Rucksack for walked up shooting

johnnytheboy

IF it has to be a rucksack, have a look at some of the fishing variety. I have one which I use when fishing some of the more remote waters.  It has a waist strap as well as the shoulder straps, which helps to stop it moving when negotiating fences etc.  Mine is sold by Airflow.

I would agree a fishing gillet or gundog gillet.

Also have a look at the photographer explorer types too and pick what suits your needs.

I use either my pigeon watch gamebag over my left shoulder but swing the bag round behind so weight is pulling back not down on my shoulder.

Or I use a large two pocket cartridge pouch on a belt and other stuff in my gillet pockets or cargo trouser pockets.

I don't like too much kit with me for walked up. Semi auto with sling or sxs over my arm. Small amount to drink and a nutrient bar. Some carts a pocket knife that's about it also mobile phone.

Link to some Decathlon hunting vests, if click.on them and scroll through the pictures you will see them doing walked up shooting.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-2458762-hunting-vests-and-gilets#product_8394390

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Folks, can anyone recommend a rucksack for walked up shooting, I get a right sore back with gamebags pulling me all to one side 

Might be worth trying another approach, list what you need to carry, plus number of dead birds and under what distance and conditions.

I.e. 25 rounds ammo, flask, gun slip, 5km hike, raining (it is scotland I assume?) etc

5 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Might be worth trying another approach, list what you need to carry, plus number of dead birds and under what distance and conditions.

I.e. 25 rounds ammo, flask, gun slip, 5km hike, raining (it is scotland I assume?) etc

Good shout there stonepark.

Scotland, hmm midge net another midge net,a gallon of deet. A Sou Wester, inflatable life raft if going inland, if near the coast full on closed in raft with ration pack. Big tub Trench foot powder. That should cover every not shooting related for a 5k walked up shoot. 😁😉