carts only, cheap fibre ones. 

Will throw in open chokes and have a punt :) 

That’s the best thing to do.  Despite my cheeky post ping pong is fun and not at all bad to practice to develop smooth and steady gun handling.

Skeet is all about hold points and steady technique.

Have a play at trap too, it makes you pull the trigger and not try to ride targets, it also makes you keep your face on the stock.

Once you have fannied about at that for a while along with a bit of sporting then you’ll try fitasc sporting and discover that is where all the fun is at.

22 minutes ago, grrclark said:

That’s the best thing to do.  Despite my cheeky post ping pong is fun and not at all bad to practice to develop smooth and steady gun handling.

Skeet is all about hold points and steady technique.

Have a play at trap too, it makes you pull the trigger and not try to ride targets, it also makes you keep your face on the stock.

Once you have fannied about at that for a while along with a bit of sporting then you’ll try fitasc sporting and discover that is where all the fun is at.

The thing stopping me trying them all is not having a clue what I’m doing 😣😂 

Atleast sporting clays I know just press the button and try to shoot the clay! 

50 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The thing stopping me trying them all is not having a clue what I’m doing 😣😂 

Atleast sporting clays I know just press the button and try to shoot the clay! 

That works for every other discipline too, see the doo, shoot the doo!

The only way to learn is to do.  Get wired in and enjoy yourself!

when i practice ,i go to the so called bogey stations ,to me are 3.4.5,,do 50 on these ,then will have a round ,then miss 1 high ,,practice does not help me,,

😥  and i shoot skeet every week,,

Edited by dabbers

4 minutes ago, dabbers said:

when i practice ,i go to the so called bogey stations ,to me are 3.4.5,,do 50 on these ,then will have a round ,then miss 1 high ,,practice does not help me,,

😥  and i shoot skeet every week,,

Then perhaps you need to seek out someone who can help you with the mental side of your shooting, As if you are shooting every week and the problem recurs you may need assistance.

1 minute ago, Robertt said:

I shoot Skeet for practice, gun down.

Did 17 yesterday with 20g S x S, 1/2 & 1/2.

Struggled on low tower with a strong head wind making them very dippy.

I feel it does sharpen me up and bring home the importance of a consistant mount.

That is exactly what skeet was created for, to teach people to shoot live quarry from multiple angles!

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Skeet and tarp are snooze snooze snooze to me.

Even the all-round comps don't appeal.

Helice looks a little better as they fly about a bit.

You are quite correct, but as Graham said, FITASC is what you should be aiming to shoot!

The only opportunity we have to shoot skeet is a visit to Westlands, which we do now and then. I really enjoy it and have shot it with my 3200 Trap ( full and full ) and my Perazzi choked at 3/8 and half. I haven't straighted it yet with either, but it's fun trying. As others have said, it's very satisfying turning any clays into dust with a full choke. 🙂

One of the lads up there has said he'll show us how to shoot FITASC, which I'm looking forward to. 

Where I practice there are several sporting layouts.

I only shoot the stands, that sort of represent some sort of live situation that would benifit me.

The one's I ignore represent nothing and would be more akin to trick shooting at an old wild west show.

1 hour ago, Robertt said:

Where I practice there are several sporting layouts.

I only shoot the stands, that sort of represent some sort of live situation that would benifit me.

The one's I ignore represent nothing and would be more akin to trick shooting at an old wild west show.

Good post.

My pet hate on clay grounds is “loopers”.   W*F?

Edited by London Best

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You are quite correct, but as Graham said, FITASC is what you should be aiming to shoot!

I love FITASC it's just very expensive and usually in mid winter.

Scully the targets and how it's shot is much more like live qaurry than English Sporting is. Mount farm at wooly edge has a winter series that is good to shoot. Myocal club has held the north and county FITASC championships.

Not too far for you to travel scully.

Edited by figgy