Asking a farmer for permission

Jacko3275

If its dairy about 0930 after milking. When the birds are hitting the crops. When you get there and you see him. I think you just have to go for it. If I want to speak with any of mine i will call at 0930 they are washing up or having breakfast or alternatively early evening. In the day they could be anywhere. 

watch their land ...and when they have birds hitting their crops....drop by and say "i noticed the pigeons are dropping in on your crops in the field next to the wood.....may i have a go at them ?" or something like that ..............

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

watch their land ...and when they have birds hitting their crops....drop by and say "i noticed the pigeons are dropping in on your crops in the field next to the wood.....may i have a go at them ?" or something like that ..............

Is there a way way to get hold of a a boundary map for which farm owns what fields 

35 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Is there a way way to get hold of a a boundary map for which farm owns what fields 

Your very first course of action is to find the pigeons , then find out what the crop they are feeding on , and then start off by asking at the nearest farm if they know who farm the Pea field half a mile down the road behind the telephone box , this might be harder than it sound as now a lot of work is contracted out , but you need to start somewhere .

A good time , if there is such a thing , would be between 9.30 and 10.30 am when the farm staff are having there tea break and the owner is having his , it would also be a good idea to find the fields in your area that Pigeons would be likely to be feeding on , around my way it would now be Peas , moving on to the end of the month you would need to be looking for any laid bits of Barley , then Wheat followed by Beans.

Without you going on the growing crop you would find it difficult obtaining permission to shoot a stubble field so if you want shooting get out when you leave off work and start by finding the pigeons , do your homework and start knocking on doors , GOOD LUCK 

36 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Your very first course of action is to find the pigeons , then find out what the crop they are feeding on , and then start off by asking at the nearest farm if they know who farm the Pea field half a mile down the road behind the telephone box , this might be harder than it sound as now a lot of work is contracted out , but you need to start somewhere .

A good time , if there is such a thing , would be between 9.30 and 10.30 am when the farm staff are having there tea break and the owner is having his , it would also be a good idea to find the fields in your area that Pigeons would be likely to be feeding on , around my way it would now be Peas , moving on to the end of the month you would need to be looking for any laid bits of Barley , then Wheat followed by Beans.

Without you going on the growing crop you would find it difficult obtaining permission to shoot a stubble field so if you want shooting get out when you leave off work and start by finding the pigeons , do your homework and start knocking on doors , GOOD LUCK 

Cheers it all sounds like good advice and I will do as said If I’m too late I’ll have to wait for winter rape i guess 

41 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Cheers it all sounds like good advice and I will do as said If I’m too late I’ll have to wait for winter rape i guess 

You are certainly not to late , the Pea campaign don't start around here for another 3/4 weeks as our Peas are now in flower and the first signs of small pods should be next week .

It is now raining and we should get some heavy showers before the end of the week , an ideal combination for laid bits of Barley is wind and heavy rain , the winter barley will be the first to go down rather than the Spring variety which will be a bit later .

Wheat don't go down so much nowadays due to shorter and stronger stems but worth keeping an eye on when the grain it get to the milky stage

Beans is a hit and miss crop , some will get good shooting and others will get very little or nothing.

Rape is a Marmite crop , some like shooting it and a lot don't due to the vast quantity grown , but you might have a long wait as last years drilling dont come off till late July / early August and this years new planting wont be worth going on till around Christmas .

Where about are you based ??

10 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Rotherham South Yorkshire 

Sorry I can't help you out due to the distance involved but some kind members around your way might be willing to put you in the right direction with what to do and how to go about obtaining permission , failing that , have a look to see if there are any Wood Pigeon shooting clubs that have land to go on in your neck of the woods , GOOD LUCK and remember if you want anything bad enough there will be ways and means to get it , just keep at it .

You need to travel around and look for birds feeding. Before the end of this month you will get birds feeding on laid barley , this can be a difficult crop to shoot as you can do more damage to the crop than the birds due to picking up shot birds. If possible decoy laid barley close to a sitty tree ( a tree they land in prior to dropping in on the crop) make you hide on the hedge and drop the birds below the tree walk the tram lines when you pick up. 

So you find your field, now find the farmer or owner. Ask locally to the field for directions. You may be lucky and when you ask they request you shoot their field instead. 

Another method is to ask all your friends if they have a farmer friend, who you could talk to . Anybody with horses may know a farmer , what skills have you that you could offer a farmer , welder , car mechanic etc.

You find the farmer / owner introduce yourself, I notice that you have had birds feeding on your downed barley , I was wondering if you would let me have a day's shooting to move them off. I will respect the crop and all hedges, will only shoot pigeons and crows. I'm fully insured. I will only come on your land after informing you and not bring any other shooter without requesting your permission.

At this point if you have other permissions mention that you shoot on Blah Blah farm but be careful as they may not get on so. Do not take rejection to heart , one of my best permissions took at least six requests. 

If you get permission respect it , thank the farmer after and inform him of the number shot, you being there will deter birds so you have offered him a service for free.

Good luck and keep asking.

Some people just seem to have the knack - guy I used to shoot with seemed to be able to walk past a Farm and the owner would come running out after him begging him to shoot there! Be confident and if you are rejected ask if you can come back in a years time and ask again - gives the impression that you are not just a chancer. Learn a little about farms and crops - it pays if you can engage the farmer in conversation that he feels comfortable with.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 10:43, pigeon controller said:

You need to travel around and look for birds feeding. Before the end of this month you will get birds feeding on laid barley , this can be a difficult crop to shoot as you can do more damage to the crop than the birds due to picking up shot birds. If possible decoy laid barley close to a sitty tree ( a tree they land in prior to dropping in on the crop) make you hide on the hedge and drop the birds below the tree walk the tram lines when you pick up. 

So you find your field, now find the farmer or owner. Ask locally to the field for directions. You may be lucky and when you ask they request you shoot their field instead. 

Another method is to ask all your friends if they have a farmer friend, who you could talk to . Anybody with horses may know a farmer , what skills have you that you could offer a farmer , welder , car mechanic etc.

You find the farmer / owner introduce yourself, I notice that you have had birds feeding on your downed barley , I was wondering if you would let me have a day's shooting to move them off. I will respect the crop and all hedges, will only shoot pigeons and crows. I'm fully insured. I will only come on your land after informing you and not bring any other shooter without requesting your permission.

At this point if you have other permissions mention that you shoot on Blah Blah farm but be careful as they may not get on so. Do not take rejection to heart , one of my best permissions took at least six requests. 

If you get permission respect it , thank the farmer after and inform him of the number shot, you being there will deter birds so you have offered him a service for free.

Good luck and keep asking.

thats what i have been doing for the past month, every chance i get i drive to a new farm, got one saying i must come back in oct rest are no sorry, so i just keep trying.

someone has to just be having a good day and to say yeah gone on.