14 hours ago, Dougy said:

Have a Google for pet supplies ground nut media 

Just an example. 

Sand Blasting Walnut Shell Cabinet Tumbler Polisher Grit 5kg 0.5-1mm 16/50 Mesh
£22.99
Amazon.co.uk

I managed to order 2kg of media via Amazon Prime for £8:76. But will be looking to get more in due course.:good:

11 hours ago, Andy H said:

I read your post after I had ordered via Amazon. But will order more from the above in due course. Thanks.:good:

Brasso.

Just add about a desert spoon. I suppose over years it will weaken the brass and it will then blow up 1/2 of the UK but the brass would be work hardened that much by that time you will scrap it anyway. Im still on my 1st lott of media that came with the tumbler and thats over 10 years. Still got 10 digits and an ugly face. 

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Whilw I'm on the subject, has anyone got a 'recipe' for adding something to help shine the brass? I've been told that Brasso is not suitable as it can wear the brass down.

Your best place for supplies is the jewellery trade, barrelbright is what a lot use for polishing jewellery in a barrel, usually with small stainless steel shot…https://www.hswalsh.com/product/barrelbrite-barrelling-powder-1kg-tb941

And…https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/barrelling-media

Mind you one jeweller I know uses biological washing powder, seemed to work ok.

A couple of questions please.

Can I ask why you do not use small round stainless shot (2mm) for polishing your cases?

My rifle exploits stretch as far as .22 air rifle and .22 rim fire, so the question I have for you big boys is….why do you only anneal the neck of the case, why not the whole case?

Few more choices, walnut shell….https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Walnut+Shell+Polishing+Media+for+Tumbler&_sacat=0

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Your best place for supplies is the jewellery trade, barrelbright is what a lot use for polishing jewellery in a barrel, usually with small stainless steel shot…https://www.hswalsh.com/product/barrelbrite-barrelling-powder-1kg-tb941

And…https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/barrelling-media

Mind you one jeweller I know uses biological washing powder, seemed to work ok.

A couple of questions please.

Can I ask why you do not use small round stainless shot (2mm) for polishing your cases?

My rifle exploits stretch as far as .22 air rifle and .22 rim fire, so the question I have for you big boys is….why do you only anneal the neck of the case, why not the whole case?

Few more choices, walnut shell….https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Walnut+Shell+Polishing+Media+for+Tumbler&_sacat=0

Because I use a vibratory dry tumbler, and stainless steel shot/pins will not work with this.

I haven't annealed mine yet, but the neck of the cartridge is the area where it's compressed/reformed when using dies, so only the neck, and a few mm lower needs to be annealed.

Most of the media sold via Ebay has + postage, so not so cheap.

Thanks for the links anyway. Much appreciated.:good:

19 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Because I use a vibratory dry tumbler, and stainless steel shot/pins will not work with this.

I haven't annealed mine yet, but the neck of the cartridge is the area where it's compressed/reformed when using dies, so only the neck, and a few mm lower needs to be annealed.

Most of the media sold via Ebay has + postage, so not so cheap.

Thanks for the links anyway. Much appreciated.:good:

When you start annealing Steve (if you havent done it before) check out a great topic on the stalking directory on this subject I have just done a load of my cases that went well using nothing but a blow torch a battery drill and a bar of laundry soap. 

14 minutes ago, Zetter said:

When you start annealing Steve (if you havent done it before) check out a great topic on the stalking directory on this subject I have just done a load of my cases that went well using nothing but a blow torch a battery drill and a bar of laundry soap. 

Thanks. I've seen a few video's of it being done, and a friend of mine knows someone who makes annealing machines. I'll check it out on the SD site though. :good:

Do you have a link to the thread on the SD site?

Well, the media I bought arrived yesterday, and my first impression was that it was too fine. But I thought I'd try it anyway, and what a waste of money. The cases were only slightly tarnished, and after leaving them vibrate for just over an hour, hardly anything was removed from them. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. :unhappy:

The product I purchased was 'Smart Reloader Extreme Brass Cleaner'. :no:

I've now got to go and buy different media!

Thats no good! Whats it made of? The RCBS stuff im using (walnut husk) hasnt been changed in a couple of years and works luvverly with a bit of polish. 1hr if they are relatively clean, 2-3hrs for shiny shiny! I put a sheet of kitchen roll in the tumbler (torn into several bits) this collects all the dust and you just chuck it after each batch. Be aware the dust off tumblers is full of nasties, dont breathe it in, run it in a garage/outhouse if you can. Dont touch the brass with your bare hands as this will mark the cases. I use a cheap plastic salad dryer to get all the media out. My Smartreloader tumbler does a good job, I found the ultrsnc.cleaner is good for primer pockets and inside of case necks but only takes 20 and its a bit of a faff rinsing/drying properly. I try to do all case prep before tumbling so they go straight into air tight ziplock bags then into screwtop coffee jars. 

They stay shiny for a long time like that!

Don't give up, it's worth the effort.

20190612_160113.jpg

Edited by moor man

On 09/06/2019 at 18:57, steve_b_wales said:

Well, the media I bought arrived yesterday, and my first impression was that it was too fine. But I thought I'd try it anyway, and what a waste of money. The cases were only slightly tarnished, and after leaving them vibrate for just over an hour, hardly anything was removed from them. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

The product I purchased was 'Smart Reloader Extreme Brass Cleaner'.

I've now got to go and buy different media!

Have you tried rice ?
Read it somewhere a while back.

Maybe a little squirt of car wax to coat it.

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Have you tried rice ?
Read it somewhere a while back.

Maybe a little squirt of car wax to coat it.

No, I haven't tried it. I've also read about it somewhere. I might add some car polish to the Smart Reloader media to see if that helps, before I bin it.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

No, I haven't tried it. I've also read about it somewhere. I might add some car polish to the Smart Reloader media to see if that helps, before I bin it.

Worth a try for what it costs.
I wouldnt put too much in or itll go soggy and not cut, for rice and nut.

1 hour ago, moor man said:

Thats no good! Whats it made of? The RCBS stuff im using (walnut husk) hasnt been changed in a couple of years and works luvverly with a bit of polish. 1hr if they are relatively clean, 2-3hrs for shiny shiny! I put a sheet of kitchen roll in the tumbler (torn into several bits) this collects all the dust and you just chuck it after each batch. Be aware the dust off tumblers is full of nasties, dont breathe it in, run it in a garage/outhouse if you can. Dont touch the brass with your bare hands as this will mark the cases. I use a cheap plastic salad dryer to get all the media out. My Smartreloader tumbler does a good job, I found the ultrsnc.cleaner is good for primer pockets and inside of case necks but only takes 20 and its a bit of a faff rinsing/drying properly. I try to do all case prep before tumbling so they go straight into air tight ziplock bags then into screwtop coffee jars. 

They stay shiny for a long time like that!

Don't give up, it's worth the effort.

20190612_160113.jpg

I've have a check to see what the media I bought is made of. I use a Lyman L1200 Turbo which works well. The last media was walnut shell too, and I should have kept it. I use my ultra sonic cleaner first with some Birchwood Casey brass cleaner. This cleans the insides well, and then put them in the tumbler.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Worth a try for what it costs.
I wouldnt put too much in or itll go soggy and not cut, for rice and nut.

I think the media is so fine, the polish won't work. I have got some car wax spray somewhere, so I'll add that and see how it goes. In anycase, I'm planing on getting rid of the media.

43 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've have a check to see what the media I bought is made of. I use a Lyman L1200 Turbo which works well. The last media was walnut shell too, and I should have kept it. I use my ultra sonic cleaner first with some Birchwood Casey brass cleaner. This cleans the insides well, and then put them in the tumbler.

I think the media is so fine, the polish won't work. I have got some car wax spray somewhere, so I'll add that and see how it goes. In anycase, I'm planing on getting rid of the media.

The Smart Reloader media is Corn Cob Treaty. I presume that 12/24 media is 'bigger' that 16/36?