BROADCASTING Help

Hi All.

I'm a member of a DIY shoot and love the Keepering side of things! 

We plant blocks of Maize as cover but due to being quite exposed and high up this doesn't always succeed.

The Maize has now been drilled. 

I would like to Broadcast something (Not sure what) over the top to grow with /through the Maize. 

So my question is...... What Seed would you recommend to Broadcast? 

And also the best, cheapest, easiest place to obtain from please :) 

Cheers All! 

Sow millet between rows of maize when maize is up. This is brilliant for the birds but you have to get your rake out and do by hand. Miss a row every two. Millet seed is cheap and easy to grow. 

For a windbreak use kale but make sure it’s treated for Flea-beetle. 

put a couple of drill lines of millet all around the edge......

if it is thicker at the ends and the edges it will encourage the birds to jump and fly rather than run out and fly as you push thro........

Edited by ditchman

this is the problem, would need to be Hand Broadcast as Maize already in and we have had to Fence the gamecrop areas to save sheep and cattle eating the lot etc. so access is a bit restricted with tractor etc. 

Wondered if i could just scatter seed infront and drag a rake behind me. 

I understand this isn't the way to get the most out of the seed, but anything to aid the Maize will help

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

this is the problem, would need to be Hand Broadcast as Maize already in and we have had to Fence the gamecrop areas to save sheep and cattle eating the lot etc. so access is a bit restricted with tractor etc. 

I understand this isn't the way to get the most out of the seed, but anything to aid the Maize will help

Any brassica seed is best broadcasted. The combines have broadcast sowers on them when they combined and sow the rape at the same time then they just roll in. 

3 hours ago, Sprucey said:

You will have no problem hand sowing small seed as it will fall into the cracks, we found our mixed cover crop germinated better done by hand rather than drilled 

You could broadcast utopia around the outside edge of the plot and rake it in, would act as a wind break and cut down the view birds have of guns etc,

If you have long plots you could also do a couple of breeds across cover to stop so much run through and large flushes of birds, 

It is best to stick to the outsides as from experience broadcasting other seeds to compete, just creates competition and 2 weak plants.

On 30/05/2019 at 10:43, ditchman said:

put a couple of drill lines of millet all around the edge......

if it is thicker at the ends and the edges it will encourage the birds to jump and fly rather than run out and fly as you push thro........

21 hours ago, Konnie said:

You could broadcast utopia around the outside edge of the plot and rake it in, would act as a wind break and cut down the view birds have of guns etc,

If you have long plots you could also do a couple of breeds across cover to stop so much run through and large flushes of birds, 

It is best to stick to the outsides as from experience broadcasting other seeds to compete, just creates competition and 2 weak plants.

A couple of good ideas.  IF your plot is permanent then think about a semi permanent mix to make a belt around the outside which will stay all year and you can put a couple of feeders there in the off season. Kings will advise on that idea. If you have the room then three or four good paces wide.

On 03/06/2019 at 09:42, Sprucey said:

Well the deed its done.

Broadcast around the margins and put a couple of strips through too... 

So just got to wait and see now. 

Will post some pictures if it comes good etc 

What did you go for? Just scattered by hand? Following with interest 👍