Ratty

Scully

I live in a converted barn, attached to an unused ( other than for storage ) but unconverted barn, and the back wall of my airing cupboard is separated from that barn by a modern breeze block wall. We get the odd mouse coming in for the warmth ( and the possibility of food ) in the colder weather, which are easily dealt with via a small mouse trap.

About three weeks ago my OH woke me in the night, saying there was something scratching at the inside of the airing cupboard door, and after telling her it was probably just a mouse I turned over. She was adamant it was something bigger than a mouse, and mentioned the word rat, which got my attention as they make my skin crawl. We have a mezzanine floor so we can hear anything going on downstairs, and next thing her labrador ( which is a completer wuss ) was upstairs and circling our bed looking decidedly worried, which he does whenever he hears a mouse! My Border would have ripped the place apart to get to either a mouse or a rat! 

Anyhow, the noise stopped after when the lights went on and I went downstairs, and a few droppings inside the airing cupboard the next morning confirmed what my OH said. We found a hole behind the tank, hard to get at, but after filling it with gravel and expanding foam thought that was the end of it. It wasn't.

After hearing noises again a few nights alter I placed a 'self set' rat trap in the cupboard and baited it with something, and next morning the food had gone and so had the rat. Ditto the following morning, and after having to give the trap a hefty thwack to spring it I realised why, so polished the sear and tried again. Same result.

Then we went away for the week. We were sat watching tv that evening when a sudden movement in the corner of my eye caused me to start as I saw a rat trot out of one of the bedrooms! The OH screamed, causing me to nearly soil myself, and the dog did a runner upstairs. Over went the sofa and chairs as i tried to find it but eventually I gave up, thinking it may have run out of the open door. We then realised we'd left the airing cupboard door open before we left! Anyhow, fairly sure we'd scared it off we eventually went to bed, only for OH to wake me in the early hours as she'd heard something downstairs, and sure enough when I put on the light the dog was standing next to the bed with his ears down! 🙄

I leant over the banister rail to peer into the lounge, just in time to see the rat run along the back of the sofa and disappear! Right, it was 0240 and down stairs I went, into gun room and returned with a MK4 Fenn trap....time to get serious! I opened the cupboard door ( so it could go home ) and baited the trap with rat poison and after tying it to the trap ( so it couldn't wander off with it and leave it somewhere the dog would find it ( unfortunately...but it's not my dog!) I set the Fenn and left it in the airing cupboard. Three days later the poison was untouched and we weren't disturbed. OH by now has a 10 lite tub of emulsion up against the cupboard door so the rat can't push it open! We heard it again on the inside of the cupboard over a week ago, but the poison wasn't being touched, so I removed the poison and baited it with banana skin. Next morning skin gone, trap still set....and no, I hadn't left the safety on! Tried avocado as I discovered I could wedge bits between the trigger plate and frame; same result, food gone, trap still set. Lucky bloody rat!  Took Fenn out and polished the sear to within an inch of its life, and had to engage safety before wedging in avocado as it was so fine now I sometimes triggered it wedging in bait. 

Ex keeper was having a good laugh when I was telling him about my exploits, especially when I told him I hadn't considered naming it yet but was growing attached! 😀

In bed a few night ago I heard the trap triggered, but wasn't convinced it sounded like it should, and rolled over and went to sleep thinking I'd got it, only to discover the food had gone and the trap triggered......but had left the safety on!!😫😫😂😭😭

Anyhow, last night OH woke me to say the trap had gone off, ( hadn't heard a thing! ) and sure enough we could hear squealing and the chain of the trap being moved. She was quite disturbed by this ( yes, you guessed, so was the dog ) but other than thinking it wasn't as instantaneous as I'd expected, I went back to sleep. This morning OH reckoned I'd find an amputated leg and that was all, but instead there was the entire rat, dead, pinned right across its chest. So, If anyone has a rat problem, bait your Fenn with avocado and sit back and wait...it's a doddle! 😂😂👍

Edited by Scully

22 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Jesus that was some rat! Think I'd have borrowed a terrier for a few nights. 

Btw are fen traps illegal yet? Or have u got that wrong, i remember hearing something about it a while back but can't remember the details 

Cracking story, made me chuckle 👍

can still be used for rats,i think fenn traps are illegal for stoats

Fenn are fine for rats at the min. I have 2 set in my chicken run as they ignore  the poison and I haven't time in the mornings if I take the chicken food away to always put it back out again. Fairer on the chicken to leave it. 

Caught 3 in the last week. The holes I filled in have not returned. A big dead one in the compost heap that must have had the poison. 

Still the food goes down so I left the fenns in place. Checked yesterday and had a massive grey squirrel that would have had to really squeeze himself into the tunnel. Strangely the food isint going down so fast  now and I've noticed I have more eggs with none broken/eaten in the coop.....

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

Very dirty animals as they urinate as the walk all around your house. Blacklight shows where they've been.

That's a black light on order then and lots of bleach!!

Had to laugh at a lab that's scared of well everything by the sounds of it, and can't believe you let the rat live as long as it did, were you leaving the telly on for it 🤣🤣

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's a black light on order then and lots of bleach!!

Had to laugh at a lab that's scared of well everything by the sounds of it, and can't believe you let the rat live as long as it did, were you leaving the telly on for it 🤣🤣

gotta love 'em though. we have a flatcoat who is sometimes afraid of the floor. he'll wake up some mornings and be scared of it, then pluck up the  courage to go across, which means he runs...which means he slips, which makes him even more scared! other days, he'll be absolutely fine and it won't even occur to him

that's an ace rat hunting story. it makes me kind of sad it's all over; this story needs a sequel!

Thanks all. Yeah, a very persistent rat. At one time I had both traps set and it would steal the food without triggering either; a polish of the Fenn sear and a very fine set did it in the end though. I had considered sitting up with the air rifle but OH wasn’t too keen. She just wanted it poisoned but I was enjoying trying to trap it, and there was a bit of pride involved too I suspect. 🙂

Yes, the lab’ is a real wuss, and before I arrived on the scene wouldn’t even go into undergrowth for his ball! He does now however, as I wouldn’t get it for him, and despite running off to hide when I fired a shot on his first driven day, he now lays down beside my peg while I shoot, and retrieves birds like a good un. 👍

Switch the hoover on however, and he’s upstairs like a shot! 

I had a few Mk4/6`s set for a mink/rat near a watercourse and one trap was always getting attention with some of the bait going but no tripping of the trap, eventually I found the culprit was a field mouse as he got caught by the tail.

Might have been the same occuring with your trap Scully?

19 hours ago, figgy said:

Mix broken glass with cement to fill the hole, if they try to chew through the glass should deter them.

I would have got the air rifle out after a few nights.

Was going to be my suggestion too, as resilient as Ratty McRat can be, he can’t gnaw through broken bottles.

7 hours ago, henry d said:

I had a few Mk4/6`s set for a mink/rat near a watercourse and one trap was always getting attention with some of the bait going but no tripping of the trap, eventually I found the culprit was a field mouse as he got caught by the tail.

Might have been the same occuring with your trap Scully?

There could well have been a mouse involved at some point, but the only droppings we found were too big for a mouse.