Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
snow white

Name this reel

Recommended Posts

Looks like some type of sidecaster, you removed the drum from the spindle and placed on the protruding arm to cast in the same way a fixed spool reel casts. Replaced on spindle to retrieve line. Liable to cause a lot of kinks in the line even when using s double swivels.

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

hello, looks like it has been added on, how is it fixed on ? its a Die - cast KP Morritts  new popular reel, started production just after WW2 in Cheam Surrey, my first fixed spool river reel was a Morritts, Monarch at 19 shilling a 6 pence  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Looks like some type of sidecaster, you removed the drum from the spindle and placed on the protruding arm to cast in the same way a fixed spool reel casts.

You got it in one !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Looks like some type of sidecaster, you removed the drum from the spindle and placed on the protruding arm to cast in the same way a fixed spool reel casts. Replaced on spindle to retrieve line. Liable to cause a lot of kinks in the line even when using s double swivels.

 

Blackpowder

I'm pretty sure that I've seen one before and  can't quite place it though, but think you've nailed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A famous sidecaster for sea fishing was the the Alvey from Australia, you just turned the drum, quite effective, but with a one to one retrieve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% sure but I remember that some of these could be placed on the spindle with handles out or in. You eliminated most of the line twist by casting with handles in for one cast then handles out the next which was repeated, the Alveys did kink to some extent but an extra swivel helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, islandgun said:

A famous sidecaster for sea fishing was the the Alvey from Australia, you just turned the drum, quite effective, but with a one to one retrieve

J W Youngs, do something similar. I had a pair for barbel fish, but line twist can be bad.

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/walton.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, i still say it was not part of the original reel but made and added on for a reason, which we can only speculate its use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is a part missing from centre of spool, the catch visible at 7 should be pulled, spool then removes &  clicks into front spindle allowing "side cast " & is then removed & placed back on reel the missing part is a plastic boss, same as on Rapidex Etc,& is fixed by 2 small screws, "Seajector?or something like that had one in 60,s.Grice & Young?

Edited by guzzicat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 19 June 2019 at 14:53, guzzicat said:

There is a part missing from centre of spool, the catch visible at 7 should be pulled, spool then removes &  clicks into front spindle allowing "side cast " & is then removed & placed back on reel the missing part is a plastic boss, same as on Rapidex Etc,& is fixed by 2 small screws, "Seajector?or something like that had one in 60,s.Grice & Young?

:good:

All falls into place now. The Grice and Young was the 'Jecta'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, wymberley said:

 

:good:

All falls into place now. The Grice and Young was the 'Jecta'.

hello, i have a nice Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme 111 :good:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2019 at 18:55, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a nice Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme 111 :good:

Nice pin, Gold? nearly as good as a Rapidex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...