The War

madmax666

Is it only me who is fed up with remembering the war...75th D day landings shortly.  I am over 60yrs old I have lived the 2 world wars through television and war films all this time .  My father served in WW2 through Africa and Italy and my grandfather WW1 in France  they were quite happy to forget what they did and saw ...is it me...when is enough enough the 200th anniversary .

MM.

Edited by madmax666

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

Is it only me who is fed up with remembering the war...75th D day landings shortly.  I am over 60yrs old I have lived the 2 world wars through television and war films all this time .  My father served in WW2 through Africa and Italy and my grandfather WW1 in France  they were quite happy to forget what they did and saw ...is it me...when is enough enough the 200th anniversary .

MM.

Yep, its only you! It's not remembering the war, it's remembering those that died to give us the freedom we currently have!

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Yep, its only you! It's not remembering the war, it's remembering those that died to give us the freedom we currently have!

I'll go with this☝☝ 

My kids will grow up knowing there was a big war a long time ago, and a lot of people died so we can live how we do now.

33 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

My father served in WW2 through Africa and Italy and my grandfather WW1

As they evidently survived the carnage, I suspect while you view is a minority one; you may feel differently if you had lost one or both, as many many families did.

28 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I'm happy to not be speaking German and thankful for the millions who sacrificed their life's. 

A couple of days to remember isn't asking a lot, they aren't actually asking you to do anything. 

👍

1 hour ago, madmax666 said:

MM.

43 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

14 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

I have spoken to colleagues at work about this, some feel the same as me and some don't.  I think Remembrance Sunday is enough once a year.

MM

Yes it is ONLY YOU!

Thank heavens we had enough gumption to stand up to the Axis Pawers!

Sorry man, I feel people need reminding. God knows there's enough loonies out there ready to start another war at the drop of a hat. Weapons are still big business and money can push idiots to do silly things. Nope, each generation needs to be shown the horrors and honour the heroes and brave men. Yep, lest we forget.

I read this before anyone had commented and did think, oh dear, can of worms. 

I think a little bit more time should be spent right from school age educating children on what was sacrificed by so many for a free future. 

Honestly, don't take this the wrong way but that's the sort of view I would expect to come from one of the snowflake generation. 

Edited by Farmboy91

I think war is a horrible thing to watch with old war footage we saw what happened, and what my father told me about the things he had to see and endure didnt sit right with me.  Yes it had to be done yes they were all brave people and some never returned which is a shame, but I think once a year for remembering is enough other wise it get too much.

MM

MM.

While i breath i will remember, and my Son who is In the Army will as well, as will all my family.

remember 3.jpg

MM.

I understand where you’re coming from and I think your post has been unkindly misinterpreted and perhaps worded unsympathetically.

Your generation, or mine, don’t need reminding hence it seems OTT, but those younger do and for that reason the more reminders the better.

6 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

I think war is a horrible thing to watch with old war footage we saw what happened, and what my father told me about the things he had to see and endure didnt sit right with me.  Yes it had to be done yes they were all brave people and some never returned which is a shame, but I think once a year for remembering is enough other wise it get too much.

MM

I’ll have to disagree. I personally think there should be more reminders. I don’t think people realise how close the allies were to losing the war and what repercussions there would have been. Life as we know it simply wouldn’t exist.

My great-grandfather was killed at the Somme. His son (my grandad) served 23 years in the 17/21st and survved WW2. My other grandad served in North Africa, where he was wounded, but survived.

My stepson had 3 comrades killed in Afghanistan.

So, yeah, it's just you.