The War

madmax666

Those who died deserve never to be forgotten. Those who survived after giving up some five years of their lives fighting a savage war in attrotious conditions had to live the rest of their days with memories that could never be forgotten. So no we should never forget. Be it 100 years or 500 years. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's sobering reading the lists of the dead, how many were repeated. Families lost more than one member. Sometimes husbands and sons along with brothers. An awful price to pay.

After watching footage of men going over the top and being machine gunned down and blown to bits . it's no wonder the survivors wouldn't let the lid off their memories and feelings. Seeing the men talking and checking each others kit the the officers leading them, you can see the friend get shot as they glance at them as they go past.  It would not be something I would want to sit and discuss with inquisitive grandchildren. 

There seems to be more film around these last few years of the footage taken by the photography dept than ever before.

The sheer amount of horses and carts was astounding to see in original film, slipping and sliding in all the mud.

Edited by figgy

7 hours ago, bostonmick said:

Those who died deserve never to be forgotten. Those who survived after giving up some five years of their lives fighting a savage war in attrotious conditions had to live the rest of their days with memories that could never be forgotten. So no we should never forget. Be it 100 years or 500 years. 

Agreed definitely Mick.

However the current scenario for most things important seem to be "move on, that was then!"  important events buried, populace calmed, where's the next £?

3 hours ago, henry d said:

Were you remembering, on the 25th October 2015 those who died long ago on that date?

Would that be Agincourt or the Charge of the Light Brigade? A good way of being reminded of such things is this  www.onthisday.com

On 29/05/2019 at 18:56, panoma1 said:

Yep, its only you! It's not remembering the war, it's remembering those that died to give us the freedom we currently have!

Exactly correct

They gave their today for our Tomorrow. Never ever forget that

Try running up this beach under machine gun fire @ low water

Picture 102.jpg

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

54 minutes ago, deeksofdoom said:

Remembrance is a load of horse**** invented by politicians to glorify war. Propaganda so as not to discourage the youth from fighting future wars.

The Americans have taken veteran worship to whole new level.

Oh dear.

Check this out (maybe watch the second clip first)

https://www.normandymemorialtrust.org/shores-of-normandy-single/

The guy was on Radio 2 during the week telling his story. I had to stop the car.

If I can find it on BBC iPlayer I'll post the link.

We should never forget what we owe these people.

Edited by Eyefor

On 29/05/2019 at 18:36, madmax666 said:

Is it only me who is fed up with remembering the war...75th D day landings shortly.  I am over 60yrs old I have lived the 2 world wars through television and war films all this time .  My father served in WW2 through Africa and Italy and my grandfather WW1 in France  they were quite happy to forget what they did and saw ...is it me...when is enough enough the 200th anniversary .

MM.

I think it is just how you are feeling about the WAR, only you know why you feel the way you do, and the reasons could be many and varied . but in the Majority people veterans or otherwise, Want remembrance out of respect for those the suffered and in many cases died for us. the Veterans to remember those who fought alongside them and paid the price  or even those who have subsequently died since the wars. Others far too you want it out of respect and to show any veterans they appreciated what they did for us all.

Every TVradio or Internet device   has a switch you do not have to watch or read if you dont want.

It was quite sad to read the opening post, I see where you are coming from, but cannot understand it. 

I’m 33 years old I wasn’t allowed into the  army or the raf for medical reasons, but if I had been I’d still be repaying my debt now.  

The men and women that have given their lives in  any uniform in any conflict during or before my lifetime did so to enable the freedoms that I enjoy today. The debt that I owe each and every one of them will be taken to the grave unpaid. A few days a year of official remembrance is a microscopic price to pay considering what these people did for us.  The price that their families paid  and the ultimate price that they paid is unfathomable! I choose to remind myself on a daily basis how’s lucky I am to have the freedoms that I have for the price that they paid. 

i come from a family with a large military presence : -  

grandad -Royal artilery

Dad , auntie and 2 x uncle - Royal corps transport

uncle and cousin - Royal Navy 

brother - Royal Anglian Viking’s 

thankfully I didn’t lose any of them but it showed me as a youngster and up to present why we must never forget!  

Never above 

Never below 

Always side by side! 

Until my dying breath I WILL remember them.

To any of you that read this that have served, or are still serving now

THANKYOU 

Quite right my opening post was too harsh and ###### people off and I apologies for that , I should have worded it differently what I should / meant  to have said was instead of having anniversaries through the year it should be kept to Remembrance Sunday as that is for me  is the biggie which brings many from all over the world together in a time of thought and reverence and for some who are still kicking a time to meet up.  Please remember my grandfather and father fought those wars and I still have their medals left to me. 

What I don't want is war anniversaries becoming too matter of fact an every day thing, as I have said Remembrance Sunday is their perfect day for such like...sorry if people have been offended.

MM

Edited by madmax666

My late father in law was amongst the first through the gates at Belsen and only mentioned it just before he died. He didn't like to talk about it, as he had seen some terrible sights and lost many friends. It makes me angry when I read about Holocaust Deniers, who enjoy the freedom to spout their vitriol, courtesy of braver people than I.

He had a healthy respect for the average German soldier, who he said were much the same as our own troops - fighting for their country, on behalf of leaders who were a bit detached from the front line.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:17, bostonmick said:

Those who died deserve never to be forgotten. Those who survived after giving up some five years of their lives fighting a savage war in attrotious conditions had to live the rest of their days with memories that could never be forgotten. So no we should never forget. Be it 100 years or 500 years

The annual Coldstream ride-out halts near Flodden battlefield, and there are often some very moving speeches giving food for thought about the losses suffered by both countries in that conflict, more than 500 years after the event.   Long may it continue.

49 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

My late father in law was amongst the first through the gates at Belsen and only mentioned it just before he died. He didn't like to talk about it, as he had seen some terrible sights and lost many friends. It makes me angry when I read about Holocaust Deniers, who enjoy the freedom to spout their vitriol, courtesy of braver people than I.

He had a healthy respect for the average German soldier, who he said were much the same as our own troops - fighting for their country, on behalf of leaders who were a bit detached from the front line.

My Uncle Jim was there with VIII Corps, he rarely spoke about it........................ So, Yes it is you! Today, we have members of the Labour Party, who deny this ever happened!

I have just returned from a visit Auschwitz and Birkenau - a very moving and sobering experience.

Slightly off topic, I know but another example of why we need to remember and honour those that have died in previous conflicts so that the following generations do not allow the same thing to happen again.

A pity Corbin, Willsman and co have obviously never been there.

On 29/05/2019 at 20:11, getthegat said:

I feel people need reminding. God knows there's enough loonies out there ready to start another war at the drop of a hat.

^^^^ This.

We must learn the lessons of the past and ensure that we use what we learn to protect the future from the mistakes of the past.  The currents that have led to conflict still lie just below the surface.

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 31/05/2019 at 22:16, deeksofdoom said:

Remembrance is a load of horse**** invented by politicians to glorify war. Propaganda so as not to discourage the youth from fighting future wars.

The Americans have taken veteran worship to whole new level.

This is the most offensive post I have ever read on Pigeon Watch.

The Royal British Legion, of which I am proud to be a member, is, amongst many other things, the Custodians or Remembrance.   That means we are charged by the Government, and out Patron Her Majesty the Queen, to ensure that the people of this country NEVER cease to remember the service of the armed forces.

I spend many hours visiting schools and youth groups to talk to children about the price that has been paid for our freedom.   Just maybe some of them will take the actions necessary to ensure that war becomes a thing of history.

We never, ever, glorify war.   War is a thing that should be avoided and that is what we teach.   However, if diplomacy and tact doesn't work then someone has to step up to the plate.