Jumping Up at Strangers

Aled

OK all lots of dog experience on this site so here goes: I've got a very lovable mongrel (NZ Huntaway x Labrador) 18 months old, he has a great temperament, and is a great family pet, and is in with a chance of being a gundog, however I have one issue which I'm struggling to deal with. Whenever he meets strangers, he runs towards them as fast as he can and with tail wagging flat out he often jumps up at them. His intentions are friendly, but I cant seem to stop him doing it, and sooner or later he's going to knock somebody over. How can i stop this? Will he grow out of it? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Aled  

Does he do it with you  or any other family members ? 

If so  you have to stop it there first .

No jumping up on the sofa .or bed .or up at the side board or table .

The dog has to know its feet stay firmly  on the ground .

Teach him that first and the rest will follow .

First you need to be able to stop him in his tracks. Once you have achieved that you should be able to stop him before he actually has chance to take a jump in his excitement, you then need to enlist the help of a friend or willing family member and get them to put their hand out as he comes to greet them - push him back with the open hand against his chest and force him to sit - then reward him - no stop and sit - no reward.

Any dog which jumps up at me meets my knee coming in the opposite direction, not to harm the dog but to deter. Doesn't normalltake twice to learn, but you as owner 'operator' need to be hard on this before it becomes ingrained.

I have never given dogs rewards. I never had one when I was a child, good behaviour was instilled from day one.

Edited by Walker570

I have always taught my dogs to sit to receive a fuss and if they moved fuss stopped  also reiterated to others to do the same makes life easier later on 

an old training trick for stopping a dog running in was a long lead blow the whistle and pull the lead at the same time stopping the dog dead in his tracks even upending the dog as a last resort when all else has failed , nowadays electric collars,  but only when basic training has been successful and after time the dog has become self employed and ignores you, if you have not done your basic obedience training its time to start a lot of problems can be traced back to basic obedience training a lot of gundog trainers do basic training classes / videos 

Edited by Saltings

11 hours ago, Saltings said:

I have always taught my dogs to sit to receive a fuss and if they moved fuss stopped  also reiterated to others to do the same makes life easier later on 

an old training trick for stopping a dog running in was a long lead blow the whistle and pull the lead at the same time stopping the dog dead in his tracks even upending the dog as a last resort when all else has failed , nowadays electric collars,  but only when basic training has been successful and after time the dog has become self employed and ignores you, if you have not done your basic obedience training its time to start a lot of problems can be traced back to basic obedience training a lot of gundog trainers do basic training classes / videos 

100%...................