Hardy rod & reel

tharsus

hello, the J L H will be a sought after reel being only 85 made, after James Leighton Hardy, should have a number on the reel, not heard of the  Sapphire rods, is it glass fibre/carbon/cane? and Farlow made a reel called the Sapphire,  Photos may help, you could email Hardy Co at Alnwick reference the rod

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

They belonged to my Dad, I asked Hardy a while ago and they seemed to think it's a old rod and records were destroyed in a fire? Didn't chase it up but it looks modern to me, just can't find anything about it. It's 8'8" . The reel is a ultralite, don't think it's particularly rare.

Cheers

IMG_20190530_082142086.jpg

IMG_20190530_082034028.jpg

IMG_20190530_091454854.jpg

IMG_20190530_091441380.jpg

13 minutes ago, tharsus said:

They belonged to my Dad, I asked Hardy a while ago and they seemed to think it's a old rod and records were destroyed in a fire? Didn't chase it up but it looks modern to me, just can't find anything about it. It's 8'8" . The reel is a ultralite, don't think it's particularly rare.

Cheers

IMG_20190530_082142086.jpg

IMG_20190530_082034028.jpg

IMG_20190530_091454854.jpg

IMG_20190530_091441380.jpg

hello,  a very nice river fishing kit, still a lot of Hardy enthusiasts buying gear although prices have dropped these last few years, cannot afford it myself:rolleyes: but i would suggest at least £80 each, do you not trout fish ?  

1 hour ago, tharsus said:

Been thinking of it, but guns, dogs and family life is taking up too much time!😀

Cheers

hello, well keep some gear just in case, day tickets can be bought in you area, depends if as you say a lot of gear, 1 rod/reel/ trout bag/fly boxes/ landing net/  etc, a way to remember :)

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the J L H will be a sought after reel being only 85 made, after James Leighton Hardy, should have a number on the reel, not heard of the  Sapphire rods, is it glass fibre/carbon/cane? and Farlow made a reel called the Sapphire,  Photos may help, you could email Hardy Co at Alnwick reference the rod

I have a JLH 5wt reel and spare spool but it is NOT numbered, apart from a serial number on the reel seat.  They did do a 'Commemorative' model of some 87 reels and THEY were numbered though.

Edited by Westley

11 hours ago, Westley said:

I have a JLH 5wt reel and spare spool but it is NOT numbered, apart from a serial number on the reel seat.  They did do a 'Commemorative' model of some 87 reels and THEY were numbered though.

hello, yes that was the one i mentioned, to a trout fisher who like to use  Hardy gear the rod and reel you showed are still worth a tidy sum, more in the USA

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes that was the one i mentioned, to a trout fisher who like to use  Hardy gear the rod and reel you showed are still worth a tidy sum, more in the USA

I also have 3 Ultralite rods that hardly get used nowadays. I sold a numbered 'Gold Sovereign' reel a few years ago, never been used, I wish I still had it  !