Sore throat

gotgcoalman

Right so Once upon a time 8 weeks ago,

I had a sore throat,it went on for a week  and the wife became weary of me ****ing and moaning about it and  said "phone the Doctors"

So I phoned and the nice lady said " appointment in 2 weeks" so I said no thanks it'll have fixed itself by then.

fast forward 5 or 6 weeks to last week when the  sore throat  was really like swallowing rusty barbed wire.

The wife phones the Dr's and pulls the "i want a telephone consultation with a Dr not an appointment in 2 weeks."

The phone rings within 5 mins ,and after speaking to a Dr a magical space appears to visit him the same afternoon ?

Hmmm  First question was why have you waited this amount of time?

Moral of the story is don't get fobbed off by receptionists who have no medical training and decide (in my case the non emergency sore throat )Could wait for a while before attention was needed from a trained professional.

Anyway Dr referred me to consultant in no time flat and my non emergency  sore throat. guess what?

Pick a letter in between  B and D. 

Had a call which involved "we need a renal function blood test  done a your local practice"  not sure as my head is up my **** at the minute.

So phoned and ................

Peaseway medical centre  at newton aycliffe is closed today for training .

That's not what you want to here......most of the time doctors receptionists are a night mare, I can't be doing with them

oct 2010 I noticed something amiss when having a pee, repeated again in morning

phoned doctors, no appt for weeks. Kicked off big style, got to see a locum

thought it was probably a leaky blood vessel but gave me some anti biotics anyway , just in case,  and come back in 2 weeks. BUT we will get you checked out at Hospital just to be safe 

went back after 2 weeks....all,tests clear "but you are due in Hospital in 3 days so you should still go"

3 days later.......type A grade 2 bladder Cancer...( which later on got a bit more serious )..8 ops , 9 tumours, Chemo etc.  Got the all clear a couple of months ago.

locum Doctor almost certainly saved my life, receptionist could easily have turned it the other way!

keep pestering them and get an appointment asap...remember WE are paying their wages

all the best....I know exactly where your head is AND it's  not a nice place.  Getting your head around the situation is very hard, wife would look at me and I'd "just gone". She could tell when I was having a bad day no matter how much I tried to bluff it.

Our practise has 2 brilliant receptionists, really are the salt of the earth. Down side is there is one who on a good day would still be a vitriolic bitch. Her usual greeting is "YES" my reply is always "NO; I'll speak to that lady, she has some manners".

Goes down a treat, unfortunately it winds the cow up to bully less able patients for the rest of the day. Odd occasion I've demanded to see the practise manager only to be asked why. "So I can put a complaint in about your attitude" is my reply. 

Quietens her down for a little while but then she's off again.

That's bad news Sir. In this day and age I'm certain that you are better off being pro active where your health is concerned, even to a point of doing Medical research yourself. If one centre is closed go to another and never let any complacent pen push fob you off. Read up on your Ailments, treatment and side effects of any Meds likely to be given - for warned and all that - trust me, Doctors do not know everything. Question everything and always aim to be seen by the most senior Consultant, talk to them like you would a best mate and they will remember you above the hundreds of other patients they treat - it can pay you back ten fold. I wish you the very best of luck, be positive, I always believed that if you can worry  yourself into being ill then a positive mental attitude can only help your recovery.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

That's bad news Sir. In this day and age I'm certain that you are better off being pro active where your health is concerned, even to a point of doing Medical research yourself. If one centre is closed go to another and never let any complacent pen push fob you off. Read up on your Ailments, treatment and side effects of any Meds likely to be given - for warned and all that - trust me, Doctors do not know everything. Question everything and always aim to be seen by the most senior Consultant, talk to them like you would a best mate and they will remember you above the hundreds of other patients they treat - it can pay you back ten fold. I wish you the very best of luck, be positive, I always believed that if you can worry  yourself into being ill then a positive mental attitude can only help your recovery.

Yep, my thoughts with you and your family.

Life a bit of a challenge sometimes.