Wasps

JohnfromUK

This year I have so far had 7 or 8 (presumably queens coming out of overwintering hibernation) wasps in my bedroom and bathroom.  This is FAR more than in previous years.  I have also had at least one full sized hornet both this year and last year.  There are two possible reasons;

1. Co incidence - and it is a 'bad' year for wasps after a mild winter
  2. I have had for 2 years now an invasion of literally millions of 'cluster flies' like little fruit flies.  These appear on the outside of the house around the upper walls and soffit in the autumn and some get in and overwinter in the roof space.  In the spring, they emerge (usually around March/April) and some get into the house (around loft hatches and beam/plastered ceiling joins).  This year on advise, I have used a 'contact' insecticide (cypermethrin) where they appear to get through which has largely dealt with the problem inside the house.  I'm told they come back to hibernate again to the same place because they leave a hormone trace which attracts the new generation to a safe overwintering location.  Could the same hormone (or just the presence of the cluster flies) be attracting the wasps and hornets?

55 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Problem turned out to be a massive nest in the loft.

49 minutes ago, Ratmanwan said:

You may of had a nest in the loft last year that you didn't notice

Thanks for replies,

I did some work in the loft in the autumn, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything there then.  I was under the impression they didn't hibernate in the nest?  It is also very early for a nest in this season as the queens usually emerge between early March and late May.  I'm near enough sure 100% of what I have had are the queens that have hibernated over from last year.

There is an interesting article here https://bpca.org.uk/News-and-Blog/Page-4/pestwatch-queen-wasps/199861

which says mild winters are bad for queen wasps

Edited by JohnfromUK

A lot of queens about this year here in east Leicestershire, we have killed a couple of dozen. They like the roof of this old house so we expect to see them each spring.

Re the cluster flies...you have them and you will always have them. We hoover up a couple of large trash bags full in our thrid storey every year, in fact keep a hoover up there just for that job.

Have tried al sorts of sprays including one by a friend who is a Pro Vermin guy.  They still come back.  Apparently they lay their eggs in turf so I do not believe are a health hazard.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

They like the roof of this old house so we expect to see them each spring.

I have just had so many more than usual this year.  This is also an old house - especially the part where my bedroom and bathroom are!

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Re the cluster flies...you have them and you will always have them.

Yes, I have heard that; the stuff I have is sprayed on where they get in the windows and come round the hatch from the loft - and kills them - so reducing the number flying around inside, but I think the vast majority go straight out from the roofspace around the eaves.  I get HUGE swarms of them on the outside of the soffit in early autumn evenings.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I do not believe are a health hazard.

I think that is also true.

Cluster flies come back most years following the pheromones of last year's flies. They hibernate in any void including sash windows and velux frames. 

It may just be a coincidence that so many Queens have hibernated in your loft over winter, but in the autumn when queen's leave a nest they quite often just crawl further into the loft to sleep until spring. 

3 minutes ago, Ratmanwan said:

They hibernate in any void including sash windows and velux frames. 

I have many sash windows (11), and two Veluxes as well, so it is a large luxury hotel for them!  The sash pockets are also always used by ladybirds for hibernation.  I'm not sure if ladybirds will eat cluster flies.

I wondered if the pheromones left by the cluster flies also attracted the wasps?

On 01/06/2019 at 11:43, Pigeon Shredder. said:

CP is promoting Wasp's as this years friendly pest in the garden, along with Wood Pigeons.

So don't panic.

Err.......does that mean we have to apply to NE for a GL to swot these suckers now  :stupid:

I had a problem last year so I made a wasp 'gun'.

They were getting in under the fascia boards and into an inaccessible part of the loft. So I got a 12 foot piece of plastic conduit, 'loaded' it with wasp killer powder and used a small compressor (that I lifted upstairs) to blow the powder at the wasps. Leaning out of the bedroom window I coated them with the powder blown at 60psi as they came and went.

For flies, I'am afraid to say, but get rid of any 'new' indoor plants you've been given. Get rid of the lot! I've had that problems pretty much everytime someone comes with a 'present'f of a plant/flower thing with soil, basically they come in with the plant/soil and will stick around forever after that until you get rid of the habitat.

for wasp queens, you need to nuke them from orbit, as everyone else said :-)

I'm not keen on anything sort of flying insect, especially if it stings. 

Not last summer but the one before we were swamped with hornets. At night was the worst as the glow from telly would be enough to draw them indoors. 

We recently brought a bug zapper from amazon for £30 odd. Marvelous thing it is. Made a nice dent in the fly population already. 

Edited by Farmboy91

People say Wasps? whats the point of them? Well without wasps you wouldn't get figs at christmas irrelevant if you do or don't like them, as wasps are the only flying insect that pollinates fig trees. 

Thats your Thursday fascinating fact. Thank you for your cooperation.:good:

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

People say Wasps? whats the point of them? Well without wasps you wouldn't get figs at christmas irrelevant if you do or don't like them, as wasps are the only flying insect that pollinates fig trees. 

Thats your Thursday fascinating fact. Thank you for your cooperation.:good:

Waiting for next Thursday already!:P

4 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Never eaten a fig in my life, don't like the look of them even when they are disguised as cakes still look vile.

They grow readily in the UK against a south wall, but don't ripen well without a sunny hot summer.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:05, Ricko said:

I had a problem last year so I made a wasp 'gun' ......  a 12 foot piece of plastic conduit, 'loaded' it with wasp killer powder and used a small compressor (that I lifted upstairs) to blow the powder at the wasps.

Good idea.   I have been using something along the same lines for the past couple of years, and found it highly effective.    1/4" bore plastic pipe tied onto an 8' bamboo cane (long enough to reach the eaves of our bungalow), connected to one of those little air-duster cans (Poundland), a 5 second blast gets the powder right into the opening where the wasps enter.