Growing lettuce

30-6

I am growing a couple of containers of veg with my 4 year old granddaughter. Beans, carrots, strawberries and lettuce.

The lettuce are the ones that you pick a leaf off and it re-grows and are various coloured leaves. 

Question is, I dilute phostrogen as a fertiliser, and the lettuce are very close together. Can I just water over the leaves and wash before eating ? Or should I avoid getting any fertiliser onto the leaves ?

I tend to put fertilizer on initially prior to planting which is normally more than enough to produce nice lettuce.  Obviously give the leaves a good rinsing anyway.

If the lettuce are in full growth then water the liquid at the base with one of those small watering cans used for pot plants. It then puts it where it is needed.

You shouldn't need to fertilize it. Wash the leaves if you do.  I haven't fed my veg for years and use the same patch each time. Occasional bit of compost before planting every other year. Grows like mad and saves a fortune on salad from the supermarket. 

I don't bother with carrots as they look good till you pull them and find they hit a stone or speck of dust and stopped growing. Also it's 45p for a bag from the supermarket. Small ones that are sweet being the exception. 

Save your money and just water them. Pick every other one out if you want bigger plants but if it's cut and come again then you'll be fine either way. Strawberries ive never fed and get plenty, same for beans. All it needs is a sunny spot and regular watering. If it goes dry salad may bolt depending on what your growing. Plant a new bag up every 4 weeks to keep it going. 

Chard is good for over wintering and looks good if you get the multi coloured variety. 

Garden plants I feed twice a year. 

Well I had a brain wave. Read that fertiliser is best into the roots, so invented a " close cropping lettuce special irrigation tool " ( patent pending ). A funnel jammed into a short length of 10mm plastic pipe. Wiggle said pipe between close cropping lettuce and tip in irrigation solution of choice. Sorted.

Bet Ditchman hasn't made one.

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

Well I had a brain wave. Read that fertiliser is best into the roots, so invented a " close cropping lettuce special irrigation tool " ( patent pending ). A funnel jammed into a short length of 10mm plastic pipe. Wiggle said pipe between close cropping lettuce and tip in irrigation solution of choice. Sorted.

Bet Ditchman hasn't made one.

Oh I bet he has fat Sarah did love a colonic irrigation