Landline telephone question.

harrycatcat1

Over the last couple of weeks we have been rung twice in the middle of the night for folks wanting a taxi. The consequences are that it startles you, it takes time to get back to sleep because your furious as they are clearly drunk and you seem to be lethargic next day because sleep has been disturbed. 

What are the options?

Pull the phone plug out, this defeats having one.

Change the number, had this one for 40 years.

Are there any gadgets that could help please?

Tia

Know the problem - first move is to find out if local taxi firm has a similar number.

Do a 1471 to get callers number - do this in the morning, if it is the same number twice some ***** has mis-keyed it in mobile memory so just call block that number.

If you have a fairly modern digital prone there might be a record on it, or if not BT might be able to give call record again if same number call block.

23 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Over the last couple of weeks we have been rung twice in the middle of the night for folks wanting a taxi. The consequences are that it startles you, it takes time to get back to sleep because your furious as they are clearly drunk and you seem to be lethargic next day because sleep has been disturbed. 

What are the options?

Tia

Politely answer the phone take their booking and put the phone down!:P:good:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Politely answer the phone take their booking and put the phone down!:good:

^^This. I used to work at a place that had a similar number to the local pizza delivery and we often got calls intended for the pizza place. My colleague used to take whole orders, ask them if they wanted garlic bread, drinks etc  then tell then it would be about 30 minutes. :lol:

A local,pharmacy had his phone number printed wrong...it was our works number

got some very amusing/interesting/vomit inducing calls as the caller went straight into what was wrong with them, where it was Oozing from etc. On reflection I feel we may have given some non conventional advice as to the best remedy. Usually involved sucking a Fishermans Friend or application of a bread poultice

12 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Know the problem - first move is to find out if local taxi firm has a similar number.

Do a 1471 to get callers number - do this in the morning, if it is the same number twice some ***** has mis-keyed it in mobile memory so just call block that number.

If you have a fairly modern digital prone there might be a record on it, or if not BT might be able to give call record again if same number call block.

They are different numbers, we also get them in the day but thats not so bad.

11 hours ago, Swinton said:

You can ask your provider to intercept your calls so they don’t come through.

not sure how much it cost for the service 

I am investigating sky call minder 👍

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Politely answer the phone take their booking and put the phone down!:good:

We are not in the mood for it at 03.00hrs when we've been asleep for 4 hrs 😁

10 hours ago, Wb123 said:

At the risk of asking a stupid question, why do you have a land line?

Some of our relatives are in their 80,s and have the number and for the broadband.👍

Put yourself on the TPS list which is free, it will take a while to kick in but will stop unsolicited calls.

Regards to the drunken cab customer, best to mute the landlines at night and call the customer back and tell them that they have the wrong number in the morn when sobered up.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Some of our relatives are in their 80,s and have the number and for the broadband.👍

Fair enough. Last time we moved it was going to be £20 a month extra for the line to take phone calls as well as broadband so we got rid of the telephone and use our mobiles. 

1 minute ago, Wb123 said:

Fair enough. Last time we moved it was going to be £20 a month extra for the line to take phone calls as well as broadband so we got rid of the telephone and use our mobiles. 

We pay 27 quid all in from sky, line rental, broadband, caller id and 24/7 calls for up to an hour. Plus I have just entered into a new contract. So I look like keeping it.

I know what you mean about sacking it though 👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

We pay 27 quid all in from sky, line rental, broadband, caller id and 24/7 calls for up to an hour. Plus I have just entered into a new contract. So I look like keeping it.

I know what you mean about sacking it though 👍

Good work getting that, I think we pay about the same but no telephone line (the better half gets the broadband reimbursed by her employer but nothing else so all we bother with is broadband).

54 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Take their phone number, wait a few days, then phone them at 3-4am on midweek. 

Ask them how they like it! 

🤣🤣🤣👍👍thing is though I don't think they do it on purpose they just want a taxi.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

20 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

What are the options?

Tia

Buy a Taxi.🤣