PSG curiosity

Datum

Hope this is in the right place, I’m new to the forum..

I’ve lately gotten very curious about trying this PSG business and was thinking about what it would mean buying guns, I have a section 2 license so bear that in mind. Is it better to get a semi auto or a pump?

I figured with a pump there less worry about cycling and less to go wrong but it would be largely useless for anything else whereas I could do clays with an auto if I didn’t take to PSG but I don’t know what’s the norm for PSG and why?

Would it be:

Cheap sec 2 pump?

Decent sec 2 pump that can be converted to sec 1 if required?

Cheap sec 2 auto to try PSG then sell it (are PSG autos different from sport ones?)

Decent sec 2 auto that can also be used for clays (a400?) then trade for sec 1 if required later? 

Or should I just watch more YouTube videos then ask better questions 😮 

There are a few on here into PSG. Have a watch of YouTube videos. 

I was looking at custom Benelli parts and looking online took me to lots of psg customising of guns for the sport.

Opening up loading g ports etc and practicing off hand loading.

Edited by figgy

I've been into psg for a while now and it is my favourite discipline, and if correctly organised very safe (lots of planing going into course layout/angles etc).  I think best way into it is going along to one of the clubs that does psg and having a chat and a look to see how things work, then have a play with your sec 2 (the lots of loading will be good practice!).  If you like it then get a section 1, doesn't really matter which as the scoring is separated into categories - standard semi-auto, standard manual or open (anything goes!) so whatever floats your boat.  You will probably notice most people tend to favour benelli (m2 and supernova).  I really like the supernova, massive loading gate to make loading 4 cartridges at a time easier.

1 hour ago, A-Series said:

I've been into psg for a while now and it is my favourite discipline, and if correctly organised very safe (lots of planing going into course layout/angles etc).  I think best way into it is going along to one of the clubs that does psg and having a chat and a look to see how things work, then have a play with your sec 2 (the lots of loading will be good practice!).  If you like it then get a section 1, doesn't really matter which as the scoring is separated into categories - standard semi-auto, standard manual or open (anything goes!) so whatever floats your boat.  You will probably notice most people tend to favour benelli (m2 and supernova).  I really like the supernova, massive loading gate to make loading 4 cartridges at a time easier.

Cheers for that, the Supernova looks unusually  long or is that just me?

Supernova has a long stroke as it's built for 3.5" cartridges.  You can do mods to it to make it work using a shorter movement. You may find out about it if you search for Redneck Tactical as they designed the mods . I had it done to my Supernova that I used in the World Champs in Hungary 2012 but me being me I still short stroked it sometimes. That gun has gone, but I never ever short stroke my Hatsan 20 bore pump. My now Practical gun is a box fed auto, as I found that advancing years meant loss of dexterity that you need for loading a tube fed gun. Newcomers to the discipline, if you shoot big matches note that pumps shoot against pumps, autos against autos box guns against box guns etc. Only Supernovas win any pump matches. Autos, Benellis Franchis Berettas all in with a shout.

Find a club and have a go, although finding a club can sometimes be a challenge due to waiting lists.

48 minutes ago, Yellowvanman said:

Supernova has a long stroke as it's built for 3.5" cartridges.  You can do mods to it to make it work using a shorter movement. You may find out about it if you search for Redneck Tactical as they designed the mods . I had it done to my Supernova that I used in the World Champs in Hungary 2012 but me being me I still short stroked it sometimes. That gun has gone, but I never ever short stroke my Hatsan 20 bore pump. My now Practical gun is a box fed auto, as I found that advancing years meant loss of dexterity that you need for loading a tube fed gun. Newcomers to the discipline, if you shoot big matches note that pumps shoot against pumps, autos against autos box guns against box guns etc. Only Supernovas win any pump matches. Autos, Benellis Franchis Berettas all in with a shout.

Find a club and have a go, although finding a club can sometimes be a challenge due to waiting lists.

Thanks. Well I have to start somewhere and I’m erring towards buying an auto (2+1) and leaving it stock just to get a feel for PSG then if I take to it I’ll sell/trade/mod as required. I’m quite taken by the M2 but unsure of ideal barrel length, logic says the shortest barrel would be best for fast target acquisition & poking through firing windows etc, or is that wrong?

I find the m2 to be a bit kicky. I'm a lightweight shortass so I find gas operated autos a lot nicer to shoot. When my time came to move away from Remington 11/87 I bought a Beretta Xtrema2, having had a go with one at a match. I saw it as 1 gun for every use. Clays wildfowling pigeons and practical.

I went for 26" but I really don't think it matters a great deal. The more modern version for Practical is the 1301 and there a lot around now. If you have a sec 2 gun and have it unrestricted to s1 then that will reduce its value.

1 hour ago, Yellowvanman said:

I find the m2 to be a bit kicky. I'm a lightweight shortass so I find gas operated autos a lot nicer to shoot. When my time came to move away from Remington 11/87 I bought a Beretta Xtrema2, having had a go with one at a match. I saw it as 1 gun for every use. Clays wildfowling pigeons and practical.

I went for 26" but I really don't think it matters a great deal. The more modern version for Practical is the 1301 and there a lot around now. If you have a sec 2 gun and have it unrestricted to s1 then that will reduce its value.

That’s a very good point about recoil and I’m a beretta fan anyway.. I’ll have a look.. ah wait you’re on about a sec 1 gun though yes? I need a 2+1

Edited by Datum

On 01/06/2019 at 19:18, figgy said:

I wonder where the practical shotgun name comes from? 

It dont look at all practical to me, very tactical and military style.

In the very early days it was called Combat Shotgun, matches were overseen by the Combat Shotgun Society. It changed to Practical upon the CSS merging with the UKPSA which at that time was pistol only.

If I were looking at starting In PSG I would get a 2nd hand 2+1 auto of  a brand that has a good reputation. As you like Beretta I would go with a 391 or 400 series but make sure it has the ability to take an extended mag. Then further down the line sell/trade/derestrict to s.1 or better still keep, and buy a s.1 gun of same make and similar model to keep it company In the cabinet. With Berettas there is a certain amount of parts commonality so you could try different barrel lengths etc.

Don't forget if you go for it the cartridge holder caddy things get pricey at the top end of the game so you need to allow for that in the budget.

34 minutes ago, figgy said:

Benelli do a long mag version with all the bells and whistles for psg. 

A fella I know bought one.

Benelli M2 SP is the one your thinking of. I have one for PSG and would recommend it. Comes ready to run right out of the box. Naturally, like anything, you can 'trick' it further if you want to, but as standard it's hard to been and is very reliable. 

59 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

Benelli M2 SP is the one your thinking of. I have one for PSG and would recommend it. Comes ready to run right out of the box. Naturally, like anything, you can 'trick' it further if you want to, but as standard it's hard to been and is very reliable. 

So far I was thinking of a M2 Comfortech - they seem to be a well regarded gun for the money and I might just still be able to smuggle it into sporting clays... it being black and everything if I stick to the shady bits.. :) 

On 03/06/2019 at 18:38, Datum said:

Hold on.. I’ve just seen the words ‘weather permitting’ on the PSG calendar dates, am I about to find out PSG isn’t done in the rain? 

If your looking at the range/ club that I’m thinking judging by your location then yes, it is weather permitting as although a little gazebo is used to keep the rain off, it is the edge of a farm field and as such can get rather ‘boggy’ with heaven rain.

Its not often called off, but has happened.

If you want more info then PM me.

28 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

If your looking at the range/ club that I’m thinking judging by your location then yes, it is weather permitting as although a little gazebo is used to keep the rain off, it is the edge of a farm field and as such can get rather ‘boggy’ with heaven rain.

Its not often called off, but has happened.

If you want more info then PM me.

Thank you