Fibre wad cartridges in gas semi auto

Croohur

I am buying my first semi auto, a Yildiz only a couple of years old, and someone mentioned to me that you cant shoot fibre wads through gas semi autos like Berettas and the Yildiz I am buying. I hadnt heard this before and was expecting to continue using fibre wads on the farm as I have done for the past while on my o/u. Can anyone enlighten me? Not much on the internet about it, but nothing seems to be explicitly saying not to. This guy does have a lot of experience so usually happy to take his advice.

4 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Have not had a problem with fibre wads in an Armsan 610 - 30g 6's

Thats good - he seemed to be saying the fibre wads disintegrate and clog up the gas ports - I know gas semis are dirtier than say inertia systems such as Benelli, but had never heard this before. But as a newbie to all this - just wanted to get peoples views!

2 minutes ago, stu64 said:

I use fibre wad in my hatsan with no problems. don't know why fibre would make a difference really.

I know, thats why I was suprised at this. I often see the fibre wads on the ground and most look pretty intact, certainly they keep their shape for the most part.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

expert 

x being the unknown factor and a spurt being a drip under pressure 

IMHO any decent cartridge should work in any gun, fibre wad types have a gas check to maintain the pressure. The only thing you may find is that ultralight rounds,21g for example, may not cycle the action reliably, fibre or plastic wads

6 minutes ago, impala59 said:

expert 

x being the unknown factor and a spurt being a drip under pressure 

IMHO any decent cartridge should work in any gun, fibre wad types have a gas check to maintain the pressure. The only thing you may find is that ultralight rounds,21g for example, may not cycle the action reliably, fibre or plastic wads

Could that also be called an obturator?

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Could that also be called an obturator?

As I understand it, an obturator wad is connected to a shot cup by means of a spring type arrangement and will seal to the barrel walls to maintain pressure. These are, as far as I know plastic in construction. In my experience from reloading fibre (all I use) the gas check is a harder fibre that seals the powder “in the case” from the softer wadding and does not maintain that seal into the barrel. I have experimented with various materials for cost reasons but concluded that the proprietary “gas checks” are the best at getting reliable cycling in my auto’s so maybe there is an element of  barrel sealing also taking place. Also using gas checks avoids unburnt powder and seems to keep everything relatively clean. I am sure that the serious reloaders on the forum have much to add in this vast field. 

All I really know is that my reloads perform as well if not better than much of the ammunition out there and the reloading is as much a part of my hobby as is the shooting 

Edited by impala59

3 hours ago, impala59 said:

As I understand it, an obturator wad is connected to a shot cup by means of a spring type arrangement and will seal to the barrel walls to maintain pressure. These are, as far as I know plastic in construction. In my experience from reloading fibre (all I use) the gas check is a harder fibre that seals the powder “in the case” from the softer wadding and does not maintain that seal into the barrel. I have experimented with various materials for cost reasons but concluded that the proprietary “gas checks” are the best at getting reliable cycling in my auto’s so maybe there is an element of  barrel sealing also taking place. Also using gas checks avoids unburnt powder and seems to keep everything relatively clean. I am sure that the serious reloaders on the forum have much to add in this vast field. 

All I really know is that my reloads perform as well if not better than much of the ammunition out there and the reloading is as much a part of my hobby as is the shooting 

Many of our current problems can be said to be down to the various versions of the English language. Is a "gas check" some foreign version of, in English, an "obturator"?  An example of these will be found in, say, a Rottweil fibre wadded cartridge along with many other makes no doubt.

On 05/06/2019 at 19:58, Croohur said:

Thanks everyone for their input. Just goes to show even the most knowledgble fellows can get it wrong every now and again. 

There is a lesson to be learned here...

I know many people who think they are knowledgeable, when in reality....

We are all learning constantly, wouldn’t it be boring if we all knew everything! Mind you, I have met a few over the years who say they do!

Maybe ‘gas check ‘ is an Americanism that I’ve picked up or that’s been adopted, obturator is, I believe, also a medical term. The English language evolves, I am sure we will one day only use txt spk so to speak

Edited by impala59