Using Fox skin

PPP

Back in the 60s 70s and early 80s I skinned hundreds. Initially we had to dry the skins for shipping but then that changed and we could roll and freeze them.  In late 70s and early 80s they made between £20 to £25 and my workshop, garage and coalshed at my police house was lined with them pinned out to dry.

Buy a K Tan kit if you can still get it. Not a big deal. The tail bone needs a bit of care as does splitting the ears(removing the inner layer) not necessary unless you intend mounting the head with the rug.     You get the odd stinky one, just don't do the job in your best clothes ..a pair of white paper overalls would be sensible anyway.

I agree with you it is a traversty that a natural resource such as a fox skin is wasted.  These stupid women that wear plastic man made fur should take a closer look at what they are wearing.

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Twenty years since I did one, last one was a black fox that I did for a friend. I read about the money they made in the 70s but worthless when I got around to skinning one. 

Same. My farmer mate on the preselis made more in the evenings than he did in the day. 

Ive a lovely (not) polecat scarf some where with the head still on. Its 2 sown together. I get it out to scare the kids, best charity shop buy I've had for years

This reminds me of the time that my mate and I decided to try and skin a Fox that I recently shot. We saw a video demo' from America, where the guy made a small slit under the skin of a Coyote's leg, and then inserted an airline (not Thomas Cook) and gradually pumped air into the carcass. This helped loosen the fur to enable it to be removed easily. We made the slit, inserted the hose and then opened the air valve, only to see loads of blood, guts and faeces eminating from said carcass. The blood/guts from the bullet entry wound, the faeces from 'you know where'. :)