Bird pest control in England – latest update

Thanks David. Appreciated.

Working on the principle that if we dont, the farmer will get someone who will, two of us were out Monday after pigeon that had been bashing a bean field; and both of us out again tomorrow.

Our farmer has got and tried all the normal deterents and has flipped through GL31 but he drew the line at dressing as a scarecrow. His views on Packham, Natural England & Defra (and Mr Gove) are unprintable.

Edited by JJsDad

12 hours ago, David BASC said:

Thank you all, I appreciate your comments and support. BASC will keep on fighting your corner, let's hope for a good win!

Apologies for the boxing reference but my lad is a boxer at welterweight!, so I guess I get stuck with some boxing parlance!

David

Makes a change from all the sexual references you usually get on PW! Lol! 😇

It seems reading this that its ok to shoot pigeons if they are damaging a crop and you have tried scaring them off to no avail.is it against the law to bring the deterents in while shooting and can you use a rotary and decoys to guide them to your part of the field. It seems to me that some people think its ok and others are still holding back.

I've applied for an IL to cover corvids at a dairy farm-farmer has used non lethal tactics including a PA system that plays corvid distress sound all day-don't know how this hasn't drove him bonkers,as well as owl decoys, bangers and lastly,some dirty looks.

All in vain. So as of 1000hrs tomorrow, I shall be stepping forth with copy of said IL in one hand and a FAC Benelli 8 shot M2 in the other. Hoping not to sent down for a five stretch or publicly stoned by Natural England.

Wish me luck lads, I'm going in.

f.

2 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

I've applied for an IL to cover corvids at a dairy farm-farmer has used non lethal tactics including a PA system that plays corvid distress sound all day-don't know how this hasn't drove him bonkers,as well as owl decoys, bangers and lastly,some dirty looks.

All in vain. So as of 1000hrs tomorrow, I shall be stepping forth with copy of said IL in one hand and a FAC Benelli 8 shot M2 in the other. Hoping not to sent down for a five stretch or publicly stoned by Natural England.

Wish me luck lads, I'm going in.

f.

When did you apply and when did you get it back?? Im still waiting on my IL for corvid control... 

47 minutes ago, dad said:

It seems reading this that its ok to shoot pigeons if they are damaging a crop and you have tried scaring them off to no avail.is it against the law to bring the deterents in while shooting and can you use a rotary and decoys to guide them to your part of the field. It seems to me that some people think its ok and others are still holding back.

If you read GL31, NE in their wisdom, regard a 'model pigeon with outstretched wings showing the white wing bars'  (their wording, not mine), as a deterrent to scare off pigeons, so on that basis, using decoys and/or rotary is fine, as you have complied with their, albeit misguided, requirements. 

OB