National Service

B725

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two Grandfathers were soldiers, my father too.   My brother and I joined, both my sons joined, my eldest Grandson is now a Sergeant,   his brother is trying to get into Sandhurst at the moment and the Granddaughter has thought about it.   My wife's family are pretty similar.   That's what some families do.

However, we were all volunteers except my brother who was called up in WW2.   When I was 'in', National Service was in full swing and stopped about 5 years before my demob.   There were some super chaps doing there two years and it was a pleasure to serve with them.   But they all had one thing in common - They didn't want to be there. 

Then there were the others - rebellious, undisciplined, scruffy - total waste of time and resources for the services.   I doubt it did them any good and it certainly did not do the services any good.

Our armed forces are now much smaller and more professional.   You cannot be serious about thinking of dropping all the dross of modern society on them - surely?

14 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Absolutely correct, but we are where we are. Can't pretend the issue doesn't exist. Just need a government with enough strength to do something about it.

Having been there in the past, the main problems have been around their supervision. Personal safety, making them turn up on time, making them do something other than smoke.

A complete waste of time and money 20 years ago, never mind with todays attitudes.

On 05/06/2019 at 19:39, Harnser said:

What makes you think the armed forces would want these people . They need people who can can wipe their own back sides and tie their own shoe laces .

harnser 

Quite. They are useless civilians. Why spend time money and effort into turning them into useless military beings.

On 06/06/2019 at 17:41, arm3000gt said:

I can see where you are coming from but when was the last time you walked or drove somewhere? Did on that journey did you note rubbish in a hedge row, a grass verge or path overgrown? There aren't enough people employed to keep up with what is required to be done. 

If they had to pick it up perhaps they would be less inclined to dump their mac bags in the street.