Coloured Glasses Advice

Dibble

Hoping for a bit of advice please.

I struggle to see clays against some backgrounds and was wondering if tinted lenses would help. The ground I shoot at isn't allowed by the landlord to use orange clays and I struggle to see clays against the reddy/brown/sandy background. Polarised Ray-Bans didn't help.

Would colored lenses help? if so what colour? Or should I accept old age gracefully........

It is VERY difficult to advise on lens colour because what suits one person may not suit another. Can I suggest that you get a cheap pair of clear glasses to start with, then ask others at the ground if you could watch some of the targets through their different coloured lenses.  I always found yellow lenses to be too bright for me, but I have had a couple of eye operations and find most light too bright. I use a pale brownish/orange colour on dull days, darkening the colours if the day brightens. Try to avoid polarised lenses, they are a must for fishing, but a must to avoid for shooting. Unfortunately, most shooting glasses are made to enhance colours (except black).   Having seen a few accidents over the years at various shooting grounds, I can not put sufficient  emphasis on the need for eye protection. I  put my shooting glasses on in the car park at the ground and they stay on until I leave or go into the clubhouse. Having lost the sight in 1 eye for a short time, it is NOT to be recommended, I can assure you.  I did buy a pair of er................cheap...........Pilla's  (£36) from Sportsman, they are again a brown/orange tint, and they have proved to be the BEST driving (daytime) glasses I have ever owned. 2 pairs of Raybans, now reside in the glove box. I have a range of different coloured Browning and Beretta glasses that I collected over time that I used for Instruction, you are welcome to borrow and try them, if you wish.    

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Here's one I found earlier!

Ah I found that thread but I'm already convinced about the impact protection just not sure about what different colours do, if anything!

55 minutes ago, Westley said:

It is VERY difficult to advise on lens colour because what suits one person may not suit another.

I'll start shopping then, I'm aware my eyes might be a bit unusual going by the fact I like Binoculars most people hate.

8 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Ah I found that thread but I'm already convinced about the impact protection just not sure about what different colours do, if anything!

I'll start shopping then, I'm aware my eyes might be a bit unusual going by the fact I like Binoculars most people hate.

I did offer to let you try various colours that I have,  to help you make you own mind up. I ended up with Pilla's and I am mid 70's.  It's only the Grandkids money, after all. 

Edited by Westley

Sorry I should have thanked you for the offer,  I'm in South London it so probably won't work.

I'm going to go with the

37 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Google, Eye level Interactive Shooting Glasses, about £40, 4 different lens colour.

and see which way to go.

I see you can spend over a thousand pounds with a set from Pilla if you try

PL-X6PRG6K.jpghttp://www.shootingglasses.co.uk/Pilla-Outlaw-X6-Progressive-6-Lens-Kit-(PL-X6PRG6K)

Edited by Dibble

The problem with getting older is a loss of contrast which can make a black clay even harder to see against a dark background. The usual colour choice is one which enhances the clay, but obviously that's no good with black, so the next best thing is a colour which enhances the background. Yellow is probably the best candidate but orange is a possible too. Begging friends to let you try their coloured glasses is what I'd recommend as the easiest and cheapest plan.

For improving contrast I find the rose/ copper from ESS ICE (an oakley firm) works well for my olde eyes ...  and as three blurb says they do make a good lense for driving. Found on mil surp sites 

On 03/06/2019 at 21:03, Dibble said:

You just have to try a few. The shooting of the glasses in the picture above was in response to a comment by a contributor who didn't trust modern safety specs.

The reason I like the set featured is that they can be had for £7 and, for me, work really well in low light or dull conditions and are optically correct right up to the top edge, which is where my eye is when I'm mounted.  

I had a look through an expensive set a few years ago, can't describe the colour very well as it was too long ago, except to say that if my memory is correct it was a reddish tint, made the orange clays glow like a lamp, which was impressive. Good for DTL but not for a black edge on sporting clay flying against dark background. 

I still prefer shooting without, but thats not tenable on many grounds that I like to shoot so I'm just sticking glasses on and getting on with it. . 

It's so personal, you just have to try each shade. Or go and see Ed Lyons up in Wolverhampton. He gave me some purple lenses in my personal preferred purple (for orange clays). And now he's producing them in polarised versions too! He can take you through all kinds of tests. ££ but worth it to me.