Cleaning windscreen washer system.

Westley

Having recently had a bit of trouble with my washers on a 2013 Honda CRV, it was looking like a trip to the garage to get them to strip out the washer bottle, which is housed under the front offside wing. Before doing that I had tried to flush the bottle out with a hose, but due to a 90 degree bend just below the filler, it made it quite difficult. I managed to get a piece of fish tank plastic tubing in and siphon the  the contents out.  I then dropped in 2 Steradent tablets and added some warm water. I left this for around 3 hours then filled and siphoned the bottle  a couple of times, then tried the washers again. They are now more powerful than they have ever been, job done.  I also use Steradent tablets for cleaning out my thermos flasks, letting them stand overnight then washing out with cold water before use. It is far cheaper than any of the 'flask clean' products too.

7 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Washer bottle on wife's Clio gets a weird black slime in it which then burns out the pump. Changed 3 so far.

never thought of steradent !.....good call!

Before siphoning off the Steradent, I blew down the siphon tube to 'mix up' the bottle contents to help siphon off the gunge. It worked.

Just now, panoma1 said:

Works on yer false teeth too! :whistling:

I wouldn't know about that one, but I suspect it is far less harmful to the paintwork than any other cleaners.  I too was getting black slime in the bottle, BUT that was coming from the pre mixed fluid that I was using.  I now plan to stop pre mixing the washer fluid and flush out the bottle every other month. 

5 hours ago, figgy said:

If you use screen wash in correct dilution it stops the black from happening in first place.

+1 its usually caused by filling up the washers with just plain tap water. Screen wash contains a biological inhibitor, good screen wash that is.  But once its in there its hard to eliminate it

Edited by Vince Green

Can I point out that I was using CLEAR plastic tubing for siphoning and as such,  no liquid entered my mouth.  Having used Steradent tablets for a number of years for flask cleaning without any side effects (other than the odd urge to put something on here  !) I decided to try them in the windscreen bottle. It worked for me and my washers now work better than ever before. 

I don't know about the black stuff, what I have seen is a clear coloured or greenish coloured thick slime which is some sort of algae, even if you kill it off its still going to block the pump. We had to tell my step daughter to stop putting plain water and a squrt of washing up liquid in her washers and start using ready mix.

• 2 years later...