How to count shot

32 minutes ago, snow white said:

What’s the foreshore got to do with it

There was, in the early days of the lead shot ban introduced in compliance with African Eurasian Waterbird Agreement (AEWA), some uncertainty as to whether plated lead shot would circumvent the lead shot ban for shooting wildfowl in amongst other places, the foreshore....the answer was it didn't, consequently many Wildfowling clubs make even having lead shot (including plated lead shot) cartridges in your possession on club grounds, risks expulsion!

So Nickel plated lead shot would not be classed as steel on the foreshore, or for shooting wildfowl anywhere in England and Wales!

Hence my comment "try arguing that on the foreshore"......

37 minutes ago, snow white said:

But where does he mention foreshore in is question 

Nowhere!........I was responding to your posting that heavily nickel plated lead shot would be classed as steel......I realise you probably meant for reloading purposes.......my response was a light hearted (though accurate) comment that, for practical (and legal) purposes nickel plated lead shot cannot be classed as steel!

Confucius he says.......If anyone has to explain any comment which was originally meant to be amusing.....it will lose any amusing impact it could have had! Lol!........I made that up! Lol!

If it's just the one and you have no reloading scales, then the dinner plate and tweezers for a one off is OK. If it's to become a habit, then a counting tray is very handy. I made 2 with different sized and numbers of holes to suit my needs. Dumping the shot in and giving the tray a shake means you just have to count the holes left and not all of the pellets - just a couple of seconds.

There is no other way as you don't know how heavy each pellet is.

As said take ten weigh them and divide by ten,you then have the average pellet weight so can work out how many per ounce.

If no scales accurate enough,weigh out an ounce on kitchen scales and count the shot. Check scales against a know weight for accuracy.

To count an ounce worth don't take long.

To measure out more quickly,put the counted ounce in a empty shotgun case,cut down to flush with shot and use as a dipper.

Edited by figgy